Photo

Coolant leak, anyone ever seen this before?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

makus0025

makus0025

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:25
This past weekend I ran both days at milwaukee mile and kept on losing the water in the radiator 3 of the runs it just disappeared I had no idea where it went but 1 run it sprayed brown water all over the left side of the engine. It seemed to spray that time from the radiator cap. I have no idea why the water was brown I have always used distilled water and water wetter.

I also noticed when the engine was cool the radiator hose was soft but once the engine got up to temp it was very firm.

- about 15 laps in I could smell like the engine was running hot but the stock temp gauge looked fine.

- the oil level and color looked fine.

- the electric fan does come on after the car comes up to temp

After getting home I can tell it wasn't leaking from the radiator cap
the water level is down in the radiator and the water inside is brown again.

makus0025

makus0025

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
pic1Attached File  111.jpg   44.61KB   76 downloads

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990
Time for a coolant system pressure test
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
FYI...I'm not an expert!

Our motor got warm recently and the cap popped...which sends water into your overflow tank and then out the overflow hose. Ours showed up on the hood coming out around the head light(NA). For us this was strange as our car never over heats...turns out it was a weak/tired cap. No problem after we replaced it. Your hoses should be hard when the car is warm...you want pressure which allows the water a higher boiling point. And when the car is cool the hoses will be soft...no pressure!

Brown is pretty typical as the iron block does rust. But just how much is normal I don't know...steel radiators(parts of) I've also seen rust. I'll leave this to one of the real mechanics here to advise you.

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
The water color is normal for higher mileage cars or street engines converted for race use and have not been hot tanked. Sounds like your cap fails under pressure.

Looking at the pic again, the way to test is like Alberto says. Pressure test will tell where your leak might be.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
It may be only the cap.
Then again it may not. :unsure:
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Number:22
In that picture it seems like there is a big spot around the heater hoses? Could be a pinhole crack in those hoses? The cooling system is pretty simple on these cars there aren't to many options for possible problems.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Car Number:14
If you live in the Milweaukee metro area provide an e-mail or phone number & we can take a look.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

joeg5982

joeg5982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Region:wny-scca
  • Car Year:1982
  • Car Number:15
I vote cap.

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Year:1991
Someone told me this at my last race - Radiator caps are cheap enough, buy two. Then you have a spare.
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE
My vote is heater hose with the staining that far back

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

makus0025

makus0025

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
Thank you everyone for the help

So far I came up with it is not the cap, for 1 I just put a new one on and 2nd the air intake tube is clean no brown on it so the leak must be from behind the intake tube . Everything is coated starting by the thermostat and back.

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
How old is Walter Pumpe?
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Dave Cox

Dave Cox

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Region:Blackhawk Valley
  • Car Number:23
I would say check the neck where the hose connects to the head make sure that gasket hasn't failed. I have had to reseal that area in the past. Hard to tell, but it looks like the cam gear cover (in the front) might have some orange on it.

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79
Pressure check the radiator, most places like Auto Zone, etc. will have a loaner you can use. You should find out pretty quickly.

Pat

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

wreckerboy

wreckerboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Region:NJ
  • Car Number:53

Time for a coolant system pressure test

This. Stop guessing and find out what is really wrong.

I had a cooling system leak at the track a few years ago that I could not pin down and eventually had to pack it in for the weekend. When I got home I invested about $125 in a Stant pressure testing system and found the problem in about 30 seconds - a pinhole leak in a heater core hose that only appeared under pressure when hot. The bleeping thing was spraying like a fountain.

$125 may seem expensive at first blush, but compared to the possible costs of a blown motor while you are shotgunning parts at it, and/or the costs of lost track days, it starts looking real cheap. I've used it several times since and it's worth it's weight in gold to me. It has also become one of those "I'll take it with me to the track to assure that I'll never need it again" tools.

Rob Myles | "I didn't lose, I got out-painted!"
Hero To The Momentum Challenged
WDCR SSM #30

Dave Metz

Dave Metz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:36

So far I came up with it is not the cap, for 1 I just put a new one on and 2nd the air intake tube is clean no brown on it so the leak must be from behind the intake tube . Everything is coated starting by the thermostat and back.

Check the pipe under the exhaust manifold that goes to the heater hose. I just found a leak in mine at the bend and that looks like the general area that most of your brown is. Just a thought. I found mine with a puddle under the car tonight (rusty as well) - filled the rad back up and it started dripping again. Traced it to the underside of that pipe.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

fishguyaz

fishguyaz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Region:AZ
  • Car Number:92

So far I came up with it is not the cap, for 1 I just put a new one on

a well known formula car mechanic i know says

" if it just came out of a box is is assumed not to work, unless it proves itself otherwise."

also +1 for the coolant system pressure test.
Josh Pitt
1999 SM #92 SoPac division

Jerry Cabe

Jerry Cabe

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Region:Cincy Region SCCA
  • Car Number:10 SM

a well known formula car mechanic i know says

" if it just came out of a box is is assumed not to work, unless it proves itself otherwise."

also +1 for the coolant system pressure test.

So the new Coolant System Pressure Tester is assumed not to work correctly? <_<

Jerry Cabe
2014 Cincy Region Race Chair

"Just driving SM until the F1 is ready - Well the F-1 car is ready, but I'm not."

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Dennis

Dennis

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Region:NorCal
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:27
I have the Radiator Pressure Tester from Harbor Freight for 79.99. It's got adapters to fit almost any radiator so useful for all my other cars as well as SM. The Miata started losing coolant during qualifying for the 25 Hour. With the tester we found a pinhole leak in the oil cooler coolant hose in the back of the head in a few minutes. Saved our @$$!

Now I do a pressure test every time I do any work on the cooling system, just to be sure. Money well spent.

Dennis
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users