Dave Metz

Dave Metz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:36
Located a few sets of tires (mostly Hoosiers) online VERY cheap. First, anyone know where the date code is on Hoosiers and how to read them? Second, the tires only have a couple heat cycles on them. They have been stored in a garage for an unknown period - will know when the date codes are checked. How long would they typically be good? Regional level racing, of course...
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Located a few sets of tires (mostly Hoosiers) online VERY cheap. First, anyone know where the date code is on Hoosiers and how to read them? Second, the tires only have a couple heat cycles on them. They have been stored in a garage for an unknown period - will know when the date codes are checked. How long would they typically be good? Regional level racing, of course...

It is a bit of a crap shoot... Sometimes they are fine, some times they are rock hard and never come back. I would lean towards never coming back?

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Dave Metz

Dave Metz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

It is a bit of a crap shoot... Sometimes they are fine, some times they are rock hard and never come back. I would lean towards never coming back?

Jim

I hope you are wrong. Drove to Nashville overnightTo get them. Just checked what I think is the date on one of them and it is 4 years old. Hope I didn't waste 17 hours driving and $200+ in gas. If I did, guess it is a lesson learned.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

TreadZone

TreadZone

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
The date code is the last 4 digits of the DOT number. If the last 4 are 2106, it would be the 21st week of 2006. There is a DOT on both sides but one side is shorter and does not have the date.
Joe
My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!
Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys!

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39
I am with Drago on this one - back when I started racing a well known racing family very "kindly" sold me a set of old Hoosiers! I doubt that I have ever had less grip and that included rain and ice driving. For your sake I hope I am wrong.

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Dave Metz

Dave Metz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Thanks for the info. Guess I should have asked BEFORE I made the trip. Next time.

svvs

svvs

do they sell spec training wheels yet?

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:12?
That being said, I have had good luck with Toyo take offs before. Purchased them from a race prep shop up here in the North east.....basically they were the leftovers from sets that had been flatspotted, crashed, etc. In a pinch they worked really well for me!

I would just say be careful, and know what you are getting in to. Depending on how much life they have left, you will be spending a lot of money in mounting and balancing. Might be fine for DE's/practice days, but from now on all my race tires are going to be ones I know the history of.

Vick
www.volko.com
Black SM/SM2/"Slap Bracelet Throwback" #12 in the Northeast....if the car was made in the early 90's it should look like it.

1.6L forever!  Bring on your '99's and '01's!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39
Yup - Old Toyos are often the hot ticket for certain tracks - sometimes really old Toyos are WAY better than fresh Toyos - very track dependent

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
If the rubber is hard to the touch "clean" them with simple green, that may help them come back to life if they are not to far gone.
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Joe Benoit

Joe Benoit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:28
Dave,

I've run used and old RA1's and R888's. I'm usually too poor to buy new shaves. Some of the oldest are just fine for HPDE's and I run them till they cord. Never had an issue there. Racing, I try to use the best I can find and some used tires I find are still pretty good for a midpack guy like me.

Joe
There must be a way to convert dirty diapers into race fuel!

davecarama

davecarama

Instructor

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:63

Dave,

I've run used and old RA1's and R888's. I'm usually too poor to buy new shaves. Some of the oldest are just fine for HPDE's and I run them till they cord. Never had an issue there. Racing, I try to use the best I can find and some used tires I find are still pretty good for a midpack guy like me.

Joe

If I recall correctly, Hoosier says they pull them off the shelf if they hit a year old... actually I have found that they discount them heavily and sell them on the cheaper side. I am not positive on that time span though, but I can find out if you need me to (shelf Life).

That doesn't mean they are useless though at that state. These guys chiming in are 100% correct, it all matters on how they were stored.
Here are the Do's and Don'ts direct from Hoosier:
What are the do's and don'ts when storing Hoosier race tires at the end of the racing season?

TIRE STORAGE
The useful life of a tire, whether mounted or dismounted, is directly affected by storage conditions. Tires should always be stored indoors in a dark, cool, dry room.

DO

1 Remove the tires from the vehicle.
2. Remove the air from the tires and store them on their side in a cool/dark/dry environment.
3. Place tires in a black plastic bag when stored during the "off-season".
4. Make sure the temperature range in the storage location is between 40-90 degrees Fahrenheit.

DON'T

1. Don't store tires in direct sunlight or near electric motors. (Electric motors emit small amounts of ozone.) Tires need to be protected from light, especially sunlight. Light causes ultraviolet damage by breaking down the rubber compounds. The storeroom should not contain electrical welding or any other equipment that could produce ozone.

2. Don't apply any chemical treatments to Hoosier tires. (It's not necessary and may actually damage the integrity of the tire by breaking down the rubber properties of the tire.) Tires must not be allowed to come in contact with oils, greases, solvents, or other petroleum products that cause rubber to soften or deteriorate.

3. Don't store tires in sub-freezing temperatures for any length of time. (The rubber can freeze and may crack as a result.)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
Dave, don't panic! We bought 5 year old 2 heat cycled hoosiers(3 sets!) from a well known racer. Ran those for HPDE and school...they goooed up just like new and where a great investment! Ran 05 RA1's this weekend until they corded...still worked fine. But I will say lap times came down 1 second when we put on some worn 2010 RA1's. But for none-race track time I think you'll be fine. Good luck!

Great info above Dave!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
Dave
Let us know at this point I'm curious:)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
By the way the car looks great, especially since the last time I saw it it was leaving here with only a cage in it. You did a nice job!
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:88
5. Play soothing 'new age' music for your tires.

I get all my used tires at Nelson Ledges - they have a great selection.
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Dave Metz

Dave Metz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

By the way the car looks great, especially since the last time I saw it it was leaving here with only a cage in it. You did a nice job!
Jim
E

Thanks. I'm real happy with how it turned out. Have had many people compliment the cage. Will let you know how the tires turn out. Not sure if I will get them on this weekend, but have a few events coming up.

Dave Metz

Dave Metz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

5. Play soothing 'new age' music for your tires.

I get all my used tires at Nelson Ledges - they have a great selection.

Tried that, but couldn't get a good time with two slicks, a snow tire and a retread. Plus the white paint didn't help. Maybe I shoulda looked through the pile a little longer!

joeg5982

joeg5982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Region:wny-scca
  • Car Year:1982
  • Car Number:15
Clean them and buy some HOT LAP or Formula V Traction treatment.

Will bring them back to life.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Clean them and buy some HOT LAP or Formula V Traction treatment.

Will bring them back to life.

Can you explain what this is? I would guess its not legal for SM competition but would like to understand and be informed. Watched a top 3 car come off the track at Infineon once and its tires looked like they had been through a meat grinder...never seen this before or since. Often wondered how they got like this...maybe this would explain it??

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
http://pitstopusa.co...-pro-blend.html

Yeah, pretty SURE not legal for race.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users