• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

KlutchGT

KlutchGT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey all,

I'm very new to Mazdas. I don't know much, but I recently went to an open house session hosted by Skip Barber and I am very interested in the Spec Miata class. I currently drive an MR2 and I plan on attending the first couple of HPDE events with NASA in my car. I am currently looking at a 1991 Miata with 85k miles on it. It's automatic, but as cheap as the car is being sold for, I figured I could switch transmissions. I have done a lot of reading in the forum and understand that the engines are supposed to be stock, so what other modifications could I invest in other than a solid suspension? Please post any links to FAQ's that I have overlooked. I am new to the forum and it would help out a lot!

Thanks for looking!

Greg Kimble

Greg Kimble

Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:9
I would avoid the automatic car, they have less HP than the manuals and I believe the computers are different too, so more than just a transmission swap is involved. As for your question on modificatons, visit the SCCA website and read the GCR it explicitly expains what can and cannot be done to your car. I highly recommend that you go to a race in your area and meet some of the drivers, they will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Greg
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Josh Chaney

Josh Chaney

JC-MX5

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:33
^Pretty much this. Don't buy an automatic car. It's just too much of a headache and a step back, really. There are plenty of Miatas out there that are manual AND cheap. You just have to look. Buy a 1990-1993 with the 1.6 litre engine as your first car. The investment is minimal and they're super reliable. You won't be on the podium...or the top ten... er... they're just good starter cars. :P

Read the rules. Then read the rules again. Test yourself on the rules and then read them again. lol The best way to get involved is to get out there and go to some events. Walk around the paddock and chat up some SM guys. Take as much in as possible before you even start to focus on the build. It won't happen overnight, I can guarantee that.
- Team Fail Motorsports: Failing Hardcore Since 2009 -

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
Someone should mention to read the rules.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
While you are at it, you will find lots of posts relating to this general topic, and this has been discussed before, it may make a lot of sense to buy a used car. they come up for sale often, you can get a decent car for 10 to 12,000. building a car can be expensive.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users