powerss

powerss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Region:ARiZONA
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:145
The only way to watch the replay of the race.

https://www.facebook...74011706439196/
  • Danica Davison likes this
Steven Powers
Arizona Region
2009 SoPAC Division Champion
2013 SoPAC Division Champion
2019 Western Conference Champion

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Number:32

Great drive by the winner, but an epic race? It was a five car race then a four car race. Where was the 20 car freight train where anyone could win?

Yes epic. A scrambled grid and the 25th place starter wins in a race with probably the strongest SM racers in the country. And the race mid field had a train of cars with cars passing the group lead back and forth continuously. It’s clearly in the eye of the beholder, but yes, I call that epic and it was the best race I have been part of in more than a decade.

I know in some oddly strange way you appear to get off on being the forum contrarian, but it’s tiring when you downplay the perspective of others who had skin in the game.

CNJ
  • steveracer likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
BEST RACE EVER!!!!

Better?
  • Cnj likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
All I was trying to say is that for a championship event with big money on the line I thought there would be a few more dogs in the hunt. From a spectator's perspective I'm not sure a Miata race on a track designed for F1 is the best recipe for excitement.
  • tylerbrown likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Maybe you bought too much into the hype? I thought CNJ hit the main points pretty well, and as for the track at least it wasn’t Indy. For sure not all of the usual suspects were there, but it was NASA and big money or not they just don’t draw as many (yet). They seemed to believe their own hype as well expecting 100+ cars, but the cost to compete was very steep and prize money means nothing to most.

Having paid attention to the last couple big races there I’d say it went exactly the way I expected given the unfortunate qualifying results, except the part about Chris being up front after 8 laps without a full course yellow. THAT was epic. But had qualifying gone to plan it was likey to be about eight cars with a shot early and three maybe four pulling away gradually while trying to figure out how to take it from Chris at the line. Turns out that wasn’t far off despite the mess. Think what a total cluster it very easily could have been!
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

I was just sent picture of my car.  It is fully F'ing disassembled. All four corner off, transmission and engine full tear down.  Not one thing hasn't been removed and taken apart.  I hope that is good enough for you David.

Michael, this isn't even worth your time. It is always the same two or three people that are always trying to find something to complain about. You'll never win this argument because it will never end.

• MPR22 likes this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Region:Minnesota

Danny, are the shocks the only item which will be tested off site and shock results will keep race results provisional?

I'm confused. From some of the info I have seen on this site I was of the understanding you haven't raced in the last few years. Why so concerned about tech?

http://jenkinsracing.com

Waterboy

Waterboy

MEATHEAD Racing Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Number:15

I'm confused. From some of the info I have seen on this site I was of the understanding you haven't raced in the last few DECADES. Why so concerned about tech?

fixed

• Danny Steyn and Danica Davison like this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

I don't know why a race needs a 20car train to be "epic".  I'm admittedly biased since I've considered Chris a good friend for a long time now.  It was absolutely a nail biter from green to checker.  I don't know what else I'd want in a race.  Also, having just watched Danny's incar of the last 3 laps...that was an EPIC battle between Chris and Todd.  I think I counted 3 times that Todd got along-side / past Chris in the last lap, including the final turn. 

That race could have gone bad 100 different ways.  Lap 1, turn 1....8 wide?  Rain on the first half of the track for the last 3 laps?  25th to 1st?  Yep, checks all my boxes.  Epic. 

• Cnj, Danny Steyn and Steve Scheifler like this

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I don't know why a race needs a 20car train to be "epic".  I'm admittedly biased since I've considered Chris a good friend for a long time now.  It was absolutely a nail biter from green to checker.  I don't know what else I'd want in a race.  Also, having just watched Danny's incar of the last 3 laps...that was an EPIC battle between Chris and Todd.  I think I counted 3 times that Todd got along-side / past Chris in the last lap, including the final turn. 

That race could have gone bad 100 different ways.  Lap 1, turn 1....8 wide?  Rain on the first half of the track for the last 3 laps?  25th to 1st?  Yep, checks all my boxes.  Epic. 

I don't think those stationary cameras do any race any justice...

I can say that driving the similar lap speeds as the leaders with no real pressure was exhausting.. Driving on the limit as they were with the title and the money on the line and not making mistakes, the lead changes etc was dam impressive to me.  Chris coming from 25th, not sure wtf else you can ask?  That's dam impressive. 

Sincere congrats to Chris, Todd and Danny on the podium, all were there all weekend and deserved to be there.  brian Henderson, Preston from 25th and Peter Ensor also all great drives. 

Jim

• Tom Hampton, Cnj, MPR22 and 5 others like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

All I was trying to say is that for a championship event with big money on the line I thought there would be a few more dogs in the hunt. From a spectator's perspective I'm not sure a Miata race on a track designed for F1 is the best recipe for excitement.

Watch Danny's video.  The live feed didn't do the racing justice at all. 

COTA has had some of the best finishes in Spec Miata history, this one is right up there.    

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
It occurs to me that in an effort to disagree with Walter politely it probably sounded more like I agreed. Barring a bunch of yellow I expected an excellent race and that’s what I saw. Some in-car would give us all a better perspective but it looked very fast, mostly clean and there were multiple cars in it to the checker. Indeed, what more could you ask? Well, maybe one of the favorites starting from way back in the BIG race and still winning, but that’s a bit much. :)
  • Jim Drago likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

Watch Danny's video.  The live feed didn't do the racing justice at all. 

COTA has had some of the best finishes in Spec Miata history, this one is right up there.

Agreed.

I watched live while doing my run on the treadmill. The coverage was pretty good, but still I think they missed two of the three times Buras got even/ahead of Chris. I'm still not sure how Chris managed to get to the line first. Glad he did, though.

Steve-  If you haven't watched Danny's video...you must see it for the final 3 laps.  No better view than P3.  The only thing better might be Chris' video from the start (assuming it exists ;-)...but, that's probably reserved for those who visit the shop.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

I'm confused. From some of the info I have seen on this site I was of the understanding you haven't raced in the last few years. Why so concerned about tech?

My car was entered and driven in the 2018 June Sprints. Didn't view your car at the Sprints. Am I allowed to post here as a car owner while not driving. 

My original question was referencing Tech in as to, what's going on. This site was very quite, which is not normal.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Samuel J

Samuel J

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Region:TX
  • Car Number:15

Had to miss this for a funeral -- can someone recap what happened in qualifying? I was sitting there driving to Ohio watching Racehero, had no clue what was going on but it looked like it went full banana peel mario kart style.

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Number:32

Had to miss this for a funeral -- can someone recap what happened in qualifying? I was sitting there driving to Ohio watching Racehero, had no clue what was going on but it looked like it went full banana peel mario kart style.

Yeah I can tell you.

30 minutes before quali, the track was wet, but no rain.  "Spies" were shuttling back and forth to see who was running what and pretty much the whole field was on dries when we formed up on grid.

Then it started raining.  I sat and watched Chris, Blake, Craig, Jim and others peel out of the grid to go get rains.  Like a lemming I followed.

Turns out this was VERY much the wrong decision as dries were able to set 3-4 seconds a lap faster pace than wets.  Hence the totally scrambled grid.

After quali i thought we might need to put a few of the top runners (who chose rains) on suicide watch :)  

CNJ

• Danny Steyn and Michael Colangelo like this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Here is the race video for those that aren't on social media - I had the best seat in the house for the last 3 laps for sure!

• Mark, Bench Racer, Jim Drago and 3 others like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

WOW – what a weekend! Thank you NASA - Thank you TOYO

Rain was forecast at 70-90% for all the days, and yet the infamous COTA Micro-climate showed its miraculous hand each day. And we had just a few showers for the Q3 session that set the final grid.

For Q3, as the rain came down on the false grid, I was one of those that rushed back to change to RA-1’s. Fowler was on the radio with me and this is what I heard each lap

• “you are on pole 7/10ths up”
  • “You are 5/10ths up”
  • “You are 4/10ths up”
  • “You are 9th”

OH SH!T I had to dig really deep on those rain tires and fortunately managed to pull out a decent lap that put me up to 4th place. The track was just getting faster and faster for guys on RR’s and had the last lap not been rained out, I am sure all of us on rains would have been even further back

When one of the guys was moved off ahead of me I ended up starting in 3rd spot behind Matthew Dirks who put his NA1.6 on the pole.

But I knew he would be a sitting duck on the start at that speed and with that hill ahead and I dived out immediately and past him, knocking his mirror back in the pass (neither of us was aware of it until we saw the video)

As you see I got to the early lead, but when Todd got ahead of me, it undermined our opportunity to break away as I as losing so much time in the braking zones, and that allowed Chris and Blake to catch up.

When Haldeman got past, he and Todd had a great run ahead of me, and I was hanging on by the skin on my teeth, helped by the battle up front and also by Henderson behind me, who was hanging on as well. I was making it up in the brakes, but not really able to challenge for the lead.

What Chris did this weekend was nothing short of legendary. Had at least 20 plus cars to take care of, was sick as a dog, and then qualified way back in the kill zone, and still made it to the front to win. And that big check could not have gone to a more deserving winner.

Lots of fast guys did not qualify well and that definitely affected their chances.

Proud to have been part of this race and to get my 3rd NASA Champs podium. One day, hopefully before my 90th birthday, I want to win one of these elusive damn things.

• Tom Hampton, Bench Racer, Jason J Ball and 10 others like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

And I hope Preston posts his video as the 8 wide start lap is pretty impressive - both the front and rear facing cameras

• lillyweld likes this

Danny

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

All results are provisional pending the completion of tech inspection.

Chris Haldeman Takes the Toyo Tires Classic

NASA-SM-podium-400x244.jpg

Haldeman earned a big payday along with the title of NASA Spec Miata Champion; Peter Ensor wins Teen Mazda Challenge class

After all the anticipation and preparation of the Toyo Tires Classic at the NASA Championships presented by Toyo Tires, the Spec Miata race came down to speed, skill and little local knowledge as Chris Haldeman provisionally claimed the big prize and the title of NASA national champion.

Despite setting fast time on Friday, Haldeman qualified poorly Saturday morning and found himself starting 24th in a field of 60 cars. The poor starting position must have motivated Haldeman because he climbed up more than 15 spots on the first lap and set his sights on the leaders, Danny Steyn and Todd Buras.

“When that green flag came out, I just dropped the hammer,” Haldeman said. “I think we were like seventh or eighth on the first lap and then we closed in. All I had to do was keep from vomiting in my helmet and this race was going good – I’ve been sick all week. I’ve been battling a cold. I’m just glad to get it done.”

Danny Steyn led the early laps and even broke out to a one- or two-car lead for a while, but he couldn’t hold off Buras, who took over the lead on lap seven. Buras held the lead for another lap, but ran wide at the exit of Turn 12, and Haldeman pounced.

“It was a shootout – best racers in the country,” Buras said after the race. “By the exit of [Turn] 3, I was behind Danny Steyn and I was going to push him a little bit, and he slipped a little, so I took the lead and ran for a while in the lead. Then I looked in the mirror and here comes Chris.”

Haldeman may have taken the lead, but Buras wasn’t about to give up without a fight. Buras badgered Haldeman every chance he got, presenting for a pass and even getting a nose up on him several times in the second half of the race, but Haldeman was determined.

“Every battle with Todd, that man is an animal,” Haldeman said. “He’ll put it anywhere, anywhere! We never touched each other in everything you saw. We were off track together. We never touched each other. It was just clean and fast.”

Steyn slipped back to third, and with some help from fourth-place finisher Brian Henderson, managed to stay within striking distance, but was never able to recapture the lead and finished third.

“I had the better qualifying position, but [for Haldeman] to come from [24th] to first is the stuff of legend,” Steyn said. “That really will go down as one of the greatest drives in club racing for years. That’s how good it was, especially after how bad he’s been feeling. He’s been ill and everything. He put on a great show. I was kind of hoping that Todd and I would work together to get past Chris, but people choose the faster car and I wasn’t quite with them. I was just a little bit off.”

NASA-SM-field.jpg

Nine Teen Mazda Challenge racers staged their own race within the Toyo Tires Classic to see who the standouts are among NASA’s youngest up-and-coming drivers. When the dust settled, Peter Ensor had finished first in Teen Mazda Challenge and sixth overall, a finish that netted him $2,500 in prize money.

“I was trying to stay clean at the start, but that didn’t work. That was out the window in Turn 1” Ensor said. “I was on the outside and somebody came into me in Turn 1. I lost a few spots, and then it was just a battle for 45 minutes to try to get back toward the front.”

Behind him, second-place finisher Hannah Grisham had struggled all weekend long, but found some speed in Saturday morning’s qualifying session. More time on the track helped Grisham navigate the 20-turn Circuit of the Americas, and her Morningstar Racing crew chief James Brown gave her the car she needed.

“I went into the first turn and my plan was to just stay on the outside and let everyone else do the chaos on the inside,” Grisham said. “So that worked out pretty well for me. I got around some people, and then in the Esses, I got hit a little bit, but it wasn’t bad.

“It was a good race, and I’d like to thank Mothers, Morningstar Racing, Dr. Hunt Chiropractic Health Center, my parents and my sister and, of course, Mazda and NASA and Toyo for this great event.”

Back in third, Ben Rail wasn’t even aware he had scored a podium finish in the Teen Mazda Challenge. Rail hadn’t raced since the beginning of the year, so he struggled to find speed early on, but found it when it mattered.

“I had a hard time on Friday. I thought I might not even make the big race. I was just slow,” Rail said. “But I picked up the pace today and I’m really excited to make the big race. My friends and family are here, and I had a great time.”

All results are provisional pending the completion of tech inspection.

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users