Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM
Had me a bit of a cooling issue this past weekend at Summit Point and wanted to get some feedback.

Car is a previously-built one that I'm in my second race season on with a JDavis Racing AL radiator.
Unfortunately after swapping out the AL model for a stock one, the temps still didn't drop.

With the stock radiator I was running 220+ in traffic and while in clean air managed to drop it to 210- (wavered between 205 & 210).
This was no change from while running the AL radiator. Temps were gathered via an aftermarket gauge & upper-radiator hose sensor mount (Advanced Auto's).

Some possible next steps are:
  • Test the thermostat (it's new this season but ensure it's not faulty & opens at the spec'd temp)
  • Bypass the heater core & monitor temps (possibly plugged)
  • Scrub/flush/backflush the cooling system (commercial product or DIY formulation - I'm doing a flush without the thermostat installed regardless)
  • Replace the water pump (not my idea of a good time)
A close inspection of the AL radiator reveals one that's lived a fairly hard life and purchasing a new one isn't out of the question. My time spent straightening that number of fins would be worth buying 2 of the eBay AL models...however, before I jump into the parts replacement process (never the optimal solution) I was hoping to review the other options to ensure I'm not tilting at windmills and all that.

Some questions:
  • Commercial cooling system cleaning/flushing solutions - are there any still available that are worth a damn?
  • Is there a DIY version of these solutions that should give me a similar result? I've heard white vinegar is a decently acidic solution that would be effective in this scenario as well as oxalic acid (wood bleach). Though the wood bleach strikes me as potentially deleterious to any AL parts and our engines are nearly all AL.
  • What's the nominal flow rate of a properly functioning water pump? How do you tell if yours is failing/has failed without tearing into the front of the engine?
I'm hoping a flush/backflush would remove any sediments that may have collected down low in the block on this crate engine over the years (it's perhaps 4-5 years old) but I'd like to do whatever possible to get as much of that out as I could so I'm taking suggestions for any commercially available solutions. I've heard the GM or Ford coolant system cleaners do a generally good job but those may have been designed with an iron block & head in mind and would be too aggressive for our engines.

Suggestions/alternatives/known fixes appreciated!

Thanks,
Brandon
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
Just stick a garden hose in the bottom of it and let it run for a few minutes.
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72
Take out the thermostat and throw it away. Solves 99% of all cooling issues

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
Yup. 53mm koyo, no Thermo, 106 in the shade (god knows what on the track).... temp guage still below normal last weekend at msrc.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Had me a bit of a cooling issue this past weekend at Summit Point and wanted to get some feedback.

Car is a previously-built one that I'm in my second race season on with a JDavis Racing AL radiator.
Unfortunately after swapping out the AL model for a stock one, the temps still didn't drop.

With the stock radiator I was running 220+ in traffic and while in clean air managed to drop it to 210- (wavered between 205 & 210).
This was no change from while running the AL radiator. Temps were gathered via an aftermarket gauge & upper-radiator hose sensor mount (Advanced Auto's).

Some possible next steps are:

• Test the thermostat (it's new this season but ensure it's not faulty & opens at the spec'd temp)
  • Bypass the heater core & monitor temps (possibly plugged)
  • Scrub/flush/backflush the cooling system (commercial product or DIY formulation - I'm doing a flush without the thermostat installed regardless)
  • Replace the water pump (not my idea of a good time)
A close inspection of the AL radiator reveals one that's lived a fairly hard life and purchasing a new one isn't out of the question. My time spent straightening that number of fins would be worth buying 2 of the eBay AL models...however, before I jump into the parts replacement process (never the optimal solution) I was hoping to review the other options to ensure I'm not tilting at windmills and all that.

Some questions:
  • Commercial cooling system cleaning/flushing solutions - are there any still available that are worth a damn?
  • Is there a DIY version of these solutions that should give me a similar result? I've heard white vinegar is a decently acidic solution that would be effective in this scenario as well as oxalic acid (wood bleach). Though the wood bleach strikes me as potentially deleterious to any AL parts and our engines are nearly all AL.
  • What's the nominal flow rate of a properly functioning water pump? How do you tell if yours is failing/has failed without tearing into the front of the engine?
I'm hoping a flush/backflush would remove any sediments that may have collected down low in the block on this crate engine over the years (it's perhaps 4-5 years old) but I'd like to do whatever possible to get as much of that out as I could so I'm taking suggestions for any commercially available solutions. I've heard the GM or Ford coolant system cleaners do a generally good job but those may have been designed with an iron block & head in mind and would be too aggressive for our engines.

Suggestions/alternatives/known fixes appreciated!

Thanks,
Brandon

Order a Springfield radiator from Saferacer, throw the t-stat away and your problems are solved, you will be 170/180 in those conditions
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
I run a 53mm Koyo in my '95 and aside from waiting for the scales, I usually don't get much over 160 without a stat. I rarely hit 175 with one. I think the 1.8 must run a lot cooler than the 1.6. If you decide the water pump might be an issue, it's not really a big deal to change.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:59

I run a 53mm Koyo in my '95 and aside from waiting for the scales, I usually don't get much over 160 without a stat. I rarely hit 175 with one. I think the 1.8 must run a lot cooler than the 1.6. If you decide the water pump might be an issue, it's not really a big deal to change.

I was running this past weekend in 103 degree heat in Texas and my car was 210-215, I have a 53mm Koyo. My buddy who has a SpringField was running about 7-10 degrees cooler. At the end of the session he was running 207. Neither of us have thermostats.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
Where were you running Brian?

-tch

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:59

Where were you running Brian?

MSRC on Sunday. I presume you were running the Apex day on Saturday? I was out on Sunday with Brett Gabriel, we were doing some setup testing.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

luckymiata76

luckymiata76

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Car Number:76
High 80's at GingerMan last weekend. 53 mm Koyo, no thermostat, ran 206 F in my '99.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

MSRC on Sunday. I presume you were running the Apex day on Saturday? I was out on Sunday with Brett Gabriel, we were doing some setup testing.

Yeah. Apex. A good day.

-tch

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
Those who have bought the CX model radiator, is this the same one?

eBay CX Radiator

I couldn't complain for $130 all-in considering what mine is doing right now.

Ken Wilkinson

Ken Wilkinson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Region:Mid Atlantic
  • Car Number:228
There are a lot of different numbers above...what is the optimum number for performance?

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco

High 80's at GingerMan last weekend. 53 mm Koyo, no thermostat, ran 206 F in my '99.

+1

There are a lot of different numbers above...what is the optimum number for performance?

I've heard 195~205.

Brandon,
If your on a budget and there's nothing wrong with your racing AL Rad, put it back and take the thermostat out.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

Those who have bought the CX model radiator, is this the same one?

eBay CX Radiator

I couldn't complain for $130 all-in considering what mine is doing right now.

That's the one. The downsides I hear are spotty welding on some of them and some of the beads aren't too clean. If you've got an AC tig it might not be an issue to maintain. It's not going to have the cooling capacity that a Koyo or Springfield due to the core but I'd say it's better than stock.

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Number:92
I have one of those CX Racing radiators and a stock, MAZDA thermostat in my car.

It ALWAYS runs 192 even in 100+ degree heat here in central Texas.

It's not the prettiest thing I've ever seen, but it sure seems to do the job.

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72
A properly working thermostat will do you no harm. The problem is, they go bad very often.

When they go bad they can stick open. At which point you will not even know about it.

Or they can stick closed, causing the car to run hot or overheat.

Unless you are running below 50* air temps, the thermostat has no beneficail use. But it sure can cause problems, so why take the chance?

It always amazes me that we have this same conversation every few months. And the result is always the same. Definition of insanity: doing the same thing twice and expecting different results

Dave
  • Anthony Ralston likes this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ken Wilkinson

Ken Wilkinson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Region:Mid Atlantic
  • Car Number:228

A properly working thermostat will do you no harm. The problem is, they go bad very often.

When they go bad they can stick open. At which point you will not even know about it.

Or they can stick closed, causing the car to run hot or overheat.

Unless you are running below 50* air temps, the thermostat has no beneficail use. But it sure can cause problems, so why take the chance?

It always amazes me that we have this same conversation every few months. And the result is always the same. Definition of insanity: doing the same thing twice and expecting different results

Dave

Dave, thanks for your advice. I am curious to know what is the optimal water temperature range for performance and at what point (high and low) should alert you to a problem?

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
Here's a tip.
Point the overflow tube from your expansion tank out under the side of the hood. Then, if the car overheats to the point that the expansion tank is full, it will start spraying water on to the passenger side of your windshield. It's easy to miss a temp gauge reading but it's almost impossible to miss water spraying all over your windshield.

Keep going after that, Safety will be putting down speedy dry and/or picking up pieces from your engine.

220 isn't good.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
Thanks to everyone who offered up specific details/data on their setups. I did forget one tidbit regarding my AL radiator: it managed to bear the edge of a jack saddle when I was trying to move around the front end while elevated on the jack. This caused one of the fan mounts to tear & bend in the radiator and, of course, destroy the fan (shroud, mount, & blades). The radiator was repaired but perhaps there's more than just the hole that's impacted.

Looking at the radiator now I can see a slight bend "upwards" which to me indicates possible compromised flow - especially problematic if it's a downflow type (or crossflow, I don't recall exactly) as you could effectively lose half the cooling capacity flow based upon where the bend is located (near the middle).

Dumping the damaged one, a thorough cleaning of the cooling system, gutting the t-stat and going with the cheap-y CX Racing model should work well for me.

Thanks again!
Brandon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users