Motor City Hamilton

Motor City Hamilton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Region:Detroit
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:51
Who is on the committee to make decisions about the SM tire for 2012 in the Great Lakes Region? Will it remain open tire? Is there a mechanism for racer feedback?

Waterford Hills Raceway up here near Detroit is currently having the same discussion. Most of their racers voted SM6 and Toyo RA1 for 2012 and both Hoosier and Toyo for rains.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
I hope they leave it as is, Open. best option for the racer is "options" assuming we are talking about Regional. Regarding National, I hate to say I am not a Hoosier fan on longevity grounds. I vote BF Goodrich G Force

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jerry Cabe

Jerry Cabe

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Region:Cincy Region SCCA
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:10 SM

Who is on the committee to make decisions about the SM tire for 2012 in the Great Lakes Region? Will it remain open tire? Is there a mechanism for racer feedback?

Waterford Hills Raceway up here near Detroit is currently having the same discussion. Most of their racers voted SM6 and Toyo RA1 for 2012 and both Hoosier and Toyo for rains.

Currently on the GLD Regional Championship Committee are David Brown (Chair), Richard Ruck, Dayle Frame, and myself. The next committee meeting is scheduled for the fall Roundtable (Nov. 5th), but I know I will not be able to attend. The Committee has kept SM Regional as Open Tire in the GLD ever since SM went national based upon driver input. I would suggest if anyone has a strong opinion (one way or the other), please voice an email to one or all members of the committee. Our emails are Dave (spdmonkey@aol.com), Richard (richard@ruckracing.com), Dayle (frameh@msu.edu), and me (jcabe@belcan.com). Driver input will be the basis for what the committee does for tires for the 2012 SM season. My vote (as a driver) is to keep SM tires open for regional events in the GLD.

Jerry Cabe
2014 Cincy Region Race Chair

"Just driving SM until the F1 is ready - Well the F-1 car is ready, but I'm not."

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Currently on the GLD Regional Championship Committee are David Brown (Chair), Richard Ruck, Dayle Frame, and myself. The next committee meeting is scheduled for the fall Roundtable (Nov. 5th), but I know I will not be able to attend. The Committee has kept SM Regional as Open Tire in the GLD ever since SM went national based upon driver input. I would suggest if anyone has a strong opinion (one way or the other), please voice an email to one or all members of the committee. Our emails are Dave (spdmonkey@aol.com), Richard (richard@ruckracing.com), Dayle (frameh@msu.edu), and me (jcabe@belcan.com). Driver input will be the basis for what the committee does for tires for the 2012 SM season. My vote (as a driver) is to keep SM tires open for regional events in the GLD.

You have my proxy to stay open.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Motor City Hamilton

Motor City Hamilton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
How do you guys feel about the Hoosier A6 vs. the Hoosier SM6? It will cost you about $275 more for a set of four A6 tires. A6 are faster, but last about half as long. I would like to see the region ban the A6 for Spec Miata.

AJ Roderick

AJ Roderick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:Neohio
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:56

How do you guys feel about the Hoosier A6 vs. the Hoosier SM6? It will cost you about $275 more for a set of four A6 tires. A6 are faster, but last about half as long. I would like to see the region ban the A6 for Spec Miata.

If someone honestly wants to spend another 275 for a REGIONAL race, then let them.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Number:88
+1 @ AJ
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
I see no reason to run the A6, all it does is increase the cost for all. If I had a vote, I would vote against, it just makes no sense in a spec class. The SM6 and Toyos are fun to drive, relatively fast and last a long time. More money and less time on a tire is a bad combination IMO.
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Motor City Hamilton

Motor City Hamilton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

I see no reason to run the A6, all it does is increase the cost for all. If I had a vote, I would vote against, it just makes no sense in a spec class. The SM6 and Toyos are fun to drive, relatively fast and last a long time. More money and less time on a tire is a bad combination IMO.
Jim

I agree. That's why I think it needs to be written into the Regional rules. I TQ'ed on A6 last Saturday and could hang with Rick. I spent $275 more on my tires, but am running a 4 year old crate motor vs. what I hear is a pro motor in Rick's car. This is the first season that I tested a set of A6s. A few of our front runners in the Great Lakes Region have been running A6 for the past 3 years. I'd like to see the autocross tire banned. They are faster with a much shorter life span. It we remain open tire, the A6 will be the fastest tire you can buy. Plus, can't run them at National events. Won't be able to enter the Regional/National weekends and run both.

Motor City Hamilton

Motor City Hamilton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

If someone honestly wants to spend another 275 for a REGIONAL race, then let them.

You say that yet how many pro motors do we have now in the region? What's in your car?

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
MC Hammer, It would be easier to list who doesn't have a pro motor. I don't see how that relates to the issue of open tires. There will always be those who spend to win (I know an unnamed individual who's spent enough at the dyno to BUY a dyno). I agree with AJ - If someone wants to spend $1000 on tires every 2 events to feel all warm and gooey from winning a $4 trophy and/or be the 2012 Attendance Queen (MB) - let'em.

What happens when another tire manufacturer comes along with a faster tire. Are you going to ban that one too?

Open means open, or more specifically any DOT approved tire.

Edit: Let me get this straight, you can run the A6, but we can't? :P

P.S. I would like to save everyone from the temptation to buy A6s, so whenever you get the urge, send that extra $275 to me - it's the least I can do.

P.S.S. Didn't all motors come in a crate?

AJ Roderick

AJ Roderick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:Neohio
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:56

You say that yet how many pro motors do we have now in the region? What's in your car?

Not sure what pro motors have to do with a tire rule here. I am running the motor that came in the car when we bought it from Planet Miata. I am considerably down on horsepower compared to most of the 99's. But thats besides the point.

Like Denny says, if someone wants to spend $1000 for a fast set of tires for a REGIONAL event, then they can be my guest. I think the concern about the A6 is a bit overkill.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30
So you'd be in favor of allowing LS3 conversions too? After all, it's just a matter of spending more money for more speed. If you believe in that method of winning races, why restrict it at all?

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Jim B, Ah, the old LS3 argument - kind of a broken record, ain't it? :rolleyes:

I was just messin with Keith, but in all honesty I don't see this as any different than a guy that can afford a new set of tires each weekend, whereas, if I'm lucky, I might be able to buy two sets to last my entire season. Don't kid yourself brother, it happens all the time. :lol:

Do we then institute a tire rule that allows only so many sets per year?

Motor City Hamilton

Motor City Hamilton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Like Denny says, if someone wants to spend $1000 for a fast set of tires for a REGIONAL event, then they can be my guest. I think the concern about the A6 is a bit overkill.

Denny is the first to complain about rising costs in the class yet wants to hold fast to the region's open tire rule. Just pointing out one area that could be written into the rules that would keep costs down. I tried a set of A6 this summer because I have seen other front runners using them in our region over the past couple of years. If the A6 are legal, people will run them at regionals.

I brought up the motor thing just as a comparison. You guys mentioned someone spending big bucks on dyno time. I have raced against about six or so front runners this year who spent the money on pro motors. Just trying to limit some of the areas we could be spending money on.

There is a difference between racing and participating. Last time I checked, they still keep score at regionals and declare a winnner. Just add tires to the pile of things that will allow the biggest checkbook to win.

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I'm maybe 3rd or 4th to complain. Open tires have work in GreatLakes for the past 5 years without any issue. I believe most of us 'run for fun' at the regional level. As they say, the genie has been out of the bottle for years.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Number:41

As they say, the genie has been out of the bottle for years.

Have you seen this genie? Is she good lookin? Can she drive? Is she (ahem) fast?

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Number:30
I don't have an oar in this water, but just curious -- if it costs less and makes fields more even, why not put the genie in the bottle?

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
What specifically costs less and makes the field more even?

Tires?

Look, nothing beats fresh tires. As I said above, my budget allows 1 or 2 set per year. There will always be those who are willing to buy a new set each weekend. How do you stop that?

IMHO, GreatLakes regionals are pretty laid-back, the big money crowd mostly lives and races somewhere else. Why speculate on problems that haven't existed.

Now, where can I get a deal on A6s.

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

I tried a set of A6 this summer because I have seen other front runners using them in our region over the past couple of years. If the A6 are legal, people will run them at regionals.

Keith:
I run RA1's and or SM6's. I won saturday on a set of 14 cycle SM6's and ran second Sunday in the rain on a two cycle set of 3/32" RA1's.

As for running A6's (yours aside) I've never seen a regional SM racer at the pointy end (at Mid Ohio) run them. Not saying it isn't done, I've just never seen a set run there. BTW, I'm okay with that ability becauase if the A6 was consistently faster, I suspect we'd all have a set on the rack!
Rick

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year