Greg Kimble

Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:9
In reading the set-up guide, both using a string box (like the ICM system)and a laser/toe plates is mentioned, but there is more detail on using a laser and the toe plates to square the car. Are both equally accurate? The guide mentions that the laser method gets you close, and that exact comes later. Is exact the use of the string box after everything is done?

Thanks

Greg
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Lee Tilton

Lee Tilton

I wanna go faster!

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Region:WDC - NASA Mid-Atl
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:04
I can't speak for lasers, but my ICM string system works great! Toe plates will allow toe to be set relative to difference between the left and right wheel. However it does not assure you that the toe is set relative to each wheel being square with the car itself. A string box will do that. Does that make sense?
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Greg Kimble

Greg Kimble

Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:9
Lee,

Thanks for the response, yes that makes sense, I have looked into the ICM system, but recently went back and re-read JD's set-up guide and he mentioned using the ICM system and also spoke about using a laser and toe plates. I can't visualize how the toe plate/laser combo allow the setting of the thrust angle. There is also a recent post over on the old site in which Jim Drago mentions using toe plates and a laser to do his set-ups, in fact I believe that he wrote that he has a couple of the ICM systems but has settled on using the laser and toe plates in place of the string box. It seems that based on what I have read the two methods can produce equal results, but I would like to know if that is true or not.

Thanks

Greg

Guest_Mike_*

Guest_Mike_*
  • Guests
Invariably the laser system is more precise with quicker setup time but in the larger scheme of things they both work equally well. The limiting factor in car setup is your patience in chasing the last few milliemeters

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
The price is pretty disparate as well. An entry level laser is just under a grand, the good kits 2-3 grand. I looked at the ART when we build the first stock car and decided that string and some toe plates worked just fine. This is one of those things where knowing what you are looking for and how to do it is more important than the tool.

More info on laser rigs...

http://www.advancedr...uctionlaser.php

Several pro stock car teams use this...

http://www.advancedr...hp?prod=string2

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
I started using the ICM system last year and i was intimidated at first but after spending some quality time it was not really that difficult to do. I can't speak for the laser system but for the cost, I think the ICM system gets you pretty dam close to where you need to be.

I was told you can use the string box to set the toe but you should check it with toe plates because as to toe it was a bit more precise. I read that some place maybe in the set up manual.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03
I use string when doing my own car, and my set up guru, Ed Gilfus, does also. He also swears by their accuracy. He is very patient, deliberate and takes his time squaring the box and doing repeated measurements.

That being said, at the 2009 Runoffs, Drago shared our set up pads a couple of times and he used a home made laser system that worked well and quickly for him. He also is confident in its accuracy.

So, I think either works well when used correctly and probably a personal preference.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Protech Racing

Protech Racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
Strings run from two lengths of tubing, or 2x2, work very well. Place the tubes across the front and rear of the car. To get them the same width, cut string slots in them at the same time, in a vise.
Easy to square to the hubs and accurate. Use the mm stick..
MM

http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

mogren@tampabay.rr.com, 352.428/8983

Zauskycop

Zauskycop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:45
real basic explanation...actually not too bad though.

Alignment Video
Tracy Ramsey
45 SM

Juan Pineda

Juan Pineda

You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house.

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:34
You don't need any fancy equipment. It is really easy and accurate to square the car by eye.

Sight along the rear tires and look to see how much of the front tire you can see. Compare both sides. It's easy to see small differences. What you are looking for is for both sides to look the same. A 1/4" difference in the amount of front tire that is visible is easily discernible. That corresponds to 1/32" thrust or 0.1 degrees at the rear tires. When sighting, make sure your eye is at the hub level. And first point the front tires straight by using the same method, but sighting from front to back. Use toe plates to set the total toe.

Even if you don't use this method to make your adjustments, it's helpful to use it to check your alignment if you suspect its been knocked off. Or to double check laser/machine alignments, which in my experience are often off for calibration reasons.

-Juan

CheckerLap.com -- Your race results!

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Protech Racing

Protech Racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
The strings, supported by 2x2 or tubes, are dead nuts.( when you cut the slots together).

http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

mogren@tampabay.rr.com, 352.428/8983

Cy Peake

Cy Peake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Number:7
Question: assuming that alot of the SMs out there are slightly bent and/or tweaked due to contact, how can the string method be applied to those cars? My bumper covers aren't square to the body, and the body isn't square anymore either.

-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing

2011 + 2013 NER STU Champion

Zauskycop

Zauskycop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:45
Until I bought the iron Canyon kit (which is a great investment btw) I just made conduit posts and put them on jack stands. Make sure they are RIGHT next to the car, or else it is hard to get under to adjust. I also bungied them to the stand so they didn't shift or roll.

Did I mention that the iron canyon kit is a great investment?

(maybe I should hit them up for a sponsorship? haha)
Tracy Ramsey
45 SM

fishguyaz

fishguyaz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Region:AZ
  • Car Number:92

Question: assuming that alot of the SMs out there are slightly bent and/or tweaked due to contact, how can the string method be applied to those cars? My bumper covers aren't square to the body, and the body isn't square anymore either.

the icm measures squarness( is that a word?) from the hubs.

the ICM kit was a good investment
Josh Pitt
1999 SM #92 SoPac division

Chris70

Chris70

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
+ 1
Donor - Made PayPal donation

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

One would need to do a bit of easy math to see how out of parallel the two tubes may be before it would have an impact on affecting the squareness of the tubes & the strings. Even with a scrunched up body one could with a temporary spacer bring the tubes back to parallel to do the job. My strings are 70 inches apart. Oh, that's IMHJ. opinions?
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Lee Tilton

Lee Tilton

I wanna go faster!

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
The greatest thing about the ICM system is it hangs off the car allowing the car to be rolled back and forth without disturbing the string setup.

Lee Tilton

Lee Tilton

I wanna go faster!

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Stringing a car is all relative to the hubs as fishguyaz pointed out. A car could be really bent, but the squareness is determined by the hubs and theoretically you would adjust the toe relative to the string to make the car track straight. Make sense?

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Stringing a car is all relative to the hubs as fishguyaz pointed out. A car could be really bent, but the squareness is determined by the hubs and theoretically you would adjust the toe relative to the string to make the car track straight. Make sense?

Provided your strings are equal distance apart. ;)
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Cy Peake

Cy Peake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Car Number:7
That's my point. I've got the ICM kit too but have never used it because after my first or second race weekend the bumper covers were already tweaked. The ICM setup hangs off of those bumper covers, so I don't understand how you can make accurate suspension settings when it's attached to a part of the car that's not 100% straight.

-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing

2011 + 2013 NER STU Champion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users