• Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
Squirrel!

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

• Tom Hampton likes this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Whatever tire we move to should meet the following objectives IMO (in no particular order)

• Cost same or less than what we have now
  • Provides several more competitive heat cycles than what we have now
  • Widely available with a commitment from supplier of at least 5 years (contract should have an out on our part just in case it doesn't go well, R888?)
  • Durable, won't deconstruct under racing conditions
  • Prefer something molded in racing tread depth, not shaved
  • Less grippy compound (I do believe higher cornering forces with SM7's than previous are contributing to more bearing and bushing failures)
  • Good rain tire option, something with longer competitive life than H2O even if that takes another year to get in place
  • Good customer service from manufacturer
  • Transition to new tire by mid-2019, sooner better
  • Contingency program less important

To Frank's point we may find tire prep that provides some advantage here and there but hopefully most of that is eliminated with a longer lasting tire.  My guess is a purpose built tire will be better overall than a 200TW street tire but would be but open minded to a 200TW tire if it does the job well.  The Toyo RR from most of the feedback I've read/heard would do the job well.  Same tire as NASA in SCCA would be nice, but staying with Hoosier with a better-for-the-class tire would also be a positive IMO as they have served SCCA well. 

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Martinracing98

Martinracing98

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Whatever tire we move to should meet the following objectives IMO (in no particular order)

• Cost same or less than what we have now
  • Provides several more competitive heat cycles than what we have now
  • Widely available with a commitment from supplier of at least 5 years (contract should have an out on our part just in case it doesn't go well, R888?)
  • Durable, won't deconstruct under racing conditions
  • Prefer something molded in racing tread depth, not shaved
  • Less grippy compound (I do believe higher cornering forces with SM7's than previous are contributing to more bearing and bushing failures)
  • Good rain tire option, something with longer competitive life than H2O even if that takes another year to get in place
  • Good customer service from manufacturer
  • Transition to new tire by mid-2019, sooner better
  • Contingency program less important

To Frank's point we may find tire prep that provides some advantage here and there but hopefully most of that is eliminated with a longer lasting tire.  My guess is a purpose built tire will be better overall than a 200TW street tire but would be but open minded to a 200TW tire if it does the job well.  The Toyo RR from most of the feedback I've read/heard would do the job well.  Same tire as NASA in SCCA would be nice, but staying with Hoosier with a better-for-the-class tire would also be a positive IMO as they have served SCCA well. 

I agree with everything, with caution on the rain tire. Before Hoosier the SRF rain tire was a grooved version of the slick I believe. It was terrible!!! It was only marginally better than driving on slicks. When running mixed groups it was even worse because classes we were several seconds faster than in dry we were several seconds slower in rain. It caught many off guard and led to crashed and parked cars. 

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
[quote name="Tom Sager" post="109075" timestamp="1532478775"]Whatever tire we move to should meet the following objectives IMO (in no particular order)

Speak of the devil what does Todd have to say??

J~
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
It appears not much, I wouldn’t hold your breath on something new, but hey, good luck with that, lmao

J~
  • Steve Scheifler likes this

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

I would hope the SMAC has something to offer in this conversation. We were in close dialogue with Hoosier about this very issue when I last served, and I would hazard a guess that some testing might have been done by this time . 

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

BNaumann

BNaumann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Region:DET
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:67
You're gettin' a new tire and you're gonna like it. Thanks for your input.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

You're gettin' a new tire and you're gonna like it. Thanks for your input.

And it's going to fit on your existing rims.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I would hope the SMAC has something to offer in this conversation. We were in close dialogue with Hoosier about this very issue when I last served, and I would hazard a guess that some testing might have been done by this time . 

There has been some testing done, but i do not know much more than that.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

infamousjim

infamousjim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Region:Northeast
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:313

Why? If the majority SM memberships demands to return to Toyo is the club obliged to do so?

I've been wondering this same thing

Jim 

No Money Motorsports Blog - Racing On A Budget

NASA Northeast

SM #313

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

Why? If the majority SM memberships demands to return to Toyo is the club obliged to do so?

This sounds fine and all. But, this is why we trust the members on the SMAC, CRB, and BOD, to pay attention, listen, communicate, and act in the best interests of the members. If they don't represent the members well, we don't vote them in or we push to get them removed. How would you represent majority of SM memberships? There is no *SM Racing license*. If you used participation date, that would eliminate crew, mechanics, shop owners who don't race, etc.

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

This sounds fine and all. But, this is why we trust the members on the SMAC, CRB, and BOD, to pay attention, listen, communicate, and act in the best interests of the members. If they don't represent the members well, we don't vote them in or we push to get them removed. How would you represent majority of SM memberships? There is no *SM Racing license*. If you used participation date, that would eliminate crew, mechanics, shop owners who don't race, etc.

Danica, if you owned and raced a 1.6 previous to when the SMAC/CRB allowed open left vent and wrapping the snorkel tube, you wouldn't be so quick to use the word trust. Thank you Danny, SMAC/CRB members of that time frame. 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Danica, if you owned and raced a 1.6 previous to when the SMAC/CRB allowed open left vent and wrapping the snorkel tube, you wouldn't be so quick to use the word trust. Thank you Danny, SMAC/CRB members of that time frame.

I did though ...

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

How would you represent majority of SM memberships?

By asking them what they want?

To me contingency programs and trackside support are meaningless. In 17 years of SM racing I have never received a dollar of contingency money and I bought tires at the track exactly one time.

• Bench Racer and Steve Scheifler like this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

By asking them what they want?

To me contingency programs and trackside support are meaningless. In 17 years of SM racing I have never received a dollar of contingency money and I bought tires at the track exactly one time.

To your question .. how will you do that? Who gets to vote? How will you include everyone without including those that shouldn't be asked? I would argue that a large population don't read the forums.  

To your second point. I agree. I would much rather have a tire that can last three weekends and be competitive all three (with no contingency), than get a tire that lasts one competitive weekend (or less) and possibly receive a couple tires here and there which is difficult. Even regionally it is difficult. And I have been lucky enough over the last year or so to have won some tires here and there. But I have also purchased more tires than I would have liked to as well.

• Jaysz28 likes this

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

I would argue that a large population don't read the forums.  

I receive SCCA surveys through email all the time.

If I was compiling the mailing list I would include anyone who entered an SCCA event as an SM (SMSE?, SSM?) in the past 12 months.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Region:Minnesota

When I first started I thought it would be great to win some free tires, but now that I'm in my second year I can see why people don't care about it. As it was said on here someplace, contingency is almost always the poor subsidizing the rich. However I think Toyo has the same contingency program anyways. I have never used track support.

http://jenkinsracing.com

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

I receive SCCA surveys through email all the time.

If I was compiling the mailing list I would include anyone who entered an SCCA event as an SM (SMSE?, SSM?) in the past 12 months.

Yes, I have also given that a thought. But, how many people you think actually fill it out? What % is enough to base a decision off of? I'd be curious to know what the response rate on the surveys is. That could help, but, I don't think the results of the survey would be the end all be all.

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users