Foleyracing3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Region:Rocky Mountain
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:132

hello,

i am building an nb and i am looking to gain more headroom as i am 6'3 210lbs. i have a kirkey 71 series containment seat (16"). i am leaning towards installing a drop floor to gain more headroom but my main concern is the drop floor coming into contact with the ground. the drop floor sits flush with the oem "frame rails" and we all know how badly those can be bent and beat up in spec miata. does anyone have experience with the drop floor that can shed some light on my concern? also if you have any other recommendations for fitting me into my car that would be greatly appreciated. 

thank you for your time!

• Danica Davison likes this

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9

Your concerns are correct but the safety as far as headroom goes is worth it.  Make sure you build it strong--make it a skid plate...

Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Foleyracing3

Foleyracing3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Your concerns are correct but the safety as far as headroom goes is worth it.  Make sure you build it strong--make it a skid plate...

i was looking at a pre made drop floor by advance autosport. is there any modifications to be made to help it last? and do they last a good amount of time?

thanks for the help

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

The Advanced Autosports kit includes a width extension (from door jam into tunnel by a couple inches to better center seat without tilting it inward) and it looks like they provide a new section of vertical frame rail as you call it. Have you called Dave at AA and asked your questions. If you've never talked with Dave he sometimes comes on like Mr. Curmudgeon, but really a knowledgeable and nice guy. 

https://www.advanced...iata-floor-drop

Mr. 2 time Jim Drago (site owner) is somewhere around 6-3 and maybe 300# depending on his eating habits for the week and he fits. :bigsquaregrin:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dc2696

dc2696

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Region:Edmonton
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:96

I've put my drop floor into a few curbs, with my kirkey bolted to the floor it was fairly unpleasant, after side mounting the seat and giving it a slight air gap its not as terrible of a feeling. The floor itself takes a beating but has held up well thus far, I would recommend doing it.

- the faster you go

- the longer you live

FE3 Miata

NB2 SM

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

hello,

i am building an nb and i am looking to gain more headroom as i am 6'3 210lbs. i have a kirkey 71 series containment seat (16"). i am leaning towards installing a drop floor to gain more headroom but my main concern is the drop floor coming into contact with the ground. the drop floor sits flush with the oem "frame rails" and we all know how badly those can be bent and beat up in spec miata. does anyone have experience with the drop floor that can shed some light on my concern? also if you have any other recommendations for fitting me into my car that would be greatly appreciated. 

thank you for your time!

our kit is on the site, We have installed about 25 or so here and sold over 85 kits.  The concerns with head room far outweigh the concerns about the floor. 

The frame rail is NOT a frame rail. It is called a floor stiffener, It is flimsy and does little but keep the floor stable, the rocker is really your frame rail.  All the floor kits and by rule the drop floor is thicker metal than the floor is originally. We use a new rail to replace or go over the old rail that is 1/8 steel. Far stronger than what was there.  We also put the leading edge of the floor on a 45 degree angle so anything you run over should not catch the front edge , rather glance it and run under the car. If the floor is installed correctly and welded in correctly, there are no concerns.

• Brad Rampelberg likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

BNaumann

BNaumann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Region:DET
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:67
Pretty sure Ralph put Jim's kit in my car. I've glided it over some curbs. It takes it well. First time I felt the keyhole exit curbing at Midohio with my ass was quite the wake up.

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

Johnny, is your seat already mounted directly to the floor?  Mine is bolted right to the floor with no floor drop and that gave me a couple more inches of headroom. I have to sacrifice the padding on the seat though. I used to sit directly on the seat with no padding, but now that I lost some of my fluffiness in my booty, it started to hurt. Ran a thin piece of padding this weekend and it was just fine. My knees are in the dash though and my right knee rests up against the dash and is now bruised a little bit from Daytona, so there is that lol.

• Jaysz28 likes this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Pretty sure Ralph put Jim's kit in my car. I've glided it over some curbs. It takes it well. First time I felt the keyhole exit curbing at Midohio with my ass was quite the wake up.

First time I rode over the curb at 15 at Sebring and slid across it.. I though OH shit I forgot all about this drop floor :)  Got my attention, but other than some scratches and paint burning smell it was fine :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

I am going to agree with everything Jim said. We have installed about 25 in the shop and have sold +/- 100 for others to install. We sold 3 last week!!!!! We get 10 drops out of a sheet of metal, we do 2 sheets at a time and that lasts about 2 months.

About 10 of my shop cars, including rentals, have floor drops. We have seen no damage to the drops plates from curbing. Even when Voytek hit the leading edge of the curbing at Indy and crushed the front subframe and steering rack, no damage to the floor drop.

By rule, the replacement metal is almost twice as thick. If properly designed and properly installed, it is stronger than oem. Just keep your bolts short.

Dave

• Jim Drago likes this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

speedengineer

speedengineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Car Number:84
I agree with everything everyone has said. I have installed about 1 in the shop, and sold +/-0 for others to install. I sold 0 in the last week.

In all seriousness, just install one. Should be a required safety modification, in my opinion. I'm only 5'8" and I appreciate the additional head clearance to the cage. And it makes seat fitment way easier.
  • Jim Drago, Blanarik and Jaysz28 like this

Jason Kohler 

#84 SM

www.youtube.com/user/speedengineering

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Foleyracing3

Foleyracing3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

I am going to agree with everything Jim said. We have installed about 25 in the shop and have sold +/- 100 for others to install. We sold 3 last week!!!!! We get 10 drops out of a sheet of metal, we do 2 sheets at a time and that lasts about 2 months.

About 10 of my shop cars, including rentals, have floor drops. We have seen no damage to the drops plates from curbing. Even when Voytek hit the leading edge of the curbing at Indy and crushed the front subframe and steering rack, no damage to the floor drop.

By rule, the replacement metal is almost twice as thick. If properly designed and properly installed, it is stronger than oem. Just keep your bolts short.

Dave

our kit is on the site, We have installed about 25 or so here and sold over 85 kits.  The concerns with head room far outweigh the concerns about the floor. 
The frame rail is NOT a frame rail. It is called a floor stiffener, It is flimsy and does little but keep the floor stable, the rocker is really your frame rail.  All the floor kits and by rule the drop floor is thicker metal than the floor is originally. We use a new rail to replace or go over the old rail that is 1/8 steel. Far stronger than what was there.  We also put the leading edge of the floor on a 45 degree angle so anything you run over should not catch the front edge , rather glance it and run under the car. If the floor is installed correctly and welded in correctly, there are no concerns.

Thank you for all the info. I will be placing my order for dragos drop floor in a few hours. One more question for those who have installed the pan. Do you just lap weld the whole thing or do you drill holes and plug weld?

Thanks again for all the helpful responses!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Thank you for all the info. I will be placing my order for dragos drop floor in a few hours. One more question for those who have installed the pan. Do you just lap weld the whole thing or do you drill holes and plug weld?

We weld all the way around. Not needed but looks nicer and its not going anywhere :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

speedengineer

speedengineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Car Number:84

Take care when welding so that you don't warp the floor pan.  It's really easy to do. 

Probably put tack welds all the way around before you start welding and put much heat into it.  Unless somebody that has installed more of these than I has a better recommendation for welding strategy. 

• lillyweld likes this

Jason Kohler 

#84 SM

www.youtube.com/user/speedengineering

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users