Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:26
This is what I used for a shift light install. I would guess it works for anything looking for a Tach signal.

Attached Files

• FTodaro likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Region:WDC
is the control of the camera is handled by a separate module?
Is the software in the main unit different for the different camera choices?
Also, does the "complete" package include the ability to connect external sensors or do you have to buy the accessory box?
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

steve

steve

CFO MEATHEAD Racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Region:WDCR
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:90

This is what I used for a shift light install. I would guess it works for anything looking for a Tach signal.

why not just use the 'T' screw on the back of the dash?
STEVE

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I had this but it says the green wire with a orange stripe not green with a yellow stripe, if you were not using the diagnostic port?

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

why not just use the 'T' screw on the back of the dash?

I did not find any instructions directing me to the 'T' screw. The instructions I found covered various years and spelled out Ground, Power, Tach. I'm a DIY'er that can make a mess of simple projects really easily if not spelled out clearly.

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

I had this but it says the green wire with a orange stripe not green with a yellow stripe, if you were not using the diagnostic port?

Frank- I ended up in the same place with the same question, it was nice to have the connector depiction. I counted the ports for location verification and process of elimination.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

Frank- I ended up in the same place with the same question, it was nice to have the connector depiction. I counted the ports for location verification and process of elimination.

So did you come to the same conclusion. the green wire with yellow strip off the black connector above the spedo?

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

So did you come to the same conclusion. the green wire with yellow strip off the black connector above the spedo?

Sorry about that, I thought you had wired it up already. Yes, that is the one.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

Sorry about that, I thought you had wired it up already. Yes, that is the one.

I have the wire isolated and a tap connected, waiting for the go pro module to ship in January which is needed for RPM. Now i can sleep comfortable.
  • Keith Andrews likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

ProCoach

ProCoach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Region:Southeast

is the control of the camera is handled by a separate module?
Is the software in the main unit different for the different camera choices?
Also, does the "complete" package include the ability to connect external sensors or do you have to buy the accessory box?

Yes, depends on what camera you're using. Sony HDR-CX100/110/150 is one option, the GoPro Hero HD and HD 2 is the other.

No, the Traqview and TraqStudio software is used to configure the Basic, Complete Classic (older dash) and has options to use the Sony, ChaseCam PDR-100 or other LAN-C camera.

The new TraqDash has those same options that you can set up in configuration of the video add-on. The hardware is the same.

The "complete" package that includes the video control option (interface box or better known as TraqHD) has the capability of accepting four analog sensors, two digital signals and RPM.

HTH.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
Ok I uploaded the new traqdash software to my sim card and I will plug that in to update the unit. once I do that can i replace the 2GB card that came with the unit with the 16GB card that I have to that i can record more video. I assume once I download the software from the orginal sim card I do not need to keep using it?

Is that correct?

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

TEAM MEDICARE

TEAM MEDICARE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Region:Glen
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:66
Great stuff. I'm in the process of hooking up my traqdash and have another question. Should I wire it to a feed that is controlled by the key switch?

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

Great stuff. I'm in the process of hooking up my traqdash and have another question. Should I wire it to a feed that is controlled by the key switch?

I think that is at your option. I wired my directly to the battery because at the time I had the older version and I would be looking at data with the car off. now that the new system puts it all on the chip there is reall no need to look at it in the car. the only down side to wiring it direct to the battery is when you forget to shut it off.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

TEAM MEDICARE

TEAM MEDICARE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Thanks. This is best for me as I would probably forget to turn it off. I was worried that it has some internal shut down program that requires shut down via the switch on the unit

TEAM MEDICARE

TEAM MEDICARE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Frank
The green wire with yellow stripe on the center plug behind cluster is what we tap into.
Jim

Is it same wire on a 94?

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:SEDiv
  • Car Number:57

Ok I figured out the RPM wire, I decided to fabricate my own bracket to mount the TD onto. Its not and nice as Drago's install in the dash but it works.

attachicon.gifTMinstall 001 (Small).jpg
attachicon.gifTMinstall 002 (Small).jpg
attachicon.gifTMinstall 003 (Small).jpg

Now i just have to wait for them to ship me the module for the go pro.

I'm looking for ideas/suggestions to improve the rigidity of my TraqDash mount.  It flexes too much when I use the touch screen.

Mine is mounted on the plastic steering column parts, which aren't very rigid.  I added an aluminum angle, velcro and tie wraps to the horizontal surface on the back side, but it only helped a little.

I have a few thoughts, but I'm not thrilled with them, so I'm hoping someone has come up with a good mount I can copy.

TIA.

TraqDash 001cs

TraqDash 003cs

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA
Former SM racer (now back in a formula car)

Barber 2013 Topless

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Zauskycop

Zauskycop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:45

You can do what I did.   I took one of Advanced Autosport's blanks, removed the instrument cluster, and put that in it's place.   With a gauge on each side it works awesome!

Tracy Ramsey
45 SM

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I think that is at your option. I wired my directly to the battery because at the time I had the older version and I would be looking at data with the car off. now that the new system puts it all on the chip there is reall no need to look at it in the car. the only down side to wiring it direct to the battery is when you forget to shut it off.

We switched all of ours to the kill switch because we would always shut the car off before saving the data. thus losing the data. Now we leave on the kill switch and TRY to remember to shut it off each night. According to traqmate this is not supposed to happen, but it does :(

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Russ - I like your design.  Mine does not have the nice front plate yours does.  I just used aluminum angle with a sheet metal backing plate inside the plastic steering wheel shroud.  I riveted the two pieces together around the midpoint.  It is plenty rigid.  I riveted through the aluminum, plastic shroud and sheet metal backing plate.  The sheet metal backing plate is good size so it presses up on a fair amount of undersurface.  I left the plastic rectangle piece in place where your is removed. 

I have only used it for 3 days but I was doing lots of screen pushing with gloves on without issue.  

My car is not in the garage right now otherwise I would take a picture.

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:SEDiv
  • Car Number:57

Circling back.  Here's what I did to make my TraqDash mount more rigid.

Basically just two wood triangles (with some touches so it doesn't look too cheap: Black paint, velcro, tie wraps,...).

TraqDashMount 010

TraqDashMount 008

TraqDashMount 011

It's very rigid, so I'm happy.

More pictures and details in this gallery:  http://mazdaracers.c...raqdash-replay/

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA
Former SM racer (now back in a formula car)

Barber 2013 Topless

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users