Photo

Tire Options for the 2011 ARRC by GRM

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Poll: Tire Options for the 2011 ARRC by GRM (35 member(s) have cast votes)

Which tires do you want to allow in SM & SM2 at the 2011 ARRC by GRM (multiple choices are allowed)?

1. Toyo RA-1 (29 votes [58.00%])

Percentage of vote: 58.00%

2. Toyo R-888 (6 votes [12.00%])

Percentage of vote: 12.00%

3. Hoosier SM-6 (15 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Butch Kummer

Butch Kummer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
Which tires do you want to allow?

Butch Kummer

Former SCCA Director of Club Racing (2012-2014)

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Which tires do you want to allow?

Is this open to all including those that have no intent of doing the ARRC?
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Butch Kummer

Butch Kummer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Is this open to all including those that have no intent of doing the ARRC?

If you have no intent of running the ARRC by GRM, how would I know?

My original plan was to let SM & SM2 run either the 2011 or 2012 tires. That would allow guys that have the older tires (the Toyos) to burn them up while also allowing guys to start getting ready for 2012 with the Hoosiers. When I published that you would have thought I shot the Pope!

The front-runners will all be on whatever they perceive as being the best tire, so this is REALLY for the guys mid-pack and back.

Butch Kummer

Terry Clements

Terry Clements

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Region:Souhwest
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:6
Guess this means we have to buy both:-(. We have never raced on Hoosier tires. Too much at stake to show up with the wrong tire. Pick one or the other. Preferably Toyo.

Terry Clements
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

If you have no intent of running the ARRC by GRM, how would I know?

My original plan was to let SM & SM2 run either the 2011 or 2012 tires. That would allow guys that have the older tires (the Toyos) to burn them up while also allowing guys to start getting ready for 2012 with the Hoosiers. When I published that you would have thought I shot the Pope!

The front-runners will all be on whatever they perceive as being the best tire, so this is REALLY for the guys mid-pack and back.

Butch,

Do you honestly think the front runners or midpackers for that matter want to spend valuable practice sessions at one of the biggest races of the year, chasing tire/set up changes. We have all fall and winter to play with Hoosiers. I would hate to "start testing" at the biggest race of the year for most of us. Yes I can start buying Hoosiers now but that doesn't help me with set up at Road Atlanta in November when its 104 every day for the forseable future in Texas. I have friends with data and setup advice on the RA1s I can go there with a good setup and work my way to excellent on RA1s during the practice sessions. I have no chance of that if I have to bring two different tires and start from scratch on one. I know, I tried it with two different cars (1.6 & NB) a few weeks back and ended up less than mediocre in both.

I know its your show, so do what you think is best.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
Butch, this is not a SARRC race and SM tire for regional races is open. SM has raced at the ARRC MANY times on the open tire rule. I know the year MEATHEAD Racing won the ARRC we tested both the Toyo and Hoosier on the test day. If people care to go find the old photos I am certain they can figure out which tire we ran.
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Gatoratty

Gatoratty

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:3
Many of the front runners will have run the Hoosiers at the Sebring SARRC race in October as that begins the 2012 SARRC season.
Paul McLester
SM #3
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Car Number:53
Paul, I think you are jumping the gun by saying that the Hoosier tire will be the tire for the October SARRC races.

Specifically, the SARRC rules say that the SARRC races are conducted under the SEDiv Regional race rules. And the SEDiv regional race rules for Spec Miata say that the tire will be the same rules as for National races. If I read the new rule correctly, it says effective 1-1-12 that the Hoosier tire will be the required tire for SM.

I would suggest that you contact the Chairman of the SEDiv regional class rules committee to see if the committee has addressed this.

As I read the rule, Toyo RA1 until 12-31-11 & on 1-1-12 Hoosier is the tire for SARRC races.

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
When will there be a concrete decision made?
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Butch Kummer

Butch Kummer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

When will there be a concrete decision made?

I'm going to discuss options with Drago and Fowler this weekend at Barber, then I'll post a final decision (with a full explanation of how I arrived at it) on Monday, Sept 5.

Butch Kummer

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
Ok thanks
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39
Butch

I would like to propose that the tire for SM ARRC be OPEN. That way those that want to run Hoosiers and get some data for next season have that option, and those that want to burn off their supply of Toyo's have that option too.

Just my $0.02

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Butch Kummer

Butch Kummer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
This past weekend at Barber I sought opinions from Drago, Fowler, Steyn, and von Charbonneau. The final decision is my original plan:

For the 2011 ARRC by GRM, SM (and SM2) can run the R-888, the RA-1, or the SM6 tire. All four tires must be the same.

This is not quite the "open" tire that some of you sought (you can't run A-6s, for instance), but all four of my consultants supported this decision. Reasoning follows (in no particular order):

1. This is a one-year deal brought on by the SCCA's transition to the Hoosier in 2012.
2. In back-to-back testing there is less than two-tenths difference in total lap times.
3. The Hoosier is 5-7 tenths faster from Turn 1 to Turn 7 while the RA-1 gains most of that back on the back straight and going down the front straight.
4. You can't pass in the Esses (at least without hitting the guy in front of you), so that greatly negates the Hoosier's advantage in race conditions.
5. If I was racing in SM I MIGHT think about qualifying on Hoosiers, but I'd want to run the race on RA-1s (think about where 90% of the passing occurs).
5. SCCA guys that burn up their supply of RA-1s at the NASA Nationals or the Runoffs don't have to choose between buying a new set for a single race vs. staying home.
6. This is a one-year deal brought on by the SCCA's transition to the Hoosier in 2012.

I certainly understand (and appreciate) that winning the ARRC by GRM carries a lot of prestigue in the racing community, but it is NOT the Championship event for Spec Miata. If you want to be the SCCA Spec Miata National Champion you need to be in Wisconsin later this month.

I further understand this decision might very well piss off some folks to the point they'll threaten to never attend another Atlanta Region event ever. To those people I can only say that (after much consideration and consultation - I've lost WAY more sleep over this than is healthy) I'm doing what I think is best for the Atlanta Region racing program. And remember, this is a one-year deal brought on by the SCCA's transition to the Hoosier in 2012.

As always I appreciate your input, but the decision is final.

Hope to see you at the track...

Butch Kummer
Competition Director
Atlanta Region SCCA

Butch Kummer

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Number:41
I just want to know one thing. Will you do this again next year?

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Butch Kummer

Butch Kummer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

I just want to know one thing. Will you do this again next year?

Because you think I'm doing a good job or you're hoping I die in a fire? :rolleyes:

It depends on who gets elected Regional Executive.

Butch Kummer

Blake Clements

Blake Clements

• Moderators
  • 305 posts
Mark the tires and make us run what tires we qualify on - all or nothing?

Blake Clements

http://www.blakeclements.com - Driver Coaching, Consulting, & Video/Data Analysis.

OPM Autosports/SP Induction Systems/X-Factor Racing/G-Loc Brakes/Traqmate/Bell Helmets

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner -

Butch Kummer

Butch Kummer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

We can do that. You've got two qualifying sessions, so do "you" (the majority of the SM drivers) want to be required to run the same set of tires for both qualifiers plus the race?

If so, we'd do an Impound All after the first qualifier on Friday and mark everyone's tires. If you show up on Grid with an unmarked tire for the second qualifier you lose the times from Session #1. If you show with on Grid for the race with an unmarked tire you start from the back.

Another option would be to have everyone declare what tire option they'll be running so there's no switching back and forth. You don't need to run the exact same tires, but you DO need to run the same option every session. That would be a bit more work for Grid to monitor, but I'm sure we're up to the task.

Figure out what you want and I'll figure out how to enforce it.

Obviously the Pro-IT and ECR sessions are not included.

Also let me know the rules if it rains?

Butch Kummer

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Why would we care what tire you qualify on? I don't? I'll support whatever, but seems like a lot of grief for nothing? What are you trying to accomplish?

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Number:79
Stay on what everyone knows for 2011, RA1, plus use up some of the obsolete tires for 2012. We were planning to show up for fun, but won't if it means having to stock up on Hoosiers and learn a new setup on a new track for us. :)

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Terry Clements

Terry Clements

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Region:Souhwest
  • Car Year:1997
What was the purpose of this poll?

Terry Clements
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users