SCCA_Racer

SCCA_Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Region:San Fransisco
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:01
I am looking for recommendations on in car lap timers. It has been recommended to me that I get one to know if I am doing better with my line or worse, so I can conserve tires. Please post what you use or have used with the pros and cons. I am also looking at price point too.
Thank for your input.
Joshua Fine
Sealed Spec Miata (SCCA)
Posted Image
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
rumblestripracing.com

Email him and get the DLT1 with the GPS instead of the wheel speed sensor. It has big numbers so you can review with video and see entry/apex/exit speeds along with the predictive lap timing.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

SCCA_Racer

SCCA_Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
I sent rumble strip racing an email. I saw the Ltiâ„¢ Hot Lapâ„¢ Timing System too. Anybody using it?
Joshua Fine
Sealed Spec Miata (SCCA)
Posted Image
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72
My preference is the Display-IT made by AMB. The same company that makes the transponders.

Mounts with 2 screws, and 2 wires. The wires are not even polarised, just one 12v and one ground. Enter your transponder number, and everytime you go over the timing line (start/finish) you will get a lap time.

Does not require a beacon

Installs in less than an hour, cost is $300

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39
SCCA Racer

To go fast you are going to need some data system at some point - here in the SE everyone uses Traqmate. Not only does it display your lap time live every lap, but it also has a predictive timer. So if you come into a lap with a good head of speed and you get through the first few turns it will show you that you are ahead of your best time, and it will track how far you are ahead at each point along that lap.

This really helps in qualifying so you can abort a lap where you have screwed up and early turn, come off the gas, allow your tires to cool and then hit the next lap full on. Also very helpful for trying different lines and even different gears through each turn. For instance at VIR turn 1 can be taken in 2nd or in 3rd gear, and Traqmate will instantly show you if you are faster or slower eigher way.

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:91

My preference is the Display-IT made by AMB. The same company that makes the transponders.

Mounts with 2 screws, and 2 wires. The wires are not even polarised, just one 12v and one ground. Enter your transponder number, and everytime you go over the timing line (start/finish) you will get a lap time.

Does not require a beacon

Installs in less than an hour, cost is $300

Dave

Check with your local chief of timing and scoring and make sure your tracks broadcast the signal. To my knowledge, none in the SowDiv do.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

fishguyaz

fishguyaz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Region:AZ
  • Car Number:92
my amb displayIT is not supported by scca AZ anymore, so its now useless here.
I also use traqmate and think it is a good system as danny has already explained why.
sharing data with other drivers can be a huge help.
generally with this stuff, you get what you pay for. the TM is worth it IMO.
no beacon to forget, and you will forget it unless you put a sign on your steering wheel of the tow vehicle(or something like that).
nothings worse than being an hour or 2 out from an event and realizing you forgot your beacon.
Josh Pitt
1999 SM #92 SoPac division

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Josh,

We use the Rumblestrip w/GPS. Has worked perfect so far...knock on my head(wood) :D If you have the $$$ then do as Danny S suggested!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

SCCA_Racer

SCCA_Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Josh,

We use the Rumblestrip w/GPS. Has worked perfect so far...knock on my head(wood) :D If you have the $$$ then do as Danny S suggested!

Yeah that is my dilema. Do I spend $300 now on just a timer to later invest $1000 in a data logger?
Joshua Fine
Sealed Spec Miata (SCCA)
Posted Image

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88
Do you run junkyard, crate, pro build ??
Back, mid, pointy end ??
Out to win or out for fun.
How much $$$$$$$$$$ do you have.
And how useful will it be to you after you get it?
I wouldn't spend everything on the car so you couldn't make it to the track.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Mike Lliteras

Mike Lliteras

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
If you want to go faster, if your tracking your time it's obvious you do, then get the Traqmate and learn how to use it. I don't mean just reading it, but using it to learn what your doing wrong. You have to have a data logger to improve or spend a lot of money on track time, gas & tires.

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
A pro motor, perfect gearbox, perfect setup will give you a few tenths, but a data logger such as Traqmate is the way to make big changes to your lap times. Without it you are purely going by intuition, you feel you should be going deeper into the braking zone, keeping higher min speed through the apex, getting to WOT sooner. Without Traqmate all of this is pure supposition.

But as soon as you overlay your trace over another faster racer, the lie detector is set in motion. You will IMMEIDATLY pinpoint just exactly what you are doing wrong. I am eternally thankful to racers like Todd Lamb, Todd Buras and the Pombos who allowed me to overlay my data with theirs when I first started racing. What an eye opener. At VIR in 2008 I dropped a full second on my next session after seeing what they were doing. No amount of money on motors tires etc. would have made that difference in my lap times. From then on I learned more and more what systems like Traqmate offer in their analytical capabilities, and we are still learning today.

Spend the money - it will be the best money you ever spend on your car. I alos reccommend getting a video system integrated as it will also allow you to see why that top speed down the back straight was so much faster that lap (draft or push). Without it you have to have perfect recall, and I can hardly recall anything that happened in the race. The video is an important tool. It also lets you pre-run a track the week before getting to thte track.

Danny
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
I was in the same boat a few months ago. I found a DL1 used for ~$650 and wound up going that route figuring I can grow into it. I think I found mine on nasaforums or sccaforums.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Number:60

I was in the same boat a few months ago. I found a DL1 used for ~$650 and wound up going that route figuring I can grow into it. I think I found mine on nasaforums or sccaforums.

I also am a fan of the DL-1 (with a DASH3) (*). I like being able to configure the display. I have screens setup for qualifying, sprint racing, and enduros (added a clock so I know how long I've been out for the stint.) I also like the Race Technology software better than Traqmates', but I've been using it since before Traqmate existed, so you kinda get set in the way a package works.

That being said, if everyone in the areas you are going to race in have Traqmates and are willing to share their data, it would probably be a better fit for you.

Almost all the major data acq vendors allow you do download their software and get a feel for their products. Take advantage of that.

* DL-1 Mk3 and DASH4Pro are coming out soon, I'd go that route if I were buying now.

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
Not to threadjack but how many of you guys using Traqmates were using AIM or PI before you got the Traqmate?

Dave

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Number:22
What about race-keeper? I just got one of their systems and the video compare is top notch. I also do not think there is a system out there that is as easy to use.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

SCCA_Racer

SCCA_Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Do you run junkyard, crate, pro build ??
Back, mid, pointy end ??
Out to win or out for fun.
How much $$$$$$$$$$ do you have.
And how useful will it be to you after you get it?
I wouldn't spend everything on the car so you couldn't make it to the track.
J~

Motor is a Sealed 160K.
After my first event I was running Mid pack.
My expectation is to be in the top ten overall going for the win.
Always have a credit card.
I am a serious nut for analyzing data and studying my Go-Pro footage.
There are two intents of getting this live lap timer one is so I can save tires when I am qualifying and practicing. Two is that I can see where I am loosing time. Right now I am trying to use markers I pick out for when I brake, down shift and accelerate.
Joshua Fine
Sealed Spec Miata (SCCA)
Posted Image

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88
Sounds like you answered your own question.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

Motor is a Sealed 160K.
After my first event I was running Mid pack.
My expectation is to be in the top ten overall going for the win.
Always have a credit card.
I am a serious nut for analyzing data and studying my Go-Pro footage.
There are two intents of getting this live lap timer one is so I can save tires when I am qualifying and practicing. Two is that I can see where I am loosing time. Right now I am trying to use markers I pick out for when I brake, down shift and accelerate.

Get a Traqmate or other Data system - there is NO way a live timer will allow you to analyse what you are looking for.

Also the Traqmate is the ultimate LIE DETECTOR.

He says vehemently .... "Oh no I brake and turn in at the 100yd marker." ........"No dude" - I say as we look intently at the display...."lookeee right here at the 250 yd marker, this is where your foot comes off the gas and where you go into coast mode. Then here at the 200yd marker, this is where you first start to gently apply brakes before fully committing, and only then do you start to turn in at around the 100 yd marker, look at the lateral G's....... your giving up 5 tenths just in the braking zone."

No live timer will do that - just get someone to show you two drivers laps overlaid on any DA system and you will be an instant believer.

Danny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users