• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Colby Scott

Colby Scott

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Car Year:1990
Alright, I'm about to install a cage in my soon to be Spec Car and was wondering which cage is the better way to go. I'm pretty sure i'm going with the miatacage, but I wanted some feedback on which one is best for the buck before I ordered it.

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Alright, I'm about to install a cage in my soon to be Spec Car and was wondering which cage is the better way to go. I'm pretty sure i'm going with the miatacage, but I wanted some feedback on which one is best for the buck before I ordered it.

got and installed a Miatacage it was exciting and challenging. It has great directions with it, and face it the price incredible. Sean is a great guy and was very helpful when I had questions and I did have a few. We MIG wleded ours I wish we had a TIG welder around as it would have made a prettier weld. I have never seen an Advanced Cage in person, but the pics do look pretty nice.

The Miatacage is very light weight and the rounded hoop perchs in the front are nice as they don't bite your ankles like some other caged cars I have driven. Weight was a consideration for me I wanted to be able to stack my unsprung weight on the floor rather than having it in bars.

Good luck on your build. I would say in hind sight I would probably never build a cage again, I would have a cage builder install it for me. Dont get me wrong it was an experience that was pretty awesome but I think it could have been done cleaner and more effeciently by someone who does it for a living.

If you want a used tube notcher and angle finder I may be willing to part with those things for the right price.

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
I have aa. You can't go wrong either way. Pm me if you want more details on why I chose it.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
To TIG a cage you need someone with significant experience with out of position TIG welding. There are other reasons MIG is a better process for a production based road race car build. Don't be concerned with how "pretty" weld is. MIG welds can be plenty "pretty". A "stack of dimes" looking TIG that doesn't penetrate is far worse than a mediocre looking MIG bead. The HF and most of the off brand MIG machines are crap. A good MIG machine will have great arc stability and a consistent feed mechanism. The cheap welders lack that. The absolute minimum I would use is a 180 amp class, name brand machine.

If you haven't been welding for a few years go to someone that has. Fabrication is as much about joint prep and fitment as it is about the bead. For grins, here are some current material costs. DOM, 1.50.x.095 (Made in US Wheatland Tube) $3.15/ft. Plate, 1/8" $2.50 sq ft. Bottle of gas, $100 (not including bottle), spool of wire, $30.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
Since I didn't know how close the joints needed to fit... I made sure all mine were touching all the way around. The welder was impressed. Said he could have tig'd it.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
That's good fitment. TIG is not tolerant of gaps like MIG. The TIG joint prep needs to be cleaner as it's more susceptible to contamination. Most of the folks here don't seem interested in do their own welding and fab but those that do can check out these resources...

Miller has a nice site with some how-to
http://www.millerwel...ng-your-skills/

Miller also offers an inexpensive student kit with texts and calculators
http://www.millerwel...tools/#training

Lincoln has a nice hands on program that focuses on motorsport applications, two weeks for both installments. Most of the pro stock car teams send the fabricators.
http://www.lincolnel...als-course.aspx

http://www.lincolnel...als-course.aspx

Perhaps the best value in starter MIG machines, Hobart 187 at a great price at Tractor Supply
http://www.tractorsu...-welder-3807126

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users