mmcspecracer

mmcspecracer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Region:New York
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:36
Need to get a trailer for my SM. I know nothing about trailering or trailers. Will prob be pulling with a 2004 Landcrusier, so I need an aluminum trailer. While I'm not rich, I don't like cheap crap and appreciate a well made product. I don't like to cut corners.

What do you guys recommend, and what are the "must have" options. What size trailer would you get, and should I consider one of the tilting bed trailers. Is it worth getting the optional tire rack ? Need lots of help. Thanks.

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
  • Car Year:1999
Not sure you would need an alum trailer. I pulled a 16' tilt with a Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7....A tire rack up front is a must have. My nephew welded up a nice alum one for me and it works great. Car slides right under it. I don't use the tilt feature...
  • mmcspecracer likes this
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve D

Steve D

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:30

While I'm not rich, I don't like cheap crap and appreciate a well made product. I don't like to cut corners.

Sounds like my thought process. I bought a Trailex about 6 years ago and have been extremely happy with it. I think it is the mid-size (7541 or something like that). With a Miata and a wimpy tow vehicle (Honda Pilot at the time) it is fine. With a Tahoe or more recently an X5, it is a breeze.

I have the tire rack (which is removable in case you need to tow a larger car, like a 5 series BMW). I also opted for the winch, surge brakes (no need for a brake controller, can tow with any vehicle), and tool box (good place for a jack and straps).

The fenders are low enough that you can open the car doors. The ramps are quite long but easy to manage since they are aluminum.

Since it is bolted together, it tends to squeak more than a welded 2,000 lb steel trailer. I didn't want to deal with painting the trailer and the light weight (+/-1,000 lbs empty) makes towing a breeze. From what I have seen, they hold their value pretty well too.

No, not a Trailex salesman. Just a happy customer. :)

Steve DeVinney
Retired mediocre driver

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mike L

Mike L

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Region:65
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:27
PM sent
Mike Lo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users