7 replies to this topic

Adax

Adax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Region:ATL
  • Car Number:49
I can find nothing in the GCR regarding using anything other than OEM fuel lines (hose). With the new adjustable FPR regulations, something other than stock hose will have to be used. I'll assume I should use something of similar ID (5/16)? What about using -6 AN lines (most adjustable FPR's are designed for this)?

Any thoughts or did I miss something.

Alan

Alan Cross

My build blog

2017 SARRC SM Champion

2016 SARRC SM ECR Champion

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72
I can only speak for my kits, but I include all the neccessary hoses and clamps as part of the kit.

Make sure that what ever you decide on, that it is rated as fuel injection hose. Autoparts store rubber fuel line is rated for carburetors running 7-10 psi. You must specify high pressure fuel injection hose. At about $6 per foot. And get the correct clamps!

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Adax

Adax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Region:ATL
  • Car Number:49
Already got one of yours installed, Dave. That's what got me thinking about it.

Alan Cross

My build blog

2017 SARRC SM Champion

2016 SARRC SM ECR Champion

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
Auto parts stores in these parts carry fuel line capable of injection as a standard. There haven't been carbs on passenger cars in almost 30 years. We did the stock cars in all braided and AN fittings but it can be a bit expensive and making your own can be tedious at first. I think it's worth it but I'm using stock fittings and generic fuel hose in the Miata because I don't see where replacing that is legal in the rules.

Lee Tilton

Lee Tilton

I wanna go faster!

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Region:WDC - NASA Mid-Atl
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:04

Auto parts stores in these parts carry fuel line capable of injection as a standard. There haven't been carbs on passenger cars in almost 30 years. We did the stock cars in all braided and AN fittings but it can be a bit expensive and making your own can be tedious at first. I think it's worth it but I'm using stock fittings and generic fuel hose in the Miata because I don't see where replacing that is legal in the rules.

And just because the line is braided doesn't mean it is suitable for fuel. I used braided in my FFR Cobra build, and the fuel fumes would leach out over time. You need to use a specially coated line to prevent fuel odors.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

And just because the line is braided doesn't mean it is suitable for fuel. I used braided in my FFR Cobra build, and the fuel fumes would leach out over time. You need to use a specially coated line to prevent fuel odors.

Indeed. The braided we use is Aeroquip AQP for fuel or PS and is good for about 1000 psi or so, burst at 5k psi. And it's about four bucks a foot. Aeroquip also has FC300 which IIRC is around 2200-2300 psi. If you are working on any plumbing in your car you need to make sure you use the right parts.

Clayton L

Clayton L

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Year:1990
Autozone carries this Nitrile lined fuel injection hose that works great and doesn't break down due to the liner. It's not cheap though.

Posted Image

BTW, carburetors were used up until about 1990 (~20 years ago). A lot of the fuel line you see isn't rated for fuel injection, but the stuff that is, says it pretty clearly on the side of the hose. I don't buy it unless it is lined with something other than rubber though, even for carb setups.

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
Most passenger cars stopped using carbs around 1984 which is around the time many started going to front wheel drive. Light trucks and a few passenger cars used them until around 1990.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users