Photo

SpecMiata.com

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: SpecMiata.com (91 member(s) have cast votes)

Should SpecMiata.com return?

1. Yes (50 votes [54.95%])

Percentage of vote: 54.95%

2. No (41 votes [45.05%])

Percentage of vote: 45.05%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Jim Daniels - FIG

Jim Daniels - FIG

Site Founder

• Administrators
  • 274 posts
  • Region:Mid-South
  • Car Year:1989
  • Car Number:Any
Like an old pair of shoes I guess. At both events thus far in World Challenge folks have come up to me with stories of missing their old Internet friend, SM.com. On the other hand lots of folks have praised the new site albeit not many are SMers.

Perhaps SM is such a unique group born from origins unlike other classes that it needs the old site too. I'm on the fence, thoughts.....??

"Never Stop Challenging"

Jim Daniels

Auto Sports Consulting / Coaching

My cup runneth over - Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champ Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda  - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Grand-Am Competitor - Grand-Am Competitor in a Mazda  (can be GT, and ST)

Kyle Burkhardt

Kyle Burkhardt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Region:NASA Midwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:12
One or the other, please. :)
Kyle Burkhardt
Team ///Miata #12
PajamaPants Racing
NASA Midwest
Posted Image
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39
Happy with the new format thanks

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

tony senese

tony senese

Not racing bicycles again!!

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Region:Northeast
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:99
I love the new site, I just miss the simplicity of SpecMiata.com. Having current topincs in the right hand frame like the old one would be awesome... I know what is here is similar.... but it's not simple enough for my simple mind...

Phew...... that was a close one!

Tony Senese
NASA-NE SM Director
'06, '08, '11, '12, '13, '14

NASA-NE SM champ

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

I love the new site, I just miss the simplicity of SpecMiata.com. Having current topincs in the right hand frame like the old one would be awesome... I know what is here is similar.... but it's not simple enough for my simple mind...

I voted yes, but like Tony, what I really miss is the array of topics and the the navagation capability of SpecMiata.com. The new site is simply not as useful to a SM'r as the old one.
Rick

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year
Powered by: Stewart Engines
Set up by: RAFT Motorsports

SM: The safest race car in the world. It can just
barely kill you.

Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mitch Reading

Mitch Reading

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:65
ONE site only please.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sean Allen

Sean Allen

My title is unique

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Region:SFR
Is it not possible to merge the two forums? No way to "upgrade" the software on SM.com while retaining all the old members and topics?

I don't mind the new software on this forum, what I miss are all the members and the activity of the old site.

Why not try to upgrade that site, then add OTHER forums to SM.com. "Other Mazda Racing" as a general category, then have sub forums for all the different kinds of Mazda racing just like how the Spec Miata section is on this site. Also, you could have MazdaRacers.com redirect to SM.com, so both URL's would work.

SM is the biggest form of Mazda racing from Amateur to Pro, we should have a full site, not just a section.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
I voted no.

But, like everyone else, I think it is clear that the new site needs some tweaking. I'm personally happy with the new site, but admittedly I'm a professional computer nerd. So, I'm not necessarily representative of the majority. I hear rumours of complaints; and the voting so far, seems to bear those rumours out. I just don't think that going backwards is viable. This new software is SOOOOoooo flexible, it should be possible to do "most anything"....(caveat: given enough time and money).

What I haven't figured out is what/how.... I haven't heard many of the complaints directly, only 3rd hand. I think we need an airing out of complaints/suggestions. Here or wherever...If we get a list of what people don't like, or miss from sm.com, I'm happy to help figure out how to tweak this site based on that list of complaints.

I'm even happy to talk to people who have rants about the new site, and try and glean some useful info from those rants.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Number:88
This site is a visual 'black hole'. Gray and darker gray are oppressive. A brighter page design would help.

Hint: toggle between this site and facebook.
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

This site is a visual 'black hole'. Gray and darker gray are oppressive. A brighter page design would help.

Hint: toggle between this site and facebook.

Change the theme to IP.Board. Bottom left of every page. It defaults to "MazdaRacers". But, the IP.Board scheme is very similar to the FB color scheme. Much brighter, if you like that sorta thing.

I, on the other hand, am a dead serious racecar driver, and think the theme should reflect the life and death serious nature of this sport. Not some cheery, teeny-bopper, facebook, girly woose. ::tongue-in-cheek::

If I run this IP.board theme at home, my wife might think I *WAS* on facebook, and get all excited.

-tch

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Number:88
Tom, you are aware that you're racing a 'chick-car' aren't you?

-Denny

(Hey, you're right, the IP.Board is better.)
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

Tom, you are aware that you're racing a 'chick-car' aren't you?

LOL, nicely played, sir....

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
Shhhhhh... don't tell anyone!

-tch

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Number:68
The current site's new content control is smarter than the old. On the old site, you could miss stuff after a few days off (like traveling to a national race). This one keeps track of what you read last...

No just put that on the home page and I'm good to go.

-bww

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
It takes time to make changes and getting used to the new format. I like the ability to revisit a thread and pick up on the new posts since you left. A nice time saver. I really have no complaints about the new format except for the limitations for the the size and the amount of pictures you can upload on and keep on line.

I did a post about rebuilding my transmission and I would have and could have posted allot more pics of the process to explain what I was doing but i was limited to about 5 pictures at a time so I had to pull some off as I went along. Then If I posts some place else I had to pull them down to make room for the new post. So now if someone were to go back to those posts they will not make sense.

Otherwise I think this is a step forward, not to say it can't be improved. Frank

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

the_real_steveracer@SM.com

the_real_steveracer@SM.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
How about allowing log in with email address like it says, which does not work. I have to add my log in screen name. Which was, by the way originally stolen by someone else.

I voted no.

But, like everyone else, I think it is clear that the new site needs some tweaking. I'm personally happy with the new site, but admittedly I'm a professional computer nerd. So, I'm not necessarily representative of the majority. I hear rumours of complaints; and the voting so far, seems to bear those rumours out. I just don't think that going backwards is viable. This new software is SOOOOoooo flexible, it should be possible to do "most anything"....(caveat: given enough time and money).

What I haven't figured out is what/how.... I haven't heard many of the complaints directly, only 3rd hand. I think we need an airing out of complaints/suggestions. Here or wherever...If we get a list of what people don't like, or miss from sm.com, I'm happy to help figure out how to tweak this site based on that list of complaints.

I'm even happy to talk to people who have rants about the new site, and try and glean some useful info from those rants.

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Number:92
Stolen?

Or beat you to it? Which is what I thought when you already had registered it at sm.com. Haven't seen you post in a few years...where you been?

Been using an "steveracer@" email addy since the early 90's. Long before I ever thought about racing a Miata.

Just because you thought of it doesn't mean you're the first, or only, to do so.

P.S. For some reason, I can log in with my email.

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mike Colangelo

Mike Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Region:Cal Club (SoCal)
OK, maybe it's due to lack of sleep, but I can't seem to find the search function.

Aside from that, I like the new site. I also like the fact that it's not restricted to Spec Miatas and road racing. Thanks!

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
search function: upper right, under your account login data small magnifying glass.

-tch

DHois

DHois

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Number:15
Honestly, I don't visit this site as often as I did SM.com. Maybe just the off-season effect....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users