dp35

dp35

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Region:SF
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:51
Several people mentioned this at or after last weekend's epic SCCA SMT regional at Infineon, and it was also stirred up by the tire debate. Since it seems the Runoffs will be held on the East Coast forever, and most of us will never get to race it, we need a West Coast Championship race. If there was such an event, I'm sure that we would have the same drivers as last weekend, along with another handful of potential winners. Personally, I'm on a limited racing schedule this year, but if there was a West Coast Championship event, it would be at the top of my list.

It doesn't seem like it would take much, just a race that's not part of our regional championship. It could be held at different tracks each year, Nor Cal, Oregon, So Cal, maybe even at Miller.

Is it just our class that's ripe for this sort of event, and other classes wouldn't get enough entries for it to make financial sense? Is that why this race doesn't exist? Is it because the SCCA doesn't want to compete with the Runoffs? If so, that's a poor excuse. I haven't been doing this for very long, so maybe it's been tried & failed. Either way, I think I see an opportunity.

I'll send this to my board members.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91
Like this?

http://www.calclub.com/PCRRC.php
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03
Your region could always hold and promote a "big" race similar to what Atlanta region does for the ARRC. The ARRC has a lot of history though, and it may take a long time of growing pains before getting near the success it has. I think it just takes effort.

Before SM went national, there was the "Miata Cup" race at Road America. It was born from the hard work of a few that promoted the event and pounded the pavement for prize/contingency payouts.

It does take someone or some group to step up and make it happen though. But I bet it could be done if its wanted badly enough.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79
Milwauke Cup. That was a fun event!!

Pat

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Region:NorCal
Rob,

Just like that, only not scheduled on the same weekend as a double-points regional at Infineon for NorCal NASA.

I'll second what Darin said. I only do one or two spec miata races a year any more, and a West Coast Championship would DEFINITELY be one of them.

Cheers,

Dean

Former driver

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:88

Milwauke Cup. That was a fun event!!

+1
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
You'd probably want to con cal club into creating an SM only group, but we have the bargaining power to do so if we can deliver the numbers. In the event they have planned, it's an open invite so SM *might* not be the car to have in our class, although we probably have a massive driver skill advantage to make it up.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Phillip Holifield

Phillip Holifield

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:20
A West Coast Championship would be a huge draw. Our Oregon vs Nor Cal races have been some of the best races this year and we should make it an annual thing. Why not expand the Spec Miata Festival race and invite more drivers from out of region to compete?
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Number:30
Why not just get the Runoffs back out here? It's obviously difficult, but I doubt it's impossible.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
If you build it.. They will come :) If you had a west coast ARRC, I would attend. Many of us in SE would like to come out and run a different rack, take our beatings by the locals etc. :) OPM went west in 08, I wouldn't mind making another trip out there. I would like to to Laguna and Infineon before I hang it up.

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68
And the WAARC was born. Let's keep this moving. I'll make sure our BOD member and ORegon RRD get looped into the idea asap.

-bw

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:12
Schedule-wise, does it need to be post-Runoffs to attract back-east folks? (e.g., Jim?)

Scheduling is the most difficult part of it in general. This year we had a conflict with Rose Cup again I think and that's a big race... we just don't have a lot of choice with track dates.
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FlaggerMark

FlaggerMark

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
As Rob mentioned above, we in Southern California are resurrecting the Pacific Coast Road Racing Championships with the "intent" of having a "West Coast Runoffs" type event... The only difference is that we are opening the event up to everyone, both NASA, SCCA, and anyone else with a Competition License. The Goal of the event is to give us out here on the West Coast an opportunity to race in a "Championship" caliber event... very similar to what you are all suggesting.

Unfortunately, it appers our first attempt has a conflict with a NASA event Infineon, but we had to start somewhere.

FlaggerMark
B)

Schedule-wise, does it need to be post-Runoffs to attract back-east folks? (e.g., Jim?)

Scheduling is the most difficult part of it in general. This year we had a conflict with Rose Cup again I think and that's a big race... we just don't have a lot of choice with track dates.

dp35

dp35

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Region:SF
  • Car Number:51
Flagger Mark - was the PCRRC set up with the cooperation of the other West Coast regions?  It seems like that would be ideal, so that in the future it could be held at various tracks, and to coordinate schedules. 

The way it's currently setup, I was turned off by what seems like questionable tech inspection, which could be an open invitation to cheaters. Also, Rob's comment above about "SM might not be the car to have in our class" is confusing to me. Otherwise, the PCRRC seems like a good idea. 

I am imagining the "normal" SM & other SCCA classes (or maybe NASA), with the rules strictly enforced.  Nobody wants to tow a long way only to be disappointed by tech or some other organizational flub (2011 June Sprints).
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

FlaggerMark

FlaggerMark

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
Appreciate your concerns.

When you invite participants from many "different" sanctioning bodies, it makes monitoring/enforcing the tech requirements of each organization a monsterous task. For a "first shot" attempt at organizing and conducting an event with the differences participating, we are planning on relying on peer pressure to ensure compliance to the sanctioning bodies technical rules for the entry. As a participant, if you feel a car is not within the rules documented for the sanctioning body with which it runs, then you file a "protest" with the specific violation you are implying is out of tolerance identified. The Tech Team will then evaluate the concern and make a ruling.

Understand that "peer pressure" may be a wild dream, but we had to start somewhere. One of the objectives is to take some of the "complexity" many experience with the ways many of the sanctioning bodies do buisness, put some of the resonsiblitlies back on the racers, and ultimately provide an event that is "fun" and free of some of the issues many ultimately complain about in forums like this. I realize it's just words, but cheaters are not welcomed, but identifying cheaters that choose to participate will be put back on the paticipating entrants.

As for working with the other Regions, because this is NOT and SCCA event, and includes all Sanctioning Bodies (different from the original PCRRC which was an SCCA only event on the West Coast), the plan was to understand the level of interest and participation. If this looks like a positive event for the West Coast (combining SCCA/NASA/VARA/HSR/POC/BMW/etc...) then it is likely that the event would begin to move up and down the Coast.

FlaggerMark
B)

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
Sounds like a good idea on the "whole", but for SM specifically it could end up in a cocked hat. Our racing is much closer than almost any other class, so the specific rule set matters more than in other classes. For instance, next year, tires will come to mind, if NASA stays with Toyo and SCCA uses Hoosier -- the SCCA cars will have a built-in advantage. The other risk is that with a pot-load of other sanctioning bodies included, SM may not end up in its own class.

For many classes this "heaping" of different types of cars may work out just fine, but for SM it seems like a recipe for a "who cares" kind of event.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88
How about the 99 with SCCA with 41mm RP and NASA with 37mm but different weights, equal?
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
I'm a 1.6 guy, Johnny, so I wouldn't even try to handicap that combo. But just the fact that you're jockeying several different variables seems to make it likely to come out uneven for somebody. Unlike the handicapping that SCCA (and presumably NASA) does between 1.6/1.8/99, these values would be completely untested.

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
Like I said earlier, we have enough bargaining power to get our own race group appended to this event if we can deliver. We can also agree on a spec tire. Right now it would be open tire if you show up in an scca regional car.

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
Also, theoretically, 99 scca and 99 nasa should be equal-ish, there's just lots of opinions otherwise!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users