6 replies to this topic

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL
All of the GT5 and Forza 4 demos at Petit Le Mans have me thinking that I really ought to get one of these systems to play one of these sims. In the past, I'd thought about rfactor and iracing, but my computer can't handle them. My computer is an old POS (7 year old, single core). So, whatever I do, it will require an investment.

My goals are to be able to race low hp cars like SM's and to have VIR and Road Atlanta on them. Otherwise I'm open to suggestions.

JRHille

JRHille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:48
iracing is the way to go. You will need to make a computer and wheel investment, along with 8 dollars a month. Plus additional tracks you may want (midohio, vir, road atlanta). The crowd youll find on there are many racers or ex.racers, and will teach you a lot. Closest to real life you can get.

1999 Spec Miata
Hilltrux - Roush - V2 Motorsports - ESR

BFG Supertour Winner - SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
iRacing is definately the way to go for wheel-2-wheel. No question its the best out there for closed circuit racing simulation.

But....I have rfactor too, because only a one of our local tracks (TMS) is available on iracing...the rest (MSRC, ECR, MRSH, Hallett, TWS, etc) aren't. So, I use rFactor for learning the layout of these other local tracks. rFactor is pretty dated, though...and, isn't anywhere near as good as iRacing, but it suffices as a track map from an in-car point-of-view. For that purpose specifically, it was worth the $20.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Elliott Skeer

Elliott Skeer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Region:Nor/So Cal
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:17
If you want true racing, nothing beats iRacing, but be willing to drop $300+ on just software alone, and possibly more if your PC needs some parts.

rFactor is great for offline fun! has basically every car and every track you can think of. go to rfactorcentral.com for all the mods available, and all are free! :D

Forza 4 I think is better then GT5 in terms of fun, but only xbox wheels will work for it. :censored:

GT5 is an amazing game to drive some awesome cars at some awesome tracks, and you can use the same wheel for PS3 and PC. :thumbsup:

But if you want TRUE realism, only iRacing will do. Gt5 is the next when it comes to low hp and good tracks, but doesn't have that many US tracks :(
"Punk Ass Kid" -Track HQ's top SM contributor.
Working to call myself a GT driver.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL
Now that's a consensus!! Time to start specing out a new computer. I have a Logitech Momo Force wheel.

If you want true racing, nothing beats iRacing, but be willing to drop $300+ on just software alone, and possibly more if your PC needs some parts.

What software will I need for the $300?

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
You don't have to buy it all at once. Its not really "software" per se, its add ons: cars and tracks. You get the full software to run the sim with your membership to iracing.com. That comes with a base set of cars and tracks which is plenty to wet your whistle, for a while. There's a thread on here somewhere that listed what you get for free. I'm too lazy to go look for it. Johnny D is the thread-search master....maybe he'll find it.
:cheers:

But, there are a lot of other cars and tracks available...each runs $12-$15 one time fee. There are quantity discounts, and specials run quite frequently. Plus, there is a 25% discount on add-ons if your purchase completes the set (you buy all tracks that you don't already own, etc). That's where the $300 comes from.

I buy content piecemeal...sometimes buying 3 tracks at a time...because there is a good price break at the 3-qty level. There are a lot of tracks, and I try to LEARN a track before moving on to another one. So, it might be cheaper, in total, to buy it all at once, but....I'd rather spend future dollars in the future, and save present dollars at this time.

PC:

lots of options, but some kind of Quad Core (I7+) based machine with 4-6GB+ memory, and a high-end graphics card Nvidia GTX5xx (or whatever the AMD equivalent is). If you are really serious and have cash burning a hole in your pocket (that you don't need to spend on the racecar)....a multiple monitor setup is highly beneficial. Mike Monagan is the guy to discuss that....I think Collin McClean also has a 3-headed setup.

The eye candy in iracing is amazing. The track details at the higher settings are stunning. They are not useless. There are details that can be used for reference points, etc.

So, having a horse that can render them at 60fps can make a difference.

You can build one from parts purchased at newegg pretty reasonably...if you have the courage (its not hard, but some people just don't have the stomach for it).

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mike Lliteras

Mike Lliteras

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
Iracing is the way to go, the others are just games. I took a 4 yr old computer, added a better power supply, graphics card and a little more memory. It works good, not great usually 50 to 60 fps. You can get a used computer for a couple hundred that will work fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users