Jerry Cabe

Jerry Cabe

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Region:Cincy Region SCCA
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:10 SM
I'm starting this topic in response to Frank Todaro's question concerning Hoosier contengency in the Great Lakes Division on the general Spec Miata Forum.

"Jerry while we are talking Tires, what are the reasons that GLD cannot negotiate a tire contingency deal with Hoosier so that if we would win or podium in regional events with Hoosier we could get tires, like they do in NASA. I friend of mine runs I think GTS in Nasa and often there are only 4 or 5 competitors in his class and he often wins Hoosier tires.

It would make more people run them in a region that has open tire if they would give a few away."

Good question Frank. Maybe you are not aware that Hoosier currently has a strong SCCA Contengency Program, but only for National racers (I said it before Denny has a chance :soapbox: ). At each National race, 1st Place receives 2 tires, 2nd place 1 tire in each SCCA National class in which Hoosiers are allowed. There are silly requirements that you have to be running Hoosier tires and the like in order to qualify.

And as part of being the spec tire for SM, Hoosier will be giving away 750 tires each year, and will have track-side support at each event; again for the National drivers and events.

The NASA contengency program appears to be similiar to the SCCA national program. But that is my observation from reading the program with little actual data. Spec Miata was not included, but that probably was because of the spec tire (same as in SCCA National).

I have heard in the past that SCCA National Office did not want individual regions or divisions negotiating contengency deals that might interfer with their negotiations, but I have seen several in place that look like they would violate this if it is true.

In the GLD, Hoosier has been a strong supporter of Cincy Region's IT/SPEC*tacular with tires for 1st and 2nd place regional drivers in the past; but with tighter budgets, their support has had to decrease the past couple of years.

And let's not forget that at almost every regional and national event held in the GLD for the past several years, there has been a Hoosier team there providing track-site support to the racers. :thumbsup: They will do anything they can to keep a racer on track. They even carried a few RA-1's in case someone needed them (at least up until this past year). I never saw the Toyo truck at our events!

My rambling does not really answer your question. I'll talk with my contacts at Hoosier and see if there is anything that might be possible. But there is a fair amount of effort required to administer a contengency program.

Jerry Cabe
2014 Cincy Region Race Chair

"Just driving SM until the F1 is ready - Well the F-1 car is ready, but I'm not."

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Number:88
One of my frequent rants, I know, but the regional racers support the Divisions as much, or more, than the national racers. I believe GLDiv regional entry numbers have been a lot higher in recent years, yet we are the forgotten members of the club.

Not sure why that is.

-Denny
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Jerry Cabe

Jerry Cabe

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
I failed to add that Hoosier does support the SCCA Regional racers at the ARRC at Road Atlanta in November. The ARRC is touted as the Runoffs for the Regional Classes (however this year they are allowing some national classes like SM, and Runoffs competitors to participate). For the 22 classes, they provide 4 tires for 1st, 2 for 2nd, and 1 for 3rd. If you just do some quick math - 22 classes with a potential of 7 tires awarded, times a guess at an average cost of $200 per tire, is more than $30,000 at that one big event.

Jerry Cabe

"Just driving SM until the F1 is ready - Well the F-1 car is ready, but I'm not."

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jerry Cabe

Jerry Cabe

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

One of my frequent rants, I know, but the regional racers support the Divisions as much, or more, than the national racers. I believe GLDiv regional entry numbers have been a lot higher in recent years, yet we are the forgotten members of the club.

Not sure why that is.

-Denny

Not discounting the in-equality of the contengency awards for national and regional drivers, but as regional racers, we can benefit from the Spec Tire deal in SM. The $166 price for the SM6, vs. the $211 price for the same size R6 helps my budget. I've been benefiting from this type of pricing for the last 5 years because Hoosier already priced the SM6 to be competitive with the Toyo Spec Tire price. Add in the lack of having to pay to shave the tires, and in most cases they were delivered to the track saving me shipping. All of these reductions were futher compounded by reducing the sales tax I pay. :twocents:

Jerry Cabe

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

The ARRC is touted as the Runoffs for the Regional Classes (however this year they are allowing some national classes like SM, and Runoffs competitors to participate).

Yet another instance of regional drivers getting the shaft - we can't even have our own championship event without national drivers horning in. Time to drop the "Regional Runoffs" moniker :spin:

PS: I was paying $145 for shaved Toyo, so I'm not sure how much "benefit" I'm receiving from the tire deal. In fact I could buy the SM6 for the same price prior to "the deal".

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
Jerry thanks for addressing this and will await what you find out. I agree on one of Denny's points, the GLD champ series is a pretty big deal with the number of events we run and then number of SM's we are fielding lately. I would think now that Hoosier is going to be the spec tire for SM that this would add incentive for Hoosier to prime the pump since they will have a shot at several more customers. Point is we are all going to be buying more Hoosiers this coming year and I would hope that they would view a regional contingency as good for business.

Keep us posted.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jerry Cabe

Jerry Cabe

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Yet another instance of regional drivers getting the shaft - we can't even have our own championship event without national drivers horning in. Time to drop the "Regional Runoffs" moniker :spin:

Boy, you turned that one around about as fast as you went around in Sunday's race.

Jerry Cabe

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Jerry, I don't know what hurt more, the 30 second main event, bending my car, or the reaming I received when I tried to apologize to the other driver. :blink:

SCCA's focus only on nationals has been a pet peeve of mine ever since SportsCar stopped publishing the regional results. I'm tellin ya, no respect!

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
I am not sure that tire contingencies help very many of the clubs racers. It seems there are about 5 guys in the region that rotate through the podium p1 through p3 so its not exactly like the everyday budget racer will ever see anything in the way of tire bucks. Now Mr. Deerwester I am sure would like to see a regional tire contingency deal! :twocents:

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

I am not sure that tire contingencies help very many of the clubs racers. It seems there are about 5 guys in the region that rotate through the podium p1 through p3 so its not exactly like the everyday budget racer will ever see anything in the way of tire bucks. Now Mr. Deerwester I am sure would like to see a regional tire contingency deal! :twocents:

Kyle:
Not surprisingly, I do favor Denny's position! :)

Having said that my gut feeling is that the SCCA leadership isn't paying sufficient attention to the "customer" (or its' NASA competition). Regional racers represent the bulk of race entries and buy a majority of the tires but get nada. If I were king of such decisions, I'd reduce the National contingency support by 33% and toss the regional classes a bone ... Perhaps one fifth of the national award.

As an active regional racer, I suspect I buy as many (or more) tires as most national racers, but get zero support. That doesn't give me warm and fuzzies (but I'll live)
Rick

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year
Powered by: Stewart Engines
Set up by: RAFT Motorsports

SM: The safest race car in the world. It can just
barely kill you.

Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Kyle:
Not surprisingly, I do favor Denny's position! :)

Having said that my gut feeling is that the SCCA leadership isn't paying sufficient attention to the "customer" (or its' NASA competition). Regional racers represent the bulk of race entries and buy a majority of the tires but get nada. If I were king of such decisions, I'd reduce the National contingency support by 33% and toss the regional classes a bone ... Perhaps one fifth of the national award.

As an active regional racer, I suspect I buy as many (or more) tires as most national racers, but get zero support. That doesn't give me warm and fuzzies (but I'll live)
Rick

I am also in favor of having the regional contingency, I was simply making thhe point that only very few will ever collect, and well... Denny is always talking about budget racer this and budget racer that. Well if there are no contingency for tires it somewhat levels the playing field for him, we all pay the same for tires, because I have a pro motor, data aq, scales and allignment eq., a full time mechanic on staff, coaching, and more things I could list but I am sure you get the point, does not give me an advantage to win free tires, I have to pay just like everyone else does! If there was scca regional contigency I would have gotten more than two full sets of free tires this year. That would be just another advantage I could list over the budget guy.

So I get what the scca's position is on this! That's why I don't complain when I would be one of those collecting on tires! I would think the scca powers that be are thinking along those lines as well but who knows maybe I am wrong.

I am always happy to help the budget races and have helped quite a few with data, setup, some coaching, parts from time to time etc, etc, mostly people who are hungry to improve go searching, some of the unlucky ones have searched and found me and ask for help which I have enjoyed giving. Time will tell how much help I was really able to give them.

K. Webb