Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
To all Spec Miata Competitors,
For the last several months, the SMAC team has been working diligently on further refining the Spec Miata restrictor plate and minimum weight specifications for each of the four key Miata groupings (‘89-‘93, ‘94-‘97, ‘99-‘00, ‘01-‘05). In doing so, highest priority was placed on reducing the large differences in weights between the cars, while also reducing the horsepower & torque differentials. The team believes that this strategy offers the greatest opportunity for achieving utmost parity for the wide range of tracks that the class races across the country.

The SMAC worked with John Mueller and Ryan Flaherty at NASA to get both bodies back on the same weight and plate rules, I think both organizations worked well together and put the needs of the class above all else. We are proud to announce both organizations will run the same weights and plates

The team relied on input from multiple sources of statistical data and drivers’ feedback from SCCA National & Regional, as well as NASA from a wide range of tracks from all regions. Furthermore, significant computer simulation work was performed, taking into account over 50 input factors including, but not limited to: full dyno runs from multiple dynos (not simply peak HP/Torque), weights, rev limiter points, differences in drag coefficients, weight affected rolling resistance, road grades (ie. hills), and much more.

While no scenario is perfect, it is clear that achieving parity for SM’s of all vintages is the best way to promote, grow and maintain the health the class for the future. The team strongly believes that the proposed weight and plate rules set will allow for the greatest opportunity for competitors in any vintage SM to compete for victories at any and all racetracks. As such, it is the intent of both the SMAC and CRB that these rules are implemented for 2012 and remain fixed for a period of three years, barring any unforeseen circumstances requiring major adjustment (ie. greater than 2mm plate or 50lbs). We are all looking forward to the most competitive racing ever in the 2012 season!

New restrictor plates will be available from SCCA enterprises on or before 12/15/11.

Sincerely,
Your Spec Miata Advisory Committee:
Mike Collins, Sam Henry, Dave McAnaney, Louis Thibaut, Dan Tiley

SCCA and NASA SM Restrictor Plates & Weights (Effective 1/1/2012)

Years Min. Weight Restrictor Plate
1990-93: 2300 None
1994-97 2350 45mm
1999-00 2400 38mm
2001-05 2400 40mm
  • john mueller, Glenn and Steve D like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
It was a pleasure to work with SMAC to get this done for the class. So, I give a huge personal thank you to Jim Drago, NASA & SMAC!

Last year NASA & I took a lot of heat for the decisions that were made AND we still had a great season of racing. We may not have been 100% perfect, but it demonstrated a different way of looking at parity. Moving forward, the 2012 plates & weights address areas in NASAs rules that I feel needed a tweak... The competition should be even closer now.

I can hardly wait for next season!

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
Awesome. Thanks!
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30
What numbers (hopefully both coefficients and areas) did you use for aero on the four groups?

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
Good job guys, Glad that I can put one set up on the car and not have to change it week after week. I too am excited about next year to see if this puts the 99 back in the mix. I am sure that you will find some who are not happy with either the giving or taking away but I applaud your efforts to work out a fair compromise on parity and to make the rules between the organizations the same.

This should give us something to talk about for awhile.
  • john mueller likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Number:26
So the SCCA change from 2011 to 2012 is:

SCCA SM Restrictor Plates & Weights (Effective 1/1/2012)

Years Min. Weight Restrictor Plate
1990-93: 2300 None Change from 2011...........+25lbs.
1994-97 2350 45mm Change from 2011..........-2mm and -15lbs
1999-00 2400 38mm Change from 2011..........-3mm and -50lbs
2001-05 2400 40mm Change from 2011..........-3mm and -50lbs
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
The NASA change from 2011 to 2012 is:

SCCA and NASA SM Restrictor Plates & Weights (Effective 1/1/2012)

Yrs: MinWeight / RP Change from 2011 NASA
90-93: 2300 / None .............. +15lbs.
94-97: 2350 / 45mm ............. +10lbs
99-00: 2400 / 38mm ............. +1mm & +10lbs
01-05: 2400 / 40mm ............. -1mm & +10lbs
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Number:26
Sorry about that John, I had tunnel vision. I was thinking this is going to be a bigger deal for those that didn't run with NASA last year.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Lee Tilton

Lee Tilton

I wanna go faster!

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Region:WDC - NASA Mid-Atl
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:04
Bravo guys!
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
Very unfair right before the holliday season! 1.6ers can go back for seconds and possibly thirds while the rest of the guys run on the treadmill for hours with a drum stick hanging there just out of our reach! Merry Christmas Mueller you Grinch :)

That's what I call parity!

K. Webb