davearm

davearm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Region:SEDIV
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:66
Finally managed to do a race weekend with the SCCA after 3yrs of racing NASA, but unable to coordinate my schedule with the local SCCA race schedule. Had a great time at the MARRS/SARRC race at VIR. As a first timer at a SCCA event, I was prepeared for some differences from NASA, and there were some things that they do better than NASA, and the opposite is also true. The field of 50 Spec Miata's was truley awesome. Great racing through out the field both days, as I was mid-pack on Sat, and towards the tail end Sunday (a result of a missed shift/spin on lap 1).
Two things I would like to point out. First, after all the discussion on this board about the stewards not policing metal to metal contact, there seemed to be very close scrutiny of any contact. There was also a meeting of all SM drivers after qualifying on Sunday to warn everyone that any rough driving, or avoidable contact would not be tolerated.
Also, and more importantly to myself, I want to thank the 20 drivers behind me for managing to to miss me as I spun coming out of turn 5 on the 1st lap, coming to rest smack in the middle of the track, watching the entire rest of the field go right or left of me without hitting me, and allowing me to continue my race with no damage except to my underwear.

Dave

JimK

JimK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:central
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:74
How did the field size compare to NASA?

davearm

davearm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Region:SEDIV
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:66

How did the field size compare to NASA?

NASA Mid Atlantic usually has between 20-25 SM, and 6-8 SSM. This was a combined event for 2 SCCA regions (MARRS,SARRC). I am not sure how many SM show at a SARRC event, I think it may be variable depending on track, but MARRS usually has around 40-50 per event, or thats what I have read (plus close to the same number of SSM'S).

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:26
Congrats on a great weekend. I did the same thing with the SCCA in March at VIR. The Carolina Cup is coming up at the end of the month at CMP. Come on down.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
there is another vary important distinction between SCCA and NASA that Bit me at my last NASA race. the racing rules in NASA allow a car that is overtaking you to force you to go two wheels off at the apex . they only have to leave you 3/4 of the track once they get the nose ahead. On our second turn on the first green lap going 3 wide I was on the outside of the turn, the car in the middle,his door was to my front tire, he went to the apex and we hit, I got "at fault" for it.

SCCA on the other hand, the rule reads you have to give your competitor racing room, which I interpret to mean they can't put you in the grass if the get a nose ahead of you.

Big difference in my mind.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

. they only have to leave you 3/4 of the track once they get the nose ahead. On our second turn on the first green lap going 3 wide I was on the outside of the turn, the car in the middle,his door was to my front tire, he went to the apex and we hit, I got "at fault" for it.

Just two clarifications: The rule reads "at least three quarters of one car width" just in case someone new mistakes "track" for the racing surface and not the track-width of your car as I assume you meant. Also the rule reads that they need to have their front wheel next to the driver, not a "nose ahead".

FWIW I don't like NASA's rule for club racing. There is no reason (figuratively speaking) to be running each other into the dirt, IMO.

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Just two clarifications: The rule reads "at least three quarters of one car width" just in case someone new mistakes "track" for the racing surface and not the track-width of your car as I assume you meant. Also the rule reads that they need to have their front wheel next to the driver, not a "nose ahead".

FWIW I don't like NASA's rule for club racing. There is no reason (figuratively speaking) to be running each other into the dirt, IMO.

Thank you for clearing that up. yes it is the tire to the door, from in the car it looks like a nose ahead, and I meant to say 3/4 of a car width, I really really do not like that rule on the first out lap on the first set of turns when running 3 wide or more its very difficult to judge just where a competitor is going to end up and going into the grass at that point could cause more problems than its worth. once you have the group thinned out a bit and its you against one competitor who you are racing with you can anticipate the flow of whats happening, that first out lap as you know can be pretty hectic.

This cost me a one race suspension. I am the silver /w black strip car on the right. By the way I do not blame the competitor who I hit, he is following the rules, its the rule I do not like. Should be racing room is required.

also to be fair to the officials suspending me, the criticism of my driving was that as the track turned slightly to my left I should have been turning more to go to the left and was likely focused on the driver to my right. Maybe so, I take responsibility for it, I just did not think it was necessary to find fault and suspend me. But you figured out by now I am a bit sour grapes over the deal.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Rhc3VeVymtY

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:88
Frank, I think you got boned by the officials, the other car was at least as much at fault as you. I don't see that you did anything wrong.

I glad they offer to work at events, but let's not forget the officials at club races are not professionals in that field.

Bogus call.

-Denny
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

also to be fair to the officials suspending me, the criticism of my driving was that as the track turned slightly to my left I should have been turning more to go to the left and was likely focused on the driver to my right. Maybe so, I take responsibility for it, I just did not think it was necessary to find fault and suspend me. But you figured out by now I am a bit sour grapes over the deal.

Yep, you got hosed. Cars touch sometimes. That's a fact of racing. If he was a nose in front at turn in you'd already lost the line. After looking at it a few times it looks like he drifted into you. That's just racing. It is nice that people volunteer but we don't get to race for free. We're spending thousands and a minor incident such as that shouldn't result in a suspension. Sounds like an official being a bit overzealous, but to be fair, that also happens when they are being paid. Bum call, you got screwed.

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:88
NASA pays workers - doesn't make them professional officials. B)
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Frank, I think you got boned by the officials, the other car was at least as much at fault as you. I don't see that you did anything wrong.

I glad they offer to work at events, but let's not forget the officials at club races are not professionals in that field.

Bogus call.

-Denny

Denny your so conflicted, :huh: you are just so overwhelmingly happy that NASA has this new procedure and its the greatest thing since sliced bread! Now your saying they arent doing the job right!

This is the kind of thing that is going to happen anytime there has to be a silly report filed for a racing incident. I for one like the SCCA way myself for this!!!! talk to your competitor and if you cant work it out file a protest!!!!!!! Seems simple to me!!!! And by the way I thought Frank got hosed and told him so, but I also watched this Vid and you can now see all what NASA was looking at.

I feel that both clubs rules should read that every competitor should be fully willing and able (capable might be a better word here) to drive side by side through the entire track for one full lap giving proper racing room to all competitors meaning 4 wheels on the track!

Here is the Vid

K. Webb