During the year a lot has been posted about matters that materially affect the future of this class
- Age old parity discussion - 1.6 vs 94/97 vs 99 vs 01
- How SCCA's choice of Road America for Runoffs affects our class
- Cost of competing and how its going up
- Cheating at all levels in the class
- Lack of tech and how that encourages playing in the dark gray area (or outright cheating)
- Factors that discourage newcomers from joining our class and ultimately affecting its future
- and others
Bruce Anderson started a thread on his facebook profile that got a lot of well known individuals in our class posting their ideas, but I think it would be more productive to continue it here. This is his post that got the discussion going
I am starting to feel like a 1.6'er. I have way to little power, dynoed at 121hp. The horsepower race with the 99's (130+hp now) along with cost increases in engines (1-1.5k) is getting out of hand. It is a shame that SRF is dying as that seems like a better alternative. It is also crappy that the runoffs is at a horsepower track, not really in the spirit of why I drive an SM.
I almost would rather handicap all 1.8s and go back to a 1.6. Then again trading from a 13 year old car to a 22 year old car (most of which have seen years of track use already) does not make all that much sense either.
Someone needs to start the next big grassroots racing class ASAP.