Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

So, no rear lockup with same PFCs F/R (I hated those pads BTW) yet you stagger compounds with DTCs. Assuming all else being equal doesn’t that seem illogical? Isn’t it reasonable to at least wonder whether you could brake even better with more rear bite?

For you I would recommend Cobalt 3/3 as a starting point.

Illogical?  Hmm...not without more data, no.  Both setups could be under-performing in the rear---that would be the logical explanation.  However, that does support a hypothesis that there is more braking potential available in the rear...even with matched pads.  So, yes that's a reasonable conclusion.  

I didn't stagger the compounds with any specific intention.  Truth be told, I was happy with the pcf97s.  When they went off the market I asked for the next most similar pads...and was recommended the 60/30 combo.  

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm also looking at G-Loc.  

I didn't stagger the compounds with any specific intention.  Truth be told, when the PFC97 went off the market I asked for the next most similar pads...and was recommended the 60/30 combo.  

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39

Danny, for you I recommend the 2s in front and the 3s in back.

https://www.cobaltfr...cles.asp?ID=252

Steve, I ran Cobalts for several years, loved the initial bite and modulation. However the pads would break into pieces as they neared the rivets and once had a piece get lodged between the pad and rotor and almost put me in the wall at Road America. Switched to Carbotechs, ran them for many years, loved their brakes, and moved to G-Loc when the split happened. Been very happy with the G-Locs, and their support and advice. 

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Steve, I ran Cobalts for several years, loved the initial bite and modulation. However the pads would break into pieces as they neared the rivets and once had a piece get lodged between the pad and rotor and almost put me in the wall at Road America. Switched to Carbotechs, ran them for many years, loved their brakes, and moved to G-Loc when the split happened. Been very happy with the G-Locs, and their support and advice.

Must have been a long time ago, they haven’t used rivets for years. Interestingly, we abandoned Carbotech back then for much the same reason, and they came apart in a single weekend at Blackhawk. No doubt they too have changed over the years.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I found the cobalts to kind of glaze over or heat cycle out? Plenty of pad left but they had not bite.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

I found the cobalts to kind of glaze over or heat cycle out? Plenty of pad left but they had not bite.

Guessing that was a long time ago? We never experienced that, and I’ve not heard it from people I know running them on much heavier and faster cars.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Guessing that was a long time ago? We never experienced that, and I’ve not heard it from people I know running them on much heavier and faster cars.

2009-10, back when Bench was still working for a living :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
Circa 2016 Ross was running cobalt 3-5 or 2-5. Loved them but he had me installing a new set daily because the drop off in performance could be felt. I selfishly ran the take outs as my results really didn’t matter as much as customer results. I swapped Ross over to g-loc 18-12 and never went back
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Circa 2016 Ross was running cobalt 3-5 or 2-5. Loved them but he had me installing a new set daily because the drop off in performance could be felt. I selfishly ran the take outs as my results really didn’t matter as much as customer results. I swapped Ross over to g-loc 18-12 and never went back

Surely 3-5, but still surprising he had a drop in performance, that is absolutely not our experience and when Max Nufer has driven our cars, both NA and NB, he has been particularly impressed by the brakes. But 3-5 is also relying entirely too much on the fronts IMO, the 1.6 at least doesn’t stop well at all with that. I’d like to see the G-loc specs because 18-12 also seems like a lot of “bias”, but apparently they are very fine gradations so maybe not.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

2009-10, back when Bench was still working for a living :)

Sheeeet, this Bench gave that up in 2000. :rotfl:

• Jim Drago and Danica Davison like this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Surely 3-5, but still surprising he had a drop in performance, that is absolutely not our experience and when Max Nufer has driven our cars, both NA and NB, he has been particularly impressed by the brakes. But 3-5 is also relying entirely too much on the fronts IMO, the 1.6 at least doesn’t stop well at all with that. I’d like to see the G-loc specs because 18-12 also seems like a lot of “bias”, but apparently they are very fine gradations so maybe not.

I find the number splits to be more heat range based. Aka optimal heat range for proper performance. Especially the rear.
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

I swapped Ross over to g-loc 18-12 and never went back

What is he running now? :smash:  :lol:

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

I find the number splits to be more heat range based. Aka optimal heat range for proper performance. Especially the rear.

Hmmm... never used them, but the corrent Cobalts are FAR less temperature dependent than others we’ve run.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

Hmmm... never used them, but the corrent Cobalts are FAR less temperament dependent than others we’ve run.

What kind of temperament do they prefer?  angry, happy, bat-shit crazy? 

-tch

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

What kind of temperament do they prefer? angry, happy, bat-shit crazy?

As Bench would say :rotfl:

Fixed.

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
I usually go for bat shit crazy
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

I usually go for bat shit crazy

Yeah. Me too. Hence the long haired redhead.
  • Danny Steyn likes this

-tch

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

I’ll put it in simple combos so people can save money trying. Best all around combo is 16/12 g-loc for an nb car.
12-10 for a 1.6 car. 8/8 for wrl,lemons,chump ect and 6-6 for autocross/aggressive daily

Thank you!  My brake sponsorship has never materialized. ;)  So, this is almost as good. :)

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Region:Minnesota

After racing this weekend at Blackhawk and paying more attention to how the braking feels I can understand the comments on the XP10/8 combo. It's a lot of pedal pressure to get the threshold and offers quite a bit of modulation range that probably isn't needed (unless the track is wet). I used up these pads and have a 12/10 combo on the way for the next race. Should be fun to try a different compound.

http://jenkinsracing.com

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

After racing this weekend at Blackhawk and paying more attention to how the braking feels I can understand the comments on the XP10/8 combo. It's a lot of pedal pressure to get the threshold and offers quite a bit of modulation range that probably isn't needed (unless the track is wet). I used up these pads and have a 12/10 combo on the way for the next race. Should be fun to try a different compound.

I don't think I'm giving any state secrets away, but according to this post, @Danny was running 24/12:  https://nasaspeed.ne...s-biggest-fans/.

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
24 carbotech= 18 g loc
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users