Photo

SCCA requires HANS for 2012 (finally!)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

Juan Pineda

Juan Pineda

You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house.

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:34
Dear SCCA Drivers:

Beginning January 1, 2012, Head and Neck restraints will become mandatory in SCCA Club Racing Regional, National and Driver School events. In December 2009, the Board of Directors approved the motion to require a device meeting SFI 38.1 or FIA 8858 specifications, and the announcement appeared in the January 2010 Fastrack® News.

In an effort to have everyone prepared for the new equipment requirement, we have put together the following information. This is by no means comprehensive, and it is not an endorsement of one product over another. Just as when buying a helmet or any other piece of safety gear, each driver is encouraged and expected to do their own research and select the product that they feel best suits their needs.

Why is SCCA requiring a head and neck restraint system?
Testing and data support that use of head and neck restraints greatly reduce the possibility of severe injury or death in specific racecar accidents.

Which products are approved?
Like many of its equipment requirements, SCCA recognizes both SFI 38.1 (www.sfifoundation.com) and FIA 8858 (www.fia.com) standards. You can visit these sites to see their approved list of devices. As of Aug. 10, 2011, the following devices are currently approved by SFI or both SFI and FIA:

HANS Performance Products – HANS Device (all series)
Safety Solutions R3 Device
Safety Solutions R3 Rage Device
Safety Solutions Hutchens Hybrid Pro Device
Safety Solutions Hutchens Hybrid Pro Rage Device
Safety Solutions Hutchens Hybrid/Hybrid Rage Device
Safety Solutions Hybrid X Device

For more information about these products, including a list of dealers for each, visit:
- www.hansdevice.com
- www.safetysolutionsracing.com
-
**If your Head and Neck device is not on the above list of current approved devices, but does have the appropriate certification sticker from a past approval, then you will be considered compliant.

What if I use a device not currently approved by SFI 38.1 or FIA 8858?
Only the devices approved will be permitted and one of the approved devices will be required. These two organizations have strict guidelines for head and neck devices and these guidelines have become the industry standard that SCCA has elected to adopt.

I already have one of these devices. I’m all set, right?
Not necessarily! Make sure your device has the SFI or FIA approval/certification on it.

The following are general guidelines provided by HANS and apply if you have an approved HANS Device:
- If you have a HANS Device with a SFI or FIA approval/certification sticker on it, you are all set.
- HANS Devices built prior to 2005 will not have a sticker from SFI or FIA on it and are not eligible for use without it. These devices can obtain the sticker through HANS direct approval. HANS will inspect the device, replace the tethers with an upgrade to the Vision Advantage Plus sliding tethers and ship it back to you upon approval with the sticker for approximately $75. Additional costs may be incurred if additional repairs are necessary. Contact HANS directly to arrange for this.
- HANS Devices built in or after 2005 but not carrying an SFI or FIA sticker will need to go through the same process as the pre-2005 devices before being eligible for use.

The following are general guidelines provided by Safety Solutions and apply if you have an approved Safety Solutions Device:
- If your device has a sticker from SFI or FIA, you are all set.
- If you do not have an SFI or FIA sticker, there are three levels of get it re-approved:
o For stickers that have gotten wet and faded or fallen off, devices are inspected by Safety Solutions for cracks or any other anomalies and a replacement sticker is applied. The cost for the inspection and sticker is $5.50 plus return shipping charges.
o For $75, the device can be re-webbed. This includes new tethers, padding over the shoulders and webbed fabric replacement. This price assumes all hardware and carbon fiber can be re-used. A new SFI sticker is applied during this procedure.

Does the SFI or FIA approval expire like seat belts?
There is currently no time-based expiration for SFI 38.1 or FIA 8858.

If you have any additional questions about the devices, please contact the manufacturers directly.

Please remember that these devices will be mandatory after 1/1/12. Arriving to the grid without one will be the same as arriving to the grid without your helmet—you won’t be permitted on track.

The Board and staff hope that this document has been useful and if there are any more general questions, please contact the staff at 800-770-2055 or at tech@scca.com.

CheckerLap.com -- Your race results!

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Number:30
Yeah, "finally", the end of racing for me. The rule will make me safer by assuring I never see the track again. :(

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:88
Not sure what the big deal is. I've been wearing a HANS for 5+ years (before NASA required it). After about the first 5 minutes I forget I had it on.

Cheer-up, they keep getting less expensive.
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

trimless

trimless

Low Budget Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:11
I remember complaining about laws requiring seat belts back in the 70's :rolleyes:
Time has a way of changing your perspective.
G. Corley
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
Given enough time, anything can become normal. Government spending, for example. Or Lady Gaga. But for me it's just economics on a smaller scale. I can only afford a race weekend or two a year, to keep my license. Next year the tire requirements will probably change, my harnesses are due, and I'll have to buy a HANS. That's a big chunk spent before I even enter a race, to replace stuff that works just fine as is. It's just too much to justify for one weekend. The increased regulations are putting me "out of business" (for my own good of course), in a microcosm of the national situation.

It's not that it's a "big deal", but it's one of several factors that make the difference between racing a little, and not racing ever again. That's a big deal to ME, but I don't expect anybody else to care.

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I think Gaga is HAWT!!!!!!!!!!!

PS. I learned years ago that noone really cares. For example, the SCCA doesn't really care if you break your neck or not, they just don't want to be insured out of existence.

PSS. Can't you get your belts re-webbed for < $100? If you can't afford new spec tires you can always enter IT. just sayin

pitbull113

pitbull113

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Region:CFR
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:01 ITA

Yeah, "finally", the end of racing for me. The rule will make me safer by assuring I never see the track again. :(

Unfortunately Jim this is what I hear from alot of racers. I think soon enough the SCCA will realize what a mistake this mandate is. By then the horse will have already left.

Steve Elicati
1994 ITA miata #01

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
My personal observation is that alot of racers in my area cross-over between NASA and SCCA, and already use a HANS, so it's a non-issue. It's also my observation that it's the 'seasoned' or 'old school' racers that are resistant.

AW33COM

AW33COM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Region:NE
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:78

Given enough time, anything can become normal. Government spending, for example.

- so very true, but it's normal only to those that are abnormal. US constitution renders it illegal.

My freedom mind tells me it's my neck, so it's my buisness if I break it or not. On the other side it is SCCA that has to pay for insurance and they want to be known as a safe organization. The problem with the Hans device is not the new rule, but the price. I have no idea what is inside the device, but nothing is there that costs $1000. I do have money, but I still did not pull out my debit card and order that thing. Expensive sport for sure, no matter how much you make.

On another note I see cars doing track days at NASA with no cage, suit, or any other safety device, but Hans is required there. Weird.

davecarama

davecarama

Instructor

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:63

I have no idea what is inside the device, but nothing is there that costs $1000.

I got mine new in the $600 range...
Link to HANS From SafeRacer.com

On another note I see cars doing track days at NASA with no cage, suit, or any other safety device, but Hans is required there. Weird.

All HPDE are like that. It is entry level, getting people interested in driving at the track and HPDE is very different from racing. The risks are lower in the more controlled HPDE environment. Most "incidents" are a cars spinning, or a car going off and getting stuck in a gravel pit. Rarely do you have a car hit a wall, and even more rare do you have metal to metal contact (I have only heard of metal to metal contact happening 2 maybe 3 times at events I have attended in the last 13 years I have been participating in HPDE... and that was stupid instructors and all at the same event).

But if you feel racing and HPDE are the same, and should be held to the same standard (I am not pointing this at anyone specifically), why not quit racing and go back to HPDE where those items are not required?

I bought a HANS well before I got a comp license. I feel uncomfortable getting into a student's car who doesn't have harnesses because that means I can't use my HANS...

I also feel bored at HPDE events now. They are so slow and less intense.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts

My personal observation is that alot of racers in my area cross-over between NASA and SCCA, and already use a HANS, so it's a non-issue. It's also my observation that it's the 'seasoned' or 'old school' racers that are resistant.

Dunno if I like being referred to as "seasoned" or not! ;) The NASA connection probably does have that effect where it exists -- I wish it did here. But there are only two sanctioning bodies in operation locally, and so far neither has required HANS. With SCCA doing so, I'm sure ICSCC will follow suit before long.

I agree with Schabi, these things are overly expensive, especially since their ship has now come in. Nothing like having your product required to make your sales go through the roof.

AW33COM

AW33COM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Region:NE
  • Car Number:78
I do agree with the above, and it looks like I was not clear to what I wanted to say:

I have a feeling the Hans device is expensive for a single reason: It is REQUIRED. My Me-otta was built to the Grand AM spec. I love safety and I do not protest against a Hans device, but there is nothing there on the device that is worth $650. It is still a lot of money for something that costs $50 (max) to produce.

The racing safety items are so expensive that we already contemplated producing them here in the states. No competition, huge money, guaranteed business, because it's required to buy.

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
I think there is some frustration in the rule changes at every level, especially in the current economic environment.

For people on a limited budget and trying to stay at the pointy end, get a fast motor together and the rules change. Spend a bunch more money to be compliant to new rules and an inconviniently timed new rule comes out. Suspension rules keep changing or at least proposed changes keep happening. Fuel pressure regulators...

Even for the guys not as concerned about the last bit of speed. Tires? RA1s...888s...back to RA1s...a new supplier coming into the mix now? Granted, some of this is beyond anyone's control but I'm looking at scabbing the last of my collection of marginally usable tires together for my last weekend of the season so I don't go out and spend $1400 for new tires I can only race one weekend.

I wear a HNR but fully respect the "quit legislating my personal safety" frame of mind. Stack a bunch of those together and it definately doesn't help.

BTW- I'm betting that when you consider the design, tooling, testing, certification, and overhead of the HNR companies coupled with a somewhat limited market there's less margin than you think in the price. Otherwise EVERYONE would be selling them.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

- so very true, but it's normal only to those that are abnormal. US constitution renders it illegal.

My freedom mind tells me it's my neck, so it's my buisness if I break it or not. On the other side it is SCCA that has to pay for insurance and they want to be known as a safe organization. The problem with the Hans device is not the new rule, but the price. I have no idea what is inside the device, but nothing is there that costs $1000. I do have money, but I still did not pull out my debit card and order that thing. Expensive sport for sure, no matter how much you make.

Engineering and R&D. As others have mentioned the Sport series is more affordable. I agree that it's your neck and and if you want to take the risk that's fine by me. However, six hun or even a grand is lot cheaper than basilar skull fracture. That is if you live.

Kudo

Kudo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Number:77
Out of all the things in racing you could spend $600 on, your neck should be at the top of your priority list. Now I understand that $600 is not a small expense, and that it might chip into small budgets. But think about it from a macro level. Basilar skull fractures are closely associated with serious racing collisions (the human neck is not designed to take the additional weight of a helmet at speed). Typically, basilar skull fractures are lethal, but for those lucky enough to survive, they are forced to live a lowered quality of life. On a purely economic level, with such a litigious society, can you really blame them for wanting to prevent this? I'm not trying to be inconsiderate here, but you have to consider the wider implications for the organization.

I do have a possible solution for you though:

If you're really worried about keeping your license up to date, why don't you write your regional office and tell them that you can't afford to do both of your yearly required races with this purchase, and then ask for an extension. My buddy has gotten an extension for less, I'm pretty sure they'll understand.

It's tough times, but really, a $600 insurance policy on your neck is always a safe bet.

-k
---

kudo

Driver #07, Crew
Motion Sickness Racing
Sonoma, CA

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
I did an exemption last year, I doubt they'd do it for me twice in a row.

The "it's worth it to save my neck" argument is just a variation on the political "if it saves just one child..." argument. It's a way to sell anything at any cost, by going crazy over the risk at the far fringe of the statistical curve. And it's probably more valuable to the pencil-neck geeks out there. This geek has a neck that could probably support the damn car! ;)

Oh, the list goes on -- need a new helmet too, 'cause it's got an old sticker on it. :(

In fairness to HANS, that composite piece is probably slow and expensive to build. It would be nice to think the price will come down with larger sales, but I doubt it. BTW, speaking of necks, the only time I tried a HANS it just about cut my head off -- I'm not sure I could even drive with one, it constricts so much. I really do have a big neck.

I don't fault SCCA for requiring the thing, based on the Columbia effect (like the Coriolis effect, except it's where the entire world circles the drain due to an overabundance of lawyers). It's a perfectly good cost containment measure. But like other mass-usage cost containments, it costs everyone, and some just can't do it. The combination is just pricing me out of the sport. You guys enjoy yourselves, until your time comes too.

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

In fairness to HANS, that composite piece is probably slow and expensive to build. It would be nice to think the price will come down with larger sales, but I doubt it. BTW, speaking of necks, the only time I tried a HANS it just about cut my head off -- I'm not sure I could even drive with one, it constricts so much. I really do have a big neck.

The CF model likely has more than a hundred in just CF materials. Then layup, autoclave, etc. They got the price down on the Sport series because they changed the material. A 20* fit me like a choke collar, likely you'll feel a bit more comfortable in a 30*. I understand its common for larger guys in sedan type cars and the only way I could fit into a Sport series.

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I love my HANS. When I have it on I look just like Sebastian Vettel.

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts

I'd buy one to look like Vettel, with my last buck. Without one I look more like Jabba the Hutt.

red986s

red986s

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Region:NRSCCA
  • Car Number:64

^^Nice! :D
Mitch
Mannschaft Schwartz Auto-Rennen
YouTube Channel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users