Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
After twelve years of Spec Miata.com and Mazdaracers.com, Jim Daniels has decided to pass the torch to me on the websites. I would like to thank Jim for all the time and work on the site(s) and all the help building the class we all enjoy so much. He has too much on his plate at this point with other racing ventures and the real world to devote the time needed to the site, He wanted to insure its long time health, so he decided to pass it to me.

At this point I would like to try to build on the site, get some more participation and make it a place we can all come and talk about the class we all love. No topic will be off limits. I am open to suggestions of how we can make it better. My general philosophy will be hands off. The only thing I wont tolerate is constant flaming and obscene language. Other than that, it is a open forum.

I would like some opinions on how we can make the site better and more popular. Post your ideas below and/or email me.

Ideas for Monthly or weekly web chats?

General suggestions and or ideas.

If anyone is interested in helping out with the site or has suggestions, please email me at Jim@Eaststreet.com

Thanks guys, looking forward to the future of the site.

Jim Drago

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Dave Metz

Dave Metz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:36
Congratulations... I think! Have to do some thinking on it. There are some definite improvements, but just doesn't have feel of old site. If you need any help, let me know.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mitch Reading

Mitch Reading

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:65
JD or JD own the site domain and rights?
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Daniels - FIG

Jim Daniels - FIG

Site Founder

• Administrators
  • 274 posts
  • Region:Mid-South
  • Car Year:1989
  • Car Number:Any

JD or JD own the site domain and rights?

Why does it matter?

Specmiata.com can be turned back on and is up if you type in the right URL. What to do with non SM racers is the question.....

Given the poor SM racer turn out and technology apprehension, I say turn back on the SM site home page for SM topics and keep MR for all other.

BUT, Mr. Drago can decide that.

For the record, this site was never a SM substitute but a place where all Mazda Racers could be. Sign ups and traffic had grown stagnant, change was and is needed short us (web community) begin Formula Ford all over. There will only ever be one SM site, SpecMiata.com!!

Thanks for the years, see you in my blog once I have time to post...... ;)

"Never Stop Challenging"

Jim Daniels

Auto Sports Consulting / Coaching

My cup runneth over - Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champ Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda  - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Grand-Am Competitor - Grand-Am Competitor in a Mazda  (can be GT, and ST)

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
The issue with the people coming over has less to do with technology than it does with a perception of a loss of community. The value is in the information, debate and camaraderie. Some leave the community or racing, others might be too busy and the community evolves. The people that are dissatisfied with the new site, whether they realize it or not are more likely not satisfied with the change more than anything else. For example a community we started in 93 as an email list, flipped in 2000 during the first dot com craze, they flipped again in 2003, 2005 and again last year. That particular example several hundred thousand cycled through during that time. Over the last six months a splinter community has sprung up and has taken over the reigns in that vertical market due largely to the decisions made by the current owner, a large trade mag publication house that doesn't understand Internet communities or the nature of the particular business the community is build around. The point is you can't be everything, to everyone.

Things are going to change, people will come and go. If you base the community decisions on what some think about the past rather than looking toward the future it may lumber off into obscurity. Just because you light the other site back up doesn't mean all will be right with the world again. It might even do more damage. Whomever is running the site right now has to decide what the focus is going to be. I think it was great to give a nod to all Mazda racers but to build a community inviting to all Mazda racers the operators have to do more than put the site online. They have to build and promote it with those other Mazda racers. The SM crowd was already a decade long community. It's not likely we'll get very many of the pro teams here on a regular basis. They're busy and frankly if I were in their shoes I'd want a format where I could control the message like Facebook or Twitter. I think this resource is best for Spec Miata club racers and builder as a way to connect both individuals, clubs and SM businesses.

red986s

red986s

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Region:NRSCCA
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:64
IMHO I was really excited when this site was introduced. Racing a full time ITA Miata, I didn't really fit into the SM "world" on some issues and the IT forum can be some what generic at times. This community was the perfect fit with room for ALL Mazda racers. Hope its around for a long time to come. Thanks for all your hard work!
Mitch
Mannschaft Schwartz Auto-Rennen
YouTube Channel

forestdweller37

forestdweller37

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Region:Des Moines Valley
  • Car Year:1994
I like the idea of this site, but it just has way too many sub-forums. I've seen it on other sites where traffic decreases as the number of sub-forums increases. Most of the SM discussion is equally applicable to any Miata being road raced or time trialed or sometimes even autocrossed.

-Chris

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I like the idea of this site, but it just has way too many sub-forums. I've seen it on other sites where traffic decreases as the number of sub-forums increases. Most of the SM discussion is equally applicable to any Miata being road raced or time trialed or sometimes even autocrossed.

-Chris

JD and Jim, this might be a point, sometimes less is more with so many sub-forums the converstations get broken up into little rooms and unless you are able to scroll through all of them to pick up on what is interesting you just do not participate.

Less is more.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Number:60

JD and Jim, this might be a point, sometimes less is more with so many sub-forums the converstations get broken up into little rooms and unless you are able to scroll through all of them to pick up on what is interesting you just do not participate.

Less is more.

Indeed. Less is more. I visit this site (at least) daily and to my growing dismay, I find the same topics that were up the day before with few reposts and still fewer new topics. The dillution of the SM community resulting from the broad array of (esentially vacant) forums and the attendant loss of community may not be the result of that broadening, but since there's no other factor to consider, it sure looks like the guilty party.

Coke brought back the origional after the new one stuttered. Maybe we need to resurrect the old site.
Rick

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year
Powered by: Stewart Engines
Set up by: RAFT Motorsports

SM: The safest race car in the world. It can just
barely kill you.

Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Indeed. Less is more. I visit this site (at least) daily and to my growing dismay, I find the same topics that were up the day before with few reposts and still fewer new topics. The dillution of the SM community resulting from the broad array of (esentially vacant) forums and the attendant loss of community may not be the result of that broadening, but since there's no other factor to consider, it sure looks like the guilty party.

Coke brought back the origional after the new one stuttered. Maybe we need to resurrect the old site.
Rick

Rick
Thanks for the note.. We are going to do something. Working on options.
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:88
ChickCarRacers.com
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Number:60

Rick
Thanks for the note.. We are going to do something. Working on options.
Jim

Jim:
I know you will and I'll keep coming back. :)
Rick
P.S. Ignore that smart ass Mathias.

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year