Photo

SpecMiata.com

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: SpecMiata.com (91 member(s) have cast votes)

Should SpecMiata.com return?

1. Yes (50 votes [54.95%])

Percentage of vote: 54.95%

2. No (41 votes [45.05%])

Percentage of vote: 45.05%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
I think the horse is already out of the barn and we shouldn't go back, but with that said, a blast from the past.

IMO, Part of your success of the old site was the way it was laid out, the picture like an album,(who we are and what we do or did), the colors (not grey), the new content(easy to access), and I think you should build on that success not just change to this, you may not get the same results. This is important to your sponsors, users and new comers of/to the site. Reading some of the comments from the old site calling it "my old friend".

If you made this site look and feel like the old site and kept all the new bells and whistles, you'd have the best of both worlds.
I.E. 69 Camaro with all new engine, trans and suspension.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60
Please don't go back to the old site's forum software. IPB is so much better. It is also highly customizable; the size of posts, pics, storage space etc. can all be changed. It wouldn't be hard to build an active/recent post list etc. like the other site had. I do agree that it would have been nice to have imported the databases from the old forum to here, but as it has been said, that horse has already left the barn. I don't see how you possibly are going to be able to go back now that you have two user databases with conflicting usernames etc. Unless you were talking about running IPB on specmiata.com which doesn't seem worth the effort to me. I can still come here and get help and offer help. The domain name doesn't really matter or if I'm in a subsection of a forum.

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
PLEASE DON'T GO BACK !!! This site is so much better.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

Honestly, I don't visit this site as often as I did SM.com. Maybe just the off-season effect....

You may not be alone. I sense that traffic is down, but I have no data to validate that opinion. Perhaps Jim can shed some light on the number of posts in the SM section first quarter 2011 versus 2010.
Rick

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year
Powered by: Stewart Engines
Set up by: RAFT Motorsports

SM: The safest race car in the world. It can just
barely kill you.

Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Lance Snyder

Lance Snyder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Is it not possible to merge the two forums? No way to "upgrade" the software on SM.com while retaining all the old members and topics?

Sean,

No.. the old software was SO old you would have to upgrade to do another upgrade at a minimum, the chance of data loss, confusion and other unforeseen issues was significant.
Lance Snyder
Atlanta Region F&C
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
I voted that it should come back myself, not that I don't like this site because it is great once you get to kow how to use it. Let's face it change is hard sometimes. I think if you took this pole 2 months ago it would be overwelming to bring the old site back. Wait another two months from now and it will be an overwelming NO to bringing it back. The old site felt comfortable, maybe it is just as simple as making the look more familiar. But I still think in another two months most of us will vote NO. Thats my two cents (I know it's worth nothing) especially in this economy!

K. Webb