Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
I saw that this weekend. Rediculous!

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990
Pretty sick fire
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Richter Racing

Richter Racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Region:SoCal
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:29
Pretty scary stuff. How fast can you get out of your car?
Only boring people get bored.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

How fast can you get out of your car?

About this fast.

J~
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
Looks like you came to a stop at 0:39 seconds,
belts unbuckled at 0:44,
wheel off at 0:46, a
nd were out of the car by 0:50...maybe a second or two earlier. Its hard to see your reflection in the mirror through the smoke.

Seems like 10 seconds to me, maybe 9. Nice work, in a no-sh$t fire. Drills are one thing....

How far back around the track did you recognize the fire?
What made you decide to drive back to the pits?
Do you think that was the right call?
Did you have a decision criteria for GTFO instead of driving to the pits?

Not second guessing...wondering what your thoughts are looking back at it. Not many will get the chance to experience a no-sh$t fire, and you may only get one shot at making the RIGHT decision.

-tch

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
I blew coming out of the "S" when the video begins, perfect spot.
1st time I've ever blown up. Have seen it on TV, no big deal bring it on in and keep off line.

I got a lot of "you were so cool on fire".
I didn't know until I passed the pit in flag stand and the flames came up.
So I really only knew I was on fire for 10 secs. from flame to safty worker.

I think I would have been screwed if anywhere else with my car possible burning down to the ground.
Who knows, I don't really want to try and find out.
J~

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
Being in the experimental aircraft business, and associated test flights, I've been in a couple of Flight Safety Events---a rather clinical term for it. People react differently to the "no-sh$t" emergency. Some people freeze up, some people panic, some people get down to business. I've seen A and B in person. That looked more like B to me. Almost everyone feels like A....its of question of how you ACT when you recognize the "oh sh$t".

But, a HUGE part of every FSE is the review of all crew actions [good and bad] from the moment of the incident (or any causal actions leading up to it), and possible alternatives that were decided against for any improvements that could be made. The more we can learn collectively from the few real safety events that occur, the safer we all are.

-tch

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
Well, I'm on our company HazMat Emergency Response Team and have responded on gear to toxic spills.
Could that be it? B)

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
One other note...
I put my helmet/hans on outside the car and get in and out with it on.
I get used to the contortions required of getting in and out, in a hurry or not.

I've seen some put there helmet on in the car and try to get out. :blink: :huh: :o :P :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users