FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
I had a fantastic time this weekend and had a chance to meet several of the folks who i have talked to for months on this forum and have never put a face to the name. It was a safe clean weekend with lots of good racing. For a race that was for no points I would say people were racing pretty hard.

Congrats to Jet, Daniel and Larry for the podium finishes on the feature race.

Lots of close racing, perfect weather.

This is a short clip of the first race on Sunday where I just missed Keith's front end after a spin.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:88
Holy Crap that was close.

Great to finally meet you Frank. Nice runs this weekend.

I know I can count on brutal honesty from this crowd. So y'all make the call:

As an added bonus here's my in-car of MC Hamilton getting turned in T1 on lap 1 of race 2. Unfortunately it does show much to drivers left:

Other than having a 30 second race 3 it was a great weekend.

-Denny
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
Denny I was nice meeting you as well. Its hard for me to see the line taken in that vid.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
I Want to say HUGE CONGRATS TO JET HAWTHORNE my very close friend and team mate! For not ONE not TWO but THREE big wins in a very tight field of SM's!!!!! All the top 10 sm's were in the 143's thats how competitve this field was! It took 2 seasons of SM racing but this just shows that you can teach an old dog new tricks!!!!! He drove 3 flawless races!!!!!!!!!!! Hats off to you Jet!

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Mr. Magoo

Mr. Magoo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:61

I Want to say HUGE CONGRATS TO JET HAWTHORNE my very close friend and team mate! For not ONE not TWO but THREE big wins in a very tight field of SM's!!!!! All the top 10 SM's were in the 143's that's how competitive this field was! It took 2 seasons of SM racing but this just shows that you can teach an old dog new tricks!!!!! He drove 3 flawless races!!!!!!!!!!! Hats off to you Jet!

Thanks, Kyle. I would like to point out that Daniel Ruggiero put a clean pass on me and then I went too hot into Madness and pushed him sideways to get by. He graciously accepted my apology. Thanks you for setting up my car in your shop perfectly, it was awesome out of the trailer, it would almost take turn 1 flatout, Yahoo! I might have gone through turn 1 as fast as John Guthrie :) Thanks for fixing the super kink in my fuel line Sun, that seemed to give me more top end power. Also Brian Murdick caught me twice and Charles Boehly passed me twice, plus Larry Webster caught me late in the race but then Daniel passed him to finish a close 2nd. Once again I apologize to Daniel for going to hot into Madness and pushing you sideways.
Jet
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

Thanks, Kyle. I would like to point out that Daniel Ruggiero put a clean pass on me and then I went too hot into Madness and pushed him sideways to get by. He graciously accepted my apology. Thanks you for setting up my car in your shop perfectly, it was awesome out of the trailer, it would almost take turn 1 flatout, Yahoo! I might have gone through turn 1 as fast as John Guthrie :) Thanks for fixing the super kink in my fuel line Sun, that seemed to give me more top end power. Also Brian Murdick caught me twice and Charles Boehly passed me twice, plus Larry Webster caught me late in the race but then Daniel passed him to finish a close 2nd. Once again I apologize to Daniel for going to hot into Madness and pushing you sideways.
Jet

"Mr. Magoo", perfect Name Jet. Good job driving this weekend.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Motor City Hamilton

Motor City Hamilton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Region:Detroit
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:51
I don't have the same warm fuzzies about this weekend as Frank and some of the others do. I saw a ton of chopping, hacking, metal to metal contact, etc. I know that I put myself back there with my spin from 5th in Moser's engine pee in the Sunday morning qualifier race, but I saw a ton of nasty stuff the whole day. If I have time this week, I'll cut together some of the video.

I really have to think twice about racing this event next year if we can't do the split grid that we all voted for. Many of the issues that I saw were caused by the mismatch between ITA cars and Miatas. With the speed of the ITA cars down the straights combined with better cornering ability by the Miata drivers, if a Miata wanted past, it had to be done in a risky area.

downingracing

downingracing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:42

I don't have the same warm fuzzies about this weekend as Frank and some of the others do. I saw a ton of chopping, hacking, metal to metal contact, etc. I know that I put myself back there with my spin from 5th in Moser's engine pee in the Sunday morning qualifier race, but I saw a ton of nasty stuff the whole day. If I have time this week, I'll cut together some of the video.

I really have to think twice about racing this event next year if we can't do the split grid that we all voted for. Many of the issues that I saw were caused by the mismatch between ITA cars and Miatas. With the speed of the ITA cars down the straights combined with better cornering ability by the Miata drivers, if a Miata wanted past, it had to be done in a risky area.

It was nice meeting you this weekend! I'd like to see the video you have from 'back there' of the bumping and banging. From my seat, I had the most fun I've ever had running with SM! We all seemed to work well together (ITA and SM) and for the most part stayed out of each others way. I worked extra hard to stay out of the way while keeping the gap to the ITA car chasing me. When I was the one doing the chasing - I tried very hard to clear SMs and not cause too much slow-down in the process. I would even bump draft miatas down the straight to allow them to pull away in the turns so we wouldn't be in each others way. I also would lift early to get a few around me so they could battle with the other SMs around.

I thought it was a great weekend of racing - THANK YOU to all the SM drivers who came out! You helped make this event a huge success!!!!!

Matt Downing
ITA #14 (Red/Black Honda)

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

Kieth It was nice to finally meet you. I know you had some bad situational luck this weekend.

The split no split start was a bit controversial, I understand the concept that for this event they were going to give our awards for the overall finishers which would put that second split of the split start out of contention, led the discussion away from the vote of the split start. However as a practical matter since they were going to start the IT group up front and there were at least 5 IT cars faster than any SM car, it was unlikely that an SM was going to finish on the podium over all anyway.

You and I were caught battling an IT car most of the last race I wonder how that would have turned out if we did have the split. Seams to me we should not be working that hard with an out of class car when we are not in contention for the overall podium finish.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

It was nice meeting you this weekend! I'd like to see the video you have from 'back there' of the bumping and banging. From my seat, I had the most fun I've ever had running with SM! We all seemed to work well together (ITA and SM) and for the most part stayed out of each others way. I worked extra hard to stay out of the way while keeping the gap to the ITA car chasing me. When I was the one doing the chasing - I tried very hard to clear SMs and not cause too much slow-down in the process. I would even bump draft miatas down the straight to allow them to pull away in the turns so we wouldn't be in each others way. I also would lift early to get a few around me so they could battle with the other SMs around.

I thought it was a great weekend of racing - THANK YOU to all the SM drivers who came out! You helped make this event a huge success!!!!!

Matt Downing
ITA #14 (Red/Black Honda)

From my perspective, the IT and SM mix worked out just fine. That said I would still have liked to see a split start all IT cars starting behind the SM or Vice-a-versa. The only IT car I ever had any trouble passing was a well driven Saturn. I went toe to toe with him for at least 3 maybe 4 laps before finally gettign by. He never blocked me once but it is very hard to pass as Mid Ohio as we all know so there was limited places that I could take advantage of my cars handling to keep his HP advantage from working for him. Had a great talk with him after the race and he felt I raced him clean, and I felt he returned the favor! We were door to door in the Keyhole every single lap and I think we touched slightly once not even enough to leave a mark on either car!

To me the scariest thing about racing with the IT guys is that they have built motors, and well... built motors tend to let go and dump oil everywhere all over the track as happened in race 1. As SM drivers that is somethgin we rarely have to deal with unless you race NASA where they just let about any OLD SHIT BOX out ont he track with you.

Hamilton, you made a very classy jesture IMO as I came from the back to p4 in SM as I pulled up beside you coming out of the carousel you seemed to lift a tiny bit and gesture your approval of my pass. I appreciated that, someday I will give you the same courtesy, when you are clearly driving it faster than I am.

All in all not the result I wanted for myself but again I am overjoyed for my little buddy Mr Magoo!

K. Webb