Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990
Rookie season is 2011. I need a lap timer minimum but am considering Data Acquisition. When I raced karts many moons ago, I used a MyChron with a beacon. On test days, I set it up to get split times which was a great learning experience. For race or quali, I would leave it in regular full lap mode. Now I see that the industry seems to have progressed to predictive lap timing and such - which seems pretty damn cool.

My high level wants include:
- easily read Lap Timer display - preferably with Best Lap, Current Lap and Prediction
- ability to set split laps for testing
- Post lap analysis software - I think I like the idea of being able to see that can show me when I am on the brakes, throttle position, lap comparisons

Just from looking at the various vendor web sites (Traqmate, RLC and Racepak), I am leaning toward the RLC. It has everything I want plus a very slick display unit. The display unit on the Traqmate seems too small to read at speed on track which is the biggest negative I can seen regarding that system. The Racepak, I haven't been able to find as much good info.

I'm looking for input/comments from users of these systems. Preferably from those that have used more than one.

Thanks.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

TheFence

TheFence

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:8
Another point to look at is what are your friends using.

Overlaying data between drivers is the best way to gain speed/lose time.

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Another point to look at is what are your friends using.

Overlaying data between drivers is the best way to gain speed/lose time.

Gain speed when the driver is better than you. Lose when he isn't.

I want to keep this discussion focused on the relative merits of the system vs who else may or may not be using it. :)

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
Why are you not considering an AIM system?

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Why are you not considering an AIM system?

I had forgotten about them.

The MXL Pista is $2k - out of my price range.
The MyChron 3 XG Log seems like it could fit my needs. Hmmm...

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

I had forgotten about them.

The MXL Pista is $2k - out of my price range.
The MyChron 3 XG Log seems like it could fit my needs. Hmmm...

At PRI they showed a new line called Solo to compete with some of the lower priced units you mentioned. http://gormanms.com/blog/2010/12/

I'm using an older EV3 with an M3 dash that I've had for a while in the car. I'm used to Race Studio and don't mind using a beacon and not interested in predictive lap timers. You can get a Pista for a bit cheaper but it's still close to 2 grand. Seems like AIM is a bit late to the around a grand units and allowed these other companies to get a foothold. I've downloaded some of the software and looked at the specs on the newer units but I'm not willing to switch right now.

Dave

svvs

svvs

do they sell spec training wheels yet?

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Number:12?
I've had good luck with the Race Technology sytem. Dash has been hit or miss.

What I found was useful was to go to the company's websites, download their analytical software and a sample data set. See which interface makes sense to you.

Vick
www.volko.com
Black SM/SM2/"Slap Bracelet Throwback" #12 in the Northeast....if the car was made in the early 90's it should look like it.

1.6L forever!  Bring on your '99's and '01's!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Car Number:68
Not sure about the Solo products. A lot of us die hard AIM users are on the Mycrhon 3 Gold Auto. Has the shift lights and provides 4 channels for the basics for under $1k. Of course additional sensors start to add up. I run Throttle Position, Brake Pressure, A/F, water temp and Oil Pessure.

-bw

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
The EV3 is the predecessor to the Gold Auto models and the EVO4-EVO3 models. Before that it was called a Drack. With the M3 dash it looks pretty much like your Gold. ;) The Solo DL is supposed to be 4 analog, rpm, speed, accelerometer and GPS. Not really keen on the look of the dash though I'm not looking at the dash unless an indicator light has been tripped.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
My own research led me to choose the racepak. It accepts a number of analog inputs (12 or 16...can't remember...more than I need), had several display options, and is gps based with predictive lap timing.

I didn't want a full digital dash, I like idiot lights and real gauges. and I'm in the 1k price bracket. As you say the traqmate display seems too hard to read on track. Plus, at present it only supports 4 analog inputs.

I wrote a longer winded version here:

http://www.tomhampto...ata-collection/

Its just my thoughts...which might not be worth much. I haven't made these purchases, yet so I could even be wrong!

I agree it is hard to find info on the racepak web site. A lot if it is buried in the pdfs (catalog, and price list).

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
Thanks for the input. Keep it coming.

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Car Number:68
Like Spence the Fence says, the number one decision point should probably be running the same system as those who you think you can share your data with. To me data is worthless without a reference point, and when you're just starting out the best reference point it someone who goes faster than you. In SFR Region, I think a lot of folks run AIM, but that may be changing -- you should check.

-bw

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Gatoratty

Gatoratty

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:3
You should also look at the new display for the Traqmate. Looked at it at PRI and it is way better ban the old unit. Touch screen, color, and shows the info in large clear display with shift lIghts and idiot programable warning lights.
Paul McLester
SM #3
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

fishguyaz

fishguyaz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Region:AZ
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:92
In my SM i use traqmate and have the traqmate turn on/off my chasecam video system.
its a nice set up because everything is already syncronized.

the graphs and charts dont show me what i need to see as easily as does video with my data overlayed into the video.

the videos with the data has been one of the most powerful tools i have found for honest feedback; IMO its worth the few extra hundred $ to get a set up like this vs data w/o video overlayed.
Josh Pitt
1999 SM #92 SoPac division

l8tbreakr

l8tbreakr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Region:NE
  • Car Number:61
I've had a TM with CC for a few years. Very easy to use, good support forums on their website and auto start/stop/sync of video is very nice. That said as I've gotten more advanced with data I wish it accommodated more inputs. It's true that the display is not easy to read because low contrast and no backlight, but not impossible. I don't find myself looking at it much while on track anyway. That said I think if I were doing it over again I would go DL-1 but I don't know much about the other systems. That new TM display looks awesome, but it's bucks. Good luck with your purchase, I think data is a very helpful tool to improve.

Cy Peake

Cy Peake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:7
I've been using a Racepak G2X for the last 3 years and am about to move to a Traqmate. After several failed attempts to load data from the card to a laptop with the Racepak software I gave up and have been solely using it for lap count and lap times. Though I'll admit that I didn't put much effort into learning the software. The predictive is a nice feature but I could never find the time to look down at the display (which is nice and bright, with shift lights) while driving through corners. I give it a glance after I pass start/finish for lap times and to see how many more laps I need to chase the car in front of me. It's also good for reviewing lap times after a qual session but I was very frustrated with the software interface. The plan is to get several Traqmate units for my team and do some testing this season to see if we like it.

-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing

2011 + 2013 NER STU Champion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users