Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM
Title says it all. While I've got the transmission out what else should I tackle while I'm in there (nothing inside the tranny though)?

Figure the throw-out bearing, check for play in the clutch fork, resurface the flywheel...

Anything else?

Thanks1
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Title says it all. While I've got the transmission out what else should I tackle while I'm in there (nothing inside the tranny though)?

Figure the throw-out bearing, check for play in the clutch fork, resurface the flywheel...

Anything else?

Thanks1

How many hours on the engine, rear main seal maybe?

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Scottie

Scottie

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Region:WDCR
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:19
rear main seal of the motor, front seal of the tranny too. You need to take off that cover that the input shaft comes out of to get to it. Also, change the pilot bearing. And make sure the weep hole in the bell housing is clear of any debris.
How do I fit this Ls7 into my mia.... nevermind

wreckerboy

wreckerboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Region:NJ
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:53
In addition to the seals as noted above, if you have a 1.6 this is a great, if not the best, time to replace the cooling system nipple on the back of the head because it is easily accessible. Also, consider upgrading to the newly allowed flexible hydraulic clutch line as well. When I do any service that requires the trans to be out of the car I have learned from hard experience to have a spare slave cylinder on hand, as the one in the car tends to get killed by errant transmissions being bench pressed back into said car...
Rob Myles | "I didn't lose, I got out-painted!"
Hero To The Momentum Challenged
WDCR SSM #30

Scottie

Scottie

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

In addition to the seals as noted above, if you have a 1.6 this is a great, if not the best, time to replace the cooling system nipple on the back of the head because it is easily accessible. Also, consider upgrading to the newly allowed flexible hydraulic clutch line as well. When I do any service that requires the trans to be out of the car I have learned from hard experience to have a spare slave cylinder on hand, as the one in the car tends to get killed by errant transmissions being bench pressed back into said car...

Ahhh good call Rob. I forgot about that rubber nipple. I left it in the bedroom. Oh crap.

But really, for the rubber nipple, BUY IT FROM MAZDA!!! Ask me how I know. Trust me, the mazda one is the correct thickness and is excellent quality. And once it is on there and the trans is back it, good luck getting to it. I can, but it's very difficult.

wreckerboy

wreckerboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Region:NJ
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:53

Ahhh good call Rob. I forgot about that rubber nipple. I left it in the bedroom. Oh crap.

Scott, this is SM we're racing here, not S & M racing. Though that would explain the black leather harness you've got installed in the car...
Rob Myles | "I didn't lose, I got out-painted!"
Hero To The Momentum Challenged
WDCR SSM #30

Scottie

Scottie

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Scott, this is SM we're racing here, not S & M racing. Though that would explain the black leather harness you've got installed in the car...

Ohhh it all makes sense now. And I thought I was looking at the wrong GCR the whole time.

Cy Peake

Cy Peake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:7
Pilot bearing too.

-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing