• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Colby Scott

Colby Scott

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Car Year:1990
So, im about to begin the process of building a spec car and was thinking about going with a cage from miatacage.com. However, before i went this route for sure i was wondering if anyone had any experience with these cages,i.e. instilation, quality, ext. Also, I was wondering if these cages met SCCA and NASA cage regulatons. Any advice would be helpful due to the fact that I have little experience with miata cages.

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:73
they are very nice kits with good instructions and a great reputation.they are scca and nasa approved with proper installation.quite possably the cage that all others are compared too
  • Colby Scott likes this
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Armando Ramirez

Armando Ramirez

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:76

they are very nice kits with good instructions and a great reputation.they are scca and nasa approved with proper installation.quite possably the cage that all others are compared too

+1
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

JayF

JayF

SM Racer

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Region:North East
  • Car Year:1996
Agreed. I used one in my SM build and am very happy with the kit.
-- Jay --
96 Spec Miata - Build in progress
North East SCCA

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

So, im about to begin the process of building a spec car and was thinking about going with a cage from miatacage.com. However, before i went this route for sure i was wondering if anyone had any experience with these cages,i.e. instilation, quality, ext. Also, I was wondering if these cages met SCCA and NASA cage regulatons. Any advice would be helpful due to the fact that I have little experience with miata cages.

We use our own cages as they are a personality of sorts of the car, each builder has their own likes and dislikes. I have put in several Miatacages, very good kits,, very good product. If we didn't use our own, I would be using theirs. ( No we do not sell cage kits )
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
Nice cages, good step by step instructions with pictures, awesome price on the cage and shipping. Not to mention Sean the owner is very helful and a SM'er himself! If I was going to build another cage myself I would not hesitate to buy MIATACAGE.COM again!

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Chris70

Chris70

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Region:NER
Agree 100% Very good kit.
Donor - Made PayPal donation

Dudley

Dudley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Number:01
have the beta miata cage in jim's car. very happy and definately recommend. sean is extemely helpful and a great person in our sm group.

Kyle Keenan

Kyle Keenan

Pass right

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Region:Oregon Region
  • Car Number:44
The miatacage.com kit is, by far, the best "out of the box" cage kit there is. Tons of room inside the car, super safe, and the fact that Sean continues to update it says a lot about his products. Just don't go cheap on installing the cage, make sure it's done right and installed by a professional.

#44 Team KBR/KKRProducts.com Spec Miata
#44 Team KBR/Dick Hannah Kia Rio B-Spec/ World Challenge TCB
#16 & #36 Blairco Spec Miata's, ICSCC

2014 SCCA B-Spec National Champion

Dick Hannah Dealerships | Kia Racing | Team-KBR.com | KKRProducts.com | DBB | Fast Specialties | Blairco Heating | SBOX Engineering | Sikk Shades by Eddie Bauer, JR | Hawk Performance

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Colby Scott

Colby Scott

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts
thanks for all the help guys. But is there anything in the SCCA GCR about adding cross braces in the rear down tubes? One of my close friends who races a 1.6 car has a cage that has x down tubes in the back, but I know that the rules were altered after this car was built so it's grandfathered in. Are there any new rules against this?

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
Those are still legal. As long as the landings doesn't exceed 8, and the other rules are followed, you can have as many tubes connecting between tubes as you like.

That's my read, anyway.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

thanks for all the help guys. But is there anything in the SCCA GCR about adding cross braces in the rear down tubes? One of my close friends who races a 1.6 car has a cage that has x down tubes in the back, but I know that the rules were altered after this car was built so it's grandfathered in. Are there any new rules against this?

I seem to remember that JUST an X in the back was determined to be non compliant. That you had to have the 2 rear supports going straight back.

An addition of additional bars in the rear supports is fine, and I include a diagonal bar and a trunk crossbar in my cage kit.

dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

I seem to remember that JUST an X in the back was determined to be non compliant. That you had to have the 2 rear supports going straight back.

An addition of additional bars in the rear supports is fine, and I include a diagonal bar and a trunk crossbar in my cage kit.

dave

I thought so, too. I went to the latest GCR to cut and paste the rule...and I can't find one. At least not one that is unambiguous. Nevertheless, maybe its the interpretation of 9.4.B.2.c:

Cars must have 2 braces extending to the rear from the main hoop and
attaching to the frame or chassis. Braces must be attached as near as possible
to the top of the main hoop (not more than 6 inches below the top), and at an
included angle of at least 30 degrees.

Maybe the interpretation is that "2" means do not intersect at a common point. In other words, where the X crosses effectively makes it a SINGLE brace---at every point along the cross section of the rear bracing there must be two separate tubes.

Here's the other rule related to additional bracing:

9.4.G.6:

Any number of additional tube elements is permitted within the boundaries of
the cage structure. Such tube elements may pass through any mandatory or
optional bulkhead or panel separating the driver/passenger compartment from the
trunk/ cargo area/fuel tank/fuel cell area provided the bulkhead is sealed
around such tube elements.

<P dir=ltr>provided that 9.4.E.1 is not violated:

Improved Touring, Showroom Stock, Spec Miata, AND Touring classes–The roll
cage must attach to the vehicle structure (floor pan/ rocker boxes/ sills)
within the passenger compartment in a minimum of 6 points and a maximum of 8
points as specified in these rules.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Colby Scott

Colby Scott

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok, that's what I thought but I wasn't completely sure and i don't currently have a copy of the GCR. I probably will be adding x braces between my two rear down tubes and maybe even some others in different spots around the cage. As we all know, you can build a lot of stability into a car with the cage and anything that makes the car handle better is a plus, just as long as the weight doesn't become an issue.

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
Colby, before you do or buy anything go download the GCR. Tells you all you need to know.

http://cms.scca.com/...ted version.pdf

Were I getting a cage kit it would be either the Miata Cage or the Advanced Autosports kit. I'll ASSume you're in Mt Vernon, WA and not George Washington's old house. Look up Bruce Wilson, he's your regional SM director, go down to PDX and check out a race and look at the cars. If you are in Arlington, VA check out Meathead Racing at Summit Point. Mike Collins is the guy.

Colby Scott

Colby Scott

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts

Colby, before you do or buy anything go download the GCR. Tells you all you need to know.

http://cms.scca.com/...ted version.pdf

Were I getting a cage kit it would be either the Miata Cage or the Advanced Autosports kit. I'll ASSume you're in Mt Vernon, WA and not George Washington's old house. Look up Bruce Wilson, he's your regional SM director, go down to PDX and check out a race and look at the cars. If you are in Arlington, VA check out Meathead Racing at Summit Point. Mike Collins is the guy.

Actually, Im in Mt. Vernon, Tx which puts me in the Texas region. I've been around the races a lot being part of a SM crew so I'm used to the atmosphere and the cars, but have only recently decided to get behind the wheel myself. I realise that in the long run it would be cheaper to buy a car already speced, but being a poor college kid i'm going to have to piece it together a little at the time. My current goal for the car is to get the safty stuff installed this summer, go through super school in Dec. at TMS, and run ITA to get experience while I finish fully specing the car.

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
Didn't know there was a Mt Vernon in TX. Nothing wrong with building a car. I started to build a down and dirty get on the track quick car and once I got into it I went the other way and started a tub up build. It will always take more time and money but that's true with any production based race car. Read your GCR and the NASA CCR if you are going to do those as well. Without a doubt the best 20 bucks I've spent is on Dave Wheeler's SM book. Some nice tidbits that even if you've worked on or built cars before you'll find some Miata specific stuff to save time or give ideas for the build.

http://www.advanced-...&products_id=42

Tom Hampton has made copies of the factory workshop manual available for download, http://www.tomhampton.info/downloads/ .

The old specmiata.com site is good as well. I Google it by typing "my search term site:specmiata.com" (no quotes) into the Google toolbar and search it that way.

There is a lot of good info on some questions you've already asked. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users