Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

You guys put on a great show!

A When Andrew protected to the inside in 10A on the last lap braking duel and Jim had a nose on him, the crowd (of 6 people) in the stands went wild.

That is funny! True, but still funny :) All six people? :)
As my friend Bennett would often remind me... "Outside me, you and about 20 other idiots in the world, SM race results mean a little less than nothing." :) Oh and another Bennet classic... "Jeffrey Dahmer was a cute baby too", usually said anytime anyone one of our friends had a baby and anyone remarked how cute said baby was :)

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20
I love the baby line. Kind of goes along with my philosophy.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
When we talk about cute babies, Dahmer, bath water, Bennett & 1.6's all I care about is why the first 1.6 was in 14th place. :huh:
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
Cause they all race NASA now! :D

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

When we talk about cute babies, Dahmer, bath water, Bennett & 1.6's all I care about is why the first 1.6 was in 14th place. :huh:

I thought you only speak about parity at Road America? Or is that only when we point out a 1.6 winning at another track?
I may have to ask the new site owner if you can ban someone for being a grouchy, hard headed old man? :blink: :P :D

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

joe varble

joe varble

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Region:buccaneer

You guys put on a great show!

As I was getting my 6 and 8 year old daughters out of bed to head to the track (Oh the humanity!!), I was wondering if it would be worth the brain damage.

I was not disappointed. From the drop of the green (or, a few seconds before the green as Drago did his best Cottrell impression from the back of the pack) the announcer would call the order at the stripe and by the time the group got to the braking zone in 10A the order was completely different!! Same story almost every lap.

Drago was putting on a driving clinic (maybe he should sit out qually at Runoffs?) slicing through the field. When Andrew protected to the inside in 10A on the last lap braking duel and Jim had a nose on him, the crowd (of 6 people) in the stands went wild. Then he slid a little wide (no pun intended) and slotted into P4, giving Fowler a podium finish to the surprise of everyone but him.

I wish I could have been out there with you guys, but at least you made it worth the trip!

Speaking of Cottrell, What happened to him? He was toward the front of
the field when they were going under the bridge at the start.( I was one of
the six people at 10a)Then almost dead last next time around?

Steve D

Steve D

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:30

... a grouchy, hard headed old man?

a/k/a "The Target Demographic" :D

Steve DeVinney
Retired mediocre driver

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve D

Steve D

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

From the video I saw, he got helped off the track at Turn 5. I can't say for sure it was someone from Florida, but I think I saw that car at the Picadilly buffet yesterday afternoon.

Steve DeVinney
Retired mediocre driver

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

I thought you only speak about parity at Road America? Or is that only when we point out a 1.6 winning at another track?
I may have to ask the new site owner if you can ban someone for being a grouchy, hard headed old man? :blink: :P :D

Bath water ^ New Boss. :rolleyes:

Please note I said nothing about parity. :o It was only a question. Why was the 1.6 14th at best on this give day? :huh:
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Why was the 1.6 14th at best on this give day? :huh:

I'm not sure, but I think it was due to the fact that thirteen others crossed the start finish line before he did? :huh:

By the way, Buras was not in a 1.6, he was in Pombos 99 and told NOT TO RACE, just drive around :). Todd needed a finish for Runoffs. But two SM2 cars were there as well(14th), Joseph Strong and Craig Heyl. So they were 14th and 15th, but not the way you thought.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

I'm not sure, but I think it was due to the fact that thirteen others crossed the start finish line before he did? :huh:

Yes BOSS, that part of the equation I had figured out. It's the 40 some seconds later that presents the question.

BOSS, your original post, 78 Buras, Todd Group1 National 1990 Mazda Miata Krispy Kreme Melbourne, FL.

High Chair

High Chair

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:CFR
  • Car Number:97

I unfortunately drove Cottrell off of the track in turn 5. There are no excuses, it was 100% my fault! Cottrell was driving in a straight line (more or less down into turn 5) When I pushed him through the turn and off the track. I did apologize to Cottrell and I feel like a d@*k for doing it. Luckily his car was not damaged but his race was ruined. Not one of my better moments in SM and not likely to be repeated anytime soon.
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve D

Steve D

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
This thread was more fun when we were poking fun at Drago, not carping at him.

Steve DeVinney
Retired mediocre driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39
Jamie, takes a man (OK half-a-man) to step up and admit fault like that. We all make mistakes. You have my respect for stepping up like that.

And you and I went side by side many times on Sunday, never touched, and it made my race all the more enjoyable.

Unfortunately I am on my way to Australia or I would post my video of the first 8 laps where Jamie, Cliffie, Andrew and I traded the lead many times. So much fun. Then I threw it away in turn 1. Not so much fun.

Was impressive to see Fowler come from way back and make it onto the podium, especially after Saturday's redecoration of the freshly painted Turn 5 wall!

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Strongbad

Strongbad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Region:ATL
I want to remind everyone one of the close battle going on in mid-pack for the Regional SM2 class honors during this same race. Nose-to-tail for the entire distance with a next to last lap pass for the lead! Maybe not as glamorous as the National guys but every bit as exciting and at half the cost :)
Thanks to Heyl, Sisson, Sessions, and Jones for coming out to race.

Big props to Tom and the crew at OPM for outstanding support as always.
Also, thanks to Danny for assisting with data analysis and contributing to my summer reading list.

Watch the SE drivers dominate the June Sprints and Runoffs this year!

Joseph

P.S. David, I was in the 9th place (overall) 1.6. Mine is not a Nationally prepped car (nor is the driver). Improving but not there yet.
I believe the court of participation is settling the parity issue for better or worse, we'll see.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Joseph
P.S. David, I was in the 9th place (overall) 1.6. Mine is not a Nationally prepped car (nor is the driver). Improving but not there yet.
I believe the court of participation is settling the parity issue for better or worse, we'll see.

Joseph, I was looking at only the national race where Buras was shown with a 1.6 entry. I tend not to trash talk with people I have not met.

Strongbad

Strongbad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Region:ATL
No worries David, I didn't take it that way.
I only wanted you to know the facts.
Joseph

High Chair

High Chair

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

I want to remind everyone one of the close battle going on in mid-pack for the Regional SM2 class honors during this same race. Nose-to-tail for the entire distance with a next to last lap pass for the lead! Maybe not as glamorous as the National guys but every bit as exciting and at half the cost :)
Thanks to Heyl, Sisson, Sessions, and Jones for coming out to race.

Big props to Tom and the crew at OPM for outstanding support as always.
Also, thanks to Danny for assisting with data analysis and contributing to my summer reading list.

Watch the SE drivers dominate the June Sprints and Runoffs this year!

Joseph

Beating another driver after a long battle is what SM is all about. I don't care if it is for 1st or 30th; a battle is a battle no matter where you are. Sounds like you guys had a great time.
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

High Chair

High Chair

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Drago you did real well and your car looked fast. I was surprised it did not make more HPs on the dyno after seeing you come through the field. Maybe the one in Atlanta does not read the same as mine.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Drago you did real well and your car looked fast. I was surprised it did not make more HPs on the dyno after seeing you come through the field. Maybe the one in Atlanta does not read the same as mine.

Hmm.. Since I didn't even bring a screwdriver... I couldn't have pulled the plate and reinstalled. Maybe I actually had to drive a little :)
AHHH, I figured out, did you dyno with directional on or off, that is a 5 hp difference. :blink:

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users