Dennis

Dennis

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Region:NorCal
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:27
Is there a problem with using Locktite? What happens?

Dennis
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88

I missed the information "on the old site" about RTV vs Locktite on the flywheel bolts. What's that all about? I've always used blue Loctite on the flywheel bolts and never had a problem. I just checked my Mazda manual and it says to use "sealant" which means gasket sealer which = RTV. Guess I haven't been paying attention. Anybody......?

Dennis

Dennis,
Since the bolt holes on the crank go all the way through, the only thing other than the bolt keeping the oil in is the locktite or RTV/sealant gunk. You can get a good fluid tight seal with blue locktite, but RTV or a thicker gunk like in a thread sealant tends to be a bit more reliable to create a foolproof seal.
Keith
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
It isn't necessarily oil proof of good at making a seal. Glad it hasn't leaked for you, yet. But, that isn't what it is designed to do.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
I just used blue locktite. Is that a problem?

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
Over time blue might give out. Loctite 515 is a gasket former, much like RTV. The higher you go up in the various grades of Loctite, the better the seal.

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

I just used blue locktite. Is that a problem?

Not unless it leaks. :D It's a better threadlocker than a thread sealant. It's pretty thin viscosity so it's just not as reliable to seal it up as well as a goopy substance that sits on the threads like a paste. You're not talking about a major oil leak though. I've had a slight dribble of oil that I don't think even hit the friction surface when I used blue but didn't get a good seal. Now I use Permatex high temp thread sealant which is kind of like the equivalent of teflon tape in a tube. I find lots of it in the threads when I pull the bolts out so there are some nooks and crannies to fill.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

Not unless it leaks. :D It's a better threadlocker than a thread sealant. It's pretty thin viscosity so it's just not as reliable to seal it up as well as a goopy substance that sits on the threads like a paste. You're not talking about a major oil leak though. I've had a slight dribble of oil that I don't think even hit the friction surface when I used blue but didn't get a good seal. Now I use Permatex high temp thread sealant which is kind of like the equivalent of teflon tape in a tube. I find lots of it in the threads when I pull the bolts out so there are some nooks and crannies to fill.

Are we on the same page? I was talking about the bolts that hold the flywheel on the crank.?

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

Are we on the same page? I was talking about the bolts that hold the flywheel on the crank.?

Yes. Those bolts penetrate into the crank case.

-tch

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

Yes. Those bolts penetrate into the crank case.

Are you referring to the RED sealant? So that is what is preferred and it gets enough of a grip to prevent the bolts from backing out. That was my big concern. Thanks for the heads up. I learn things event when I think I already new it.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Are you referring to the RED sealant? So that is what is preferred and it gets enough of a grip to prevent the bolts from backing out. That was my big concern. Thanks for the heads up. I learn things event when I think I already new it.

If you're talking about red locktite, I wouldn't use that stuff. You're not trying to keep the bolts from backing out, just keeping them fluid tight. Red requires heat to break loose which is more of a pain than you need to cause yourself.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
Local machine shop says: $51 for a two-step turn. Open 9am - 6pm, Saturday...If I can get it in tomorrow afternoon he will turn it while I wait.

-tch

-tch

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
Open Sat, while you wait? I do live in the wrong place... :lol: NAPA says one day turnaround on stuff like flywheels and rotors. Of the three most trusted machine shops in the valley two of them have race programs, off road and circle track. The big money maker for these guys are taxi rebuilds. At any given time there could be a dozen or two various cores for service.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
That was just the first place I called. Also, the closest...a good 15 minutes from my property. Didn't bother working down the list...:D Yeah, Dallas doesn't have a lot of Taxis.

PS: You know, Dave....your Avatar scares the hell out me. Between being a "Peeler" in "Vegas Baby" and that....I'm very afraid. :P

-tch

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL
Here's a pictorial guide to the whole process. I've followed it before and it works well: http://www.miata.net...utch/index.html

I always replace the rear transmission seal, and the front cover seal during a trans drop if I don't know the history of the current seals. I also replace the rear crankshaft seal if I haven't done so previously since I have the flywheel off anyway.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

If you're talking about red locktite, I wouldn't use that stuff. You're not trying to keep the bolts from backing out, just keeping them fluid tight. Red requires heat to break loose which is more of a pain than you need to cause yourself.

No I was talking about the red silicone sealant. I did use the blue locktight, I guess I will know if it leaks why it leaks.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Brendan O

Brendan O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Region:SE
  • Car Year:2003
I'm about to bolt my flywheel to my new engine and am leaning towards RTV Black oil resistant silicone sealant instead of blue locktite. RTV package says good to 500 deg F.
Are there any more thoughts on this? The shop manual is useless in this regard: it just says "use sealant".

thanks
Brendan

Dennis

Dennis

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Region:NorCal
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:27
When Mazda manual says "use sealant" I assume they mean the stuff they sell "Silicone, Tube (Gray)" pn 8527-77-739. I use that for all the sealant applications in engine assembly, the tube says "Silicone Sealant SH780M". It's RTV-like.

Dennis
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
I use Permatex thread sealant. It's a white liquid that dries to a soft chalky texture. If I remember, the Mazda grey silicone is $30 a tube.

Brendan O

Brendan O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
ok - i'll try find the Permatex thread sealant (or the Mazda sealant)

thanks!!

Brendan O

Brendan O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
http://www.permatex....ad_sealants.htm

Do i want the Permatex "high performance" or "high temp" product?

thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users