7 replies to this topic

smbstyle

smbstyle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Region:CFR
  • Car Year:1990
Hello all, first time posting. I just picked up this car to be used as a track-day car and running with the local clubs at Sebring, no plans on going competitive, maybe some auto-X, but I know you all are the experts on track-prepping a Miata so I figured I would post up here to help get your thoughts...

The previous owner had this cage built, its a full 6-point, and the seat is a Sparco Sprint 5. It is mounted with Sparco side mounts, and the trans tunnel has been modified to give room for the side mount and easy access to it.

When I sit in the car, my legs are absolutely crushed, but I have plenty of headroom. I'm not a giant by any means; I am 6'0" and 195lbs, 36in waist. When looking at the room behind the seat though, it doesnt look like I have a ton of room to move the seat back though, so that's where I need you help. (see pics below).

Does anyone have any creative ideas? Do you think a different seat would give me more room? Should the cage be modified somehow? Keep in mind I dont need the cage to be SCCA/NASA legal, but I DO need it to be safe.

Also, I noticed the quick release hub I have feels a little loose (has a little slack up and down, but it is tight when turning the car either way). Can these hubs be tightened or should I just replace it?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
I'm not the expert but it looks like the seat can come back if your staying with that one, it's not touching the cage at all right now. I don't know about your seat but some have the foam insert in the bottom and back you can take out getting alittle more room. Depending on how you like it you could angle the seat up and bottom back so your butt is farther back.

I'm sure the taller guys will chim in.
Your question isn't the 1st so maybe do a search up top.
Also Tom H. has his blog on the right that may help you.
Good luck,
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14
It looks as tho the apex of the inside bottom of the seat & the inside back of the seat is a long way from the rear firewall. I'm about the same size as you & with an Ultra Shield pro road race seat I have zero issues with my legs. As an example when I sit normally belted in the seat I can put my feet behind the pedals & my legs are streched straight out.

Have someone take a picture of you belted in & post the picture.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Dave Metz

Dave Metz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:36

It looks as tho the apex of the inside bottom of the seat & the inside back of the seat is a long way from the rear firewall. I'm about the same size as you & with an Ultra Shield pro road race seat I have zero issues with my legs. As an example when I sit normally belted in the seat I can put my feet behind the pedals & my legs are streched straight out.

Have someone take a picture of you belted in & post the picture.

I agree with D.D. I am 6'1" but not exactly the 36. I did an ultrashield as well. You can choose angles for the back. I belive mine was a 20 degree. I have the front angled up maybe an inch and a quarter. This lays the seat back almost to my cage. It does look like you have quite a bit of room to play with. To check, try pulling it loose and throwing a 2x4 scrap under the front edge and pushing the seat rearward as far as you can, bet you'll be close with the seat you have. On the quick release, personally, wouldn't take any chances. Search the forum for it and you'll see some scary discussions on failures. For the price of a new one, think it is worth the peace of mind.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
I can't see the side mounts but if you can tilt the seat forward, you'll have less headroom but more back clearance and can slide the seat farther back.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

smbstyle

smbstyle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

I agree with D.D. I am 6'1" but not exactly the 36. I did an ultrashield as well. You can choose angles for the back. I belive mine was a 20 degree. I have the front angled up maybe an inch and a quarter. This lays the seat back almost to my cage. It does look like you have quite a bit of room to play with. To check, try pulling it loose and throwing a 2x4 scrap under the front edge and pushing the seat rearward as far as you can, bet you'll be close with the seat you have. On the quick release, personally, wouldn't take any chances. Search the forum for it and you'll see some scary discussions on failures. For the price of a new one, think it is worth the peace of mind.

Yeah I definitely have plenty of room right now behind the seat to the rear firewall, but my worry is if I move the seat STRAIGHT back, I only have an inch of room before I contact the door bar, but if I move the seat inwards, I've got plenty of room to move back. Does moving the seat inwards, and not being exactly centered to the steering wheel, make it an awkward driving position?

Also, on the quick releases, it looks like the splined part is welded to the steering shaft. Do I need to replace this part as well if I want to fix the issue of mine having a little play in it, or can I just buy the quick-release that bolts to the actual steering wheel?

Thanks to everyone who has replied, you all have been very helpful, I appreciate it!

Dave Metz

Dave Metz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:36
My seat is offset and angled slightly. Don't notice it when driving. Maybe if you were running enduros or something you might notice it more. It is not uncomfortable at all for me. In the quick release, that is a different style than mine. Hopefully someone that has that type will provide some more info. If yoy live near a tracm, head to an event or two. Most drivers won't mind if you sit in their cars to see what fits yoy best.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

smbstyle

smbstyle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

My seat is offset and angled slightly. Don't notice it when driving. Maybe if you were running enduros or something you might notice it more. It is not uncomfortable at all for me. In the quick release, that is a different style than mine. Hopefully someone that has that type will provide some more info. If yoy live near a tracm, head to an event or two. Most drivers won't mind if you sit in their cars to see what fits yoy best.

I am about an hour from Sebring, and I know there are always NASA and SCCA events down there. I went to a race back in July, but never approached any of the drivers. I will next time though to get an idea of what I like.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users