Ernie Jr.

Ernie Jr.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:2012
  • Car Number:98
Just turning 13 and got a copper SM. Can't wait to start racing in March at nasa's florida region.

Ernie Francis Jr.
www.ErnieFrancisJrRacing.com
Pirelli World Challenge TCB/GTS Driver

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
  • Car Year:1999

Just turned 13 and got a copper SM. Can't wait to start racing in Febuary or March in SCCA and NASA Florida regions. Used to race go karts so they will let me race. B)

Say what...13?...oh heaven help us! Just kidding, kid....if a sanctioning body will let you race with the grownups at 13...(I think I am going to bite my tongue here).
Good luck!
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Nick Arenella

Nick Arenella

• SMembers
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Rio Grande
  • Car Year:1991
Awesome dude. My kid's a year younger than you, but my first time on a track was in March. I'm sure you can kick my butt. Have fun, and be safe.

Nick

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
Hmmmm, profile says 12, 13th birthday next month. SCCA has a hard limit of 15 years old. NASA has a wavier system and I don't see national giving a jr karter a novice license. In jr kart classes it tops out at 15-20 hp. Usually the racers that are waivered in are 15 or so from the sr kart clases. When a kid can win a championship in TaG Sr or a shifter class at either the FL Winter Tour or the SKUSA national tour or even national Sr Rotax they're ready for cars. They don't let you race a Legends until you're 12. You got a few more years in karts or Legends or quarter midgets. Color me skeptical...

Dave

Jim Daniels - FIG

Jim Daniels - FIG

Site Founder

• Administrators
  • 274 posts
  • Region:Mid-South
  • Car Year:1989
  • Car Number:Any
You guys read up on your history. In NASA 13 can race and are. We worked on that about 4 years ago with Bobby Boulieu being the first. Tyler Vance was not far behind. Later, SCCA followed with the 15 (following NASA, humm.....).

http://forum.specmia...3956;p=0#000000

"Never Stop Challenging"

Jim Daniels

Auto Sports Consulting / Coaching

My cup runneth over - Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champ Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda  - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Grand-Am Competitor - Grand-Am Competitor in a Mazda  (can be GT, and ST)

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
In NASA 13 year olds are pretty rare. Most of them are around 15 or so. This kid though has some holes in his story. Profile says 12, not 13 yet but the post says just turned 13. Says he's going to race SCCA. Unless they change the rules that ain't gonna happen. I'm all for young kids going up but his one seems doesn't add up.

TheFence

TheFence

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Number:8
Just wait until you can get a drivers license. You will have more respect, take the time until then and build a car that is well prepared. My $.02

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Number:88
Makes the bicycle I got for my 13th birthday look like a booger.

[Personal opinion alert] Wait??? Wait for what? 'Someday' usually translates as 'never'.
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

Just turned 13 and got a copper SM. Can't wait to start racing in Febuary or March in SCCA and NASA Florida regions. Used to race go karts so they will let me race. B)

Thirteen? Holy crap, I've got shoes older that that! Seriously, I wish I'd had the means to race something bigger than carts at such an early age. Good luck to you young man ... just as long as you're not staged in grid with me!
Rick

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year
Powered by: Stewart Engines
Set up by: RAFT Motorsports

SM: The safest race car in the world. It can just
barely kill you.

Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Josh Chaney

Josh Chaney

JC-MX5

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Car Number:33

I have a feeling that I know which car you bought. There was a copper one online for a while.

Welcome aboard! Wherever you get some seat time, good luck! I wish I had parents that supported my aspirations! lol
  • Ernie Jr. and like this
- Team Fail Motorsports: Failing Hardcore Since 2009 -

Ernie Jr.

Ernie Jr.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Got it in Pompano Beach, Florida. And to those doubters of me racing i raced mini max for 6 years and NASA let me start and they gave me a liscence. But to get that i had to make a list of all my past racing events and top finishes i got. My fist event is March 12-13 at Homestead in HPDE 1.

Ernie Francis Jr.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Ernie Jr.

Ernie Jr.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

In NASA 13 year olds are pretty rare. Most of them are around 15 or so. This kid though has some holes in his story. Profile says 12, not 13 yet but the post says just turned 13. Says he's going to race SCCA. Unless they change the rules that ain't gonna happen. I'm all for young kids going up but his one seems doesn't add up.

Probably not scca but nasa just confirmed my first event march 12-13 2011 and i just turned 13 january 23 i got my safty equiptment such as hans helmet sfi suit sfi gloves and shoes

Ernie Francis Jr.

Ernie Jr.

Ernie Jr.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

You guys read up on your history. In NASA 13 can race and are. We worked on that about 4 years ago with Bobby Boulieu being the first. Tyler Vance was not far behind. Later, SCCA followed with the 15 (following NASA, humm.....).

http://forum.specmia...3956;p=0#000000

Thanks for sticking up with my story. I was pushed to do this when i went to my dads race in homestead ( he races a corvette zo6 gt2 race car) i saw my old go karting buddy in a green spec miata he won that race and beat john adamcheck correct my spelling and he was only 13. So i talked to the head nasa workers and said if i have a good amount of victorys and events i can race.

Ernie Francis Jr.

Mtaylor

Mtaylor

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:97
It does sound a little crazy but, Nasa makes the kids go thru hpde 1 thru 4 just like everybody else. I run in Florida NASA SM and it is not easy to get thru hpde 4, It could take two years of track days for most. Now we have a 15 year old currently running with us who is a former carting champ. He made the 1-4, then got a chance to run in a race to see if he could do it. Well he is always in the top 5,and won a mazda teen ladder event, maybe even a spot ( NOT SURE). So you can doubt these kids can drive until one passes you. These kids had shifter kart when we schwinns with banana seats.

Welcome to Nasa Florida, our crew is very welcoming to new sm drivers and you will find a lot of help and direction.

Mitch :D
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
HPDE is not racing. At 13 I'd either stay in karts or Legends (and kick ass) until 15-16 so you can race. If you are serious about racing going from racing karts to DE for a year or two is a step backwards. NASCAR will issue a provisional Charger license that will let you run Division 4 classes at 14 with little experience that will let you race and ASA will issue a provisional license at 14. I've seen a lot of kids come up over the years, Speed and Almendinger among them and I've never seen anyone go to cars to do DE. But have fun, it's cool to see your parents have the means to support you. You're fortunate to have that.

Mtaylor

Mtaylor

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts
We all know Hpde is not racing, but were can a starter get track time, instruction and get familar with his car, being on real race track for the cost of hpde. Many smer started in Hpde and NASA program is a good learning tool, short of going into a junior seriers ( which are not cheap) . As I said, we have a kid who went thru the program who will be a top star in the coming years.

Ernie Jr.

Ernie Jr.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

It does sound a little crazy but, Nasa makes the kids go thru hpde 1 thru 4 just like everybody else. I run in Florida NASA SM and it is not easy to get thru hpde 4, It could take two years of track days for most. Now we have a 15 year old currently running with us who is a former carting champ. He made the 1-4, then got a chance to run in a race to see if he could do it. Well he is always in the top 5,and won a mazda teen ladder event, maybe even a spot ( NOT SURE). So you can doubt these kids can drive until one passes you. These kids had shifter kart when we schwinns with banana seats.

Welcome to Nasa Florida, our crew is very welcoming to new sm drivers and you will find a lot of help and direction.

Mitch :D

Is the 15 year olds name micheal litares because i used to race gokarting with him he was in rotax jr. and i was in mini max.

Ernie Francis Jr.

Mtaylor

Mtaylor

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts
Yes, it is Mike, and he is doing really well in our seriers, I recall his first race was quite interesting.

I guess your dad is Ernie from BBP. Good guy, as a owner of 08 LS3 Vette I appreciate the stuff your dad brings to the events.

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
I'm not out to harsh the brothers and sisters in DE. DE teaches you how to be The Stig. Racing teaches you how to be Ben Collins... :D

There will be another crop of fast teens coming up this year. SM is a great club series but I don't see too many coming up through the pro ranks via SM. Probably has more to do with visibility than anything. Thanks to one Anton Hulman George many opportunities for young'uns to road race have been replaced with future Ricky Bobbys. Hopefully folks like the Nard Dawg and Mazda can help turn that around.

Ernie Jr.

Ernie Jr.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Yes, it is Mike, and he is doing really well in our seriers, I recall his first race was quite interesting.

I guess your dad is Ernie from BBP. Good guy, as a owner of 08 LS3 Vette I appreciate the stuff your dad brings to the events.

Yes my dad is ernie and he has the yellow zo6 racecar. My dad just tested my miata in december in a race.

Ernie Francis Jr.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users