• Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:97
The finishing order from Saturdays race was,
1. Steve Gorriaran
2. Cliff Brown
3. Jamie Tucker
4. Danny Steyn
5. Nick Leverone

Chip VanVurst, Andrew Von C, and Tom Fowler all had top cars as well. Chip had a little trouble while running second and ran wide at the oak tree, Von C had an electrical problem and never took the green, and Tom (who was giving me all I wanted) ran wide a couple times as his tires went away. All in all it was a great race!. All of the issues have been resolved. The top 10 cars are very very close so I would suspect today to be another close race.

Bye the way, there was a lot of side by side racing with zero contact. Danny has some great videos of the race maybe he will share it some time!!
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
qualifying from text..

Cliff Brown
Andrew Von Charboneau
Nick Leverone
Alex Balanos
Chip VanVurst
Steve Gorrarian
Danny Steyn
Tom Fowler
Nate Sparks
Jamie Tucker
Jeff Labounty

Thats all I have,sorry. Looks like one tough field. It is on live timing at SCCA website Race will start 1:30 -2;00

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Mitch Reading

Mitch Reading

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:65
Sun race?
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
Sun results

http://www.scca.com/...R/SunG2race.pdf

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Mitch Reading

Mitch Reading

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Car Number:65
Looks like the top 5 on Sunday were literally 1 second apart at the line? Must have been some great racing.

Was Steve G hopping out of two '99s or ?
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
Oh ya, the SCCA has it all figured out. :rolleyes:

1st through 12th were 99's.:o No surprise there.

1st 1.6 25th other than maybe 17th place that didn't show a car year.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

High Chair

High Chair

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:CFR

Looks like the top 5 on Sunday were literally 1 second apart at the line? Must have been some great racing.

Was Steve G hopping out of two '99s or ?

I think the top 8 or 9 were within 1 second until the last turn when Alex and I came together battling for 4th; that checked up the guys behind us and sent me wide off the track. It was no big deal and there was no damage to either car but that was one hell of a race. For 12 or so laps the top 10 were nose to tail while turning some of the fastest laps of the weekend.
Yes Steve was using both cars (99s)
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

High Chair

High Chair

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:CFR

Oh ya, the SCCA has it all figured out. :rolleyes:

1st through 12th were 99's.:o No surprise there.

1st 1.6 25th other than maybe 17th place that didn't show a car year.

There were only 3 1.6 cars in the field and I doubt that any of the drivers would have been able to crack the top 15 even with a top shelf 99. Thats not a put down in anyway; just the fact that the top 15 have a lot of driving experience. The top drivers with the best cars weren't sure of a top 10 last weekend. However it is clear that 1.6s are going away at a steady rate due to many factors; mainly nobody builds them anymore. There are a few fast legal 1.6s left but even those old war dogs have seen better days. Most of those that want to race at the level we saw last weekend have replaced their worn out 1.6s with newer 99s already.

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39
This past weekend’s double national at VIR was a mixedbag for all. The racing was some of the best racing ever seen in the South Eastdivision but so many drivers had disappointments that no-one really came awayfrom the weekend with what they were after.

So here are the race Recaps (for anyone that isinterested)

Race 1

Saturday’s race day started with rain, and the forecastwas 100% rain. However when we took to the course it was overcast and dry, butthere was a strong storm cell moving in. Everyone went out on dry tires.

Gorilla had a stupendous Qualifying lap and started fromthe pole in Race 1. Andrew Charbonneau’s car quit on the outlap and he had towatch the entire race from the sidelines. At the start Steve and Chip got away early butI was able to close up on Chip with the help of Nick Leverone. Jamie Tucker andCliff Brown joined in the chase too. Midway through the race Steve and Chip pulledout a lead and I thought I was done but as they raced between themselves thegap would close up each time. Cliffie got up to my bumper in lap 6 and helpedme move forward. About halfway through the race, Chip heavily overcooked thebraking zone coming into Oaktree and slid off. He rejoined in 9thplace.

Steve now had a good lead on me with Cliffie close to meand Nick and Jamie battling away for 4th. I managed to gap Cliffie abit and close the distance on Steve but then I too overcooked the braking zoneinto Hogpen and fell back into the clutches of Jamie and Steve. Jamie also gotby and we had a great dice for 3 laps with lots of side by side racing with nocontact. I came close but was never able to make a pass stick. Nick finished onmy bumper.

Cliffie made up some of the ground on Steve but neverreally challenged for the lead. Chip drove all the way back up to 6th.Mike Cottrell had an excellent finish in 7th. Alex Bolanos drove ahell of a race to get up to 11th place from DFL, picking up the FRLalong the way at 2:20.942. As we went into impound it started to rain and heavystorm cell moved through the region.

Final results were

1. Gorilla
2. Brown
3. Tucker
4. Steyn
5. Leverone
6. Van Vurst

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
Race 2

Race 2 had none of the weather drama of Race 1 and was sunny and warm. On pole was Cliffie with Andrew alongside, followed by Leverone, Bolanos, Van Vurst, Gorriaran, Steyn, Fowler and Sparks.

The next 6 laps are a blur. Some of the closest bumper tobumper racing I have ever seen. Cars snaked line astern through the turns like a line of pearls on a necklace – it was really something beautiful to watch.

Brown led Bolanos and Charbonneau through lap 1, with everyoneright on the bumper. On lap 2 Andrew moved to 2nd place at Hogpen,and got to the lead in the same place on lap 3.

Andrew led Cliff, Alex, Nick, Chip, Steve, Steyn andFowler with Tucker closing in behind. On lap 5 Nick got by Alex into 3rdplace. The order would stay that way for the next two laps. Then going into Southbend(T10) Steve ran wide in front of me and got massively airborne at the ditch nextto the track. As I was passing him I saw the underside of his car and I thoughthe was going to go flip over on its roof. Fortunately it landed well and he wasable to come straight back on in 8th place just behind Fowler. A laplater he retired.

On the same Alex, Chip, Nick and Cliff went into thebraking zone for Hogpen 4-wide. Brown missed the exit and came sliding ahead ofNick and myself and we got hosed and lost the draft coming out of Hogpen. I gota push from Tom getting me by Nick into 4th place and together weworked to close the gap on Andrew, Alex and Chip. The next lap Alex made themove on Andrew to get by into first place going into T1. Alex led Andrew, Chip,Steyn, Leverone and Fowler

Two laps later I screwed up the exit of Oaktree and Nick hadnowhere to go but come alongside me, but that hosed him as Fowler came up on usand chose my bumper and pushed me forward and Tom got by Nick too. With twolaps to go we were once again all in a train running bumper to bumper

Chip made the move on Andrew going into T1 on lap 11, andthen Alex had a massive tank-slapper on a slide exiting T4 while in the lead. Ihad to take to grass to avoid him and myself, Tom and Tucker got ahead of him.New order was now Chip, Andrew, Steyn Fowler, Tucker and Bolanos.

At the start of the last lap, Andrew made the pass onChip and Tucker with help from Alex tried to make the pass on Fowler. But couldn’tmake it stick. Then Tom missed a shift coming out of T5 and Bolanos and Tuckergot passed Tom

Coming into Hogpen Chip went to the right and made themove on Andrew. Andrew let Chip get the pass and as Chip went deep Andrew tookhim back with the classic over-under. Going into the final turn Andrew led Chipand myself with nothing but paint separating us. Chip got the better run, andwith the draft and side-draft just managed to squeak by Andrew on the line forthe win by a few thousandths of a second.

1. Van Vurst
2. Charbonneau
3. Steyn
4. Bolanos
5. Fowler
6. Leverone
7. Tucker
8. Brown
9. Sparks
10. Dasilva

Danny
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Number:88

Cars snaked line astern through the turns like a line of pearls on a necklace

Wow. Hemingway, Steinbeck, Salinger,. . . Steyn :P

[edit: lose the first 'line' - redundant]
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
Danny
Any video?
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

dp35

dp35

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Region:SF
  • Car Number:51
Thanks for the detailed race descriptions Danny. Makes me crave the video even more.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
Thanks Jamie for the info & Danny for the race review. B)
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
Hi Guys

here is the video of the last lap of Race 2. Click through to Youtube and watch full screen - thats one close finish!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD0P595GL6Y

Danny

Lance Snyder

Lance Snyder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Wow, what a show Danny.... that was great!
Lance Snyder
Atlanta Region F&C
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
That was fun to watch! Good job by all three.
Chip,
You don't get enough credit as a driver.

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Alex Bolanos

Alex Bolanos

The Cuban Missile

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Car Number:57
Great race, I'll post my vid tonight. You can see Jamie and I come together there in Danny's mirror, it's a shame it turned out that way :( Sorry again Jamie and thanks for letting me use your backup engine this weekend.

Alex Bolanos - #57 
Sponsored by Autotechnik, Momo USA, Apex Alignment, and Amazon.com

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner

Steve D

Steve D

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:30
Great video! That was a whole handful of opposite lock coming out of South Bend!!

Well done, gentlemen.

Steve DeVinney
Retired mediocre driver

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Craig Berry

Craig Berry

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:TX
  • Car Number:29
That was great driving by Chip and Andrew! Would expect nothing less. Danny, you were right there, and thanks for taking the time to update us, and post the videos.
Circuit of the Americas Winner - Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users