joeg5982

joeg5982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Region:wny-scca
  • Car Year:1982
  • Car Number:15
Poor maintenace is an understatement measured by those engine pics...Yikes!!

Looks like very few oil changes in it prior life.

trekkor

trekkor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

I also test fit myself in my seat with helmet on and discovered I'm about a inch short on headroom (not to mention being a little too close to the roll cage bar for comfort). The bottom of the seat is already just about on the floorpan, so I suppose I can move it forward a bit and tilt it back more...stupid tallness. Any suggestions?

I'm enjoying this build thread. Just about ready to get into this myself.

Regarding the seating problem, can you lower the mount or the actual floor itself.
Do you have a picture of the seat area without the seat installed?

KT
Crew for Todd Tagget #42 ( future co-driver! )
Let me set your tile!~ http://www.willstile.com

Austin Robison

Austin Robison

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:47
Whew, I'm back! After a bit of a hiatus I'm back on the bandwagon prepping my car for the upcoming season. Tonight, I put on the spec suspension and pulled a few more extraneous plastic panels out of the fender wells.

Looks like my plastic guard under the engine bay is cracked, nothing a little tape won't fix until I grab another one.

Posted Image

Taking the front struts out was easy once I learned the proper procedure: sway bar links off, bottom shock bolt out, two nuts on the top hat, and the long bolt through the inboard side of the upper control arm. Turns out the spring compressor was unnecessary, with the upper control arm disconnected it's easy to wiggle the strut out and get the coilover in there.

Posted Image

The end link angle in the front looks a little funky, is that normal? I guess once the car isn't up in the air and the suspension is at ride height it will look better.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Rears look better for angle:

Posted Image

I also assume that I put the rear bar on correctly (the angle of the end links would be really crazy the other way around). The front bar looks symmetrical, yeah?

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Put both sway bars on the soft setting Austin...farthest from the bend in the sway bar. Make sure you load your suspension before you tighten any of the A arm bolts...put a jack under the LCA and lift until that corner of the car lifts off the jack stand...then tighten away! Did you put new bearings in the rear while you had the axles out? Repack the fronts(or new)?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Austin Robison

Austin Robison

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Put both sway bars on the soft setting Austin...farthest from the bend in the sway bar. Make sure you load your suspension before you tighten any of the A arm bolts...put a jack under the LCA and lift until that corner of the car lifts off the jack stand...then tighten away! Did you put new bearings in the rear while you had the axles out? Repack the fronts(or new)?

I didn't have to take any of the knuckles off to get the struts in, so I haven't fiddled with the hubs yet, but I'll at least repack the fronts. Definitely will start the sways at full soft for the shakedown and then dial it in from there.

Justin Fowler

Justin Fowler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48
Update your build when you get a chance Austin! Love seeing builds

Austin Robison

Austin Robison

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Whew, it's been a busy couple of weeks at work, but I had a chance to get some work done on the car this weekend. Got the Torsen diff installed (thanks Ron!) but haven't swapped the axles in yet.

Of course, the PPF bolts were a huge pain and I spun one of the pressed-in nuts

Posted Image

Nothing a little vise grip action wouldn't solve, though:
Posted Image

All mounted back up. I'm a little wary of the spun nut, but I was able to get it up to the torque spec without a problem when reconnecting the diff housing to the PPF, so looks like all is well:
Posted Image

Austin Robison

Austin Robison

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I also started the engine rebuild. After cleaning up the block, the crankshaft went back in without incident and the oil clearances looked great with the new bearings.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Austin Robison

Austin Robison

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
More interestingly, as I cleaned off the pile of carbon on top of the first piston I noticed a "10" stamped into the top. Ok, fine, I've got oversized pistons, no big deal with this year's rule change, though a little strange since I didn't remember the measurements of the cylinders I took to be in the oversized range (starting to question my calipers at this point). This is all well a good (other than having the wrong sized piston rings, but that's easy to fix) until I discover that I have three "10"s and one "20". Who puts mismatched pistons in an engine?

So...do I just grab another first oversized piston and call it good? Find a new block? Starting to look like it's going to be tough to be done by the first race ;)

Posted Image

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Car Year:1990
http://www.attarco.c...main_page=index for used engines fyi if it comes to that...
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Or call your buddy Ron :D

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Austin Robison

Austin Robison

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Yeah, an Attarco engine is on the list of possibilities for getting up and running. Easy enough to put my Haag head on it and call it a day. I think perhaps the next step is to go remeasure the cylinders and see if a .010" oversize will fit OK in the cylinder that had the .020". Might end up with lower compression in that cylinder, but wouldn't be the end of the world. What do you guys think?

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39

Yeah, an Attarco engine is on the list of possibilities for getting up and running. Easy enough to put my Haag head on it and call it a day. I think perhaps the next step is to go remeasure the cylinders and see if a .010" oversize will fit OK in the cylinder that had the .020". Might end up with lower compression in that cylinder, but wouldn't be the end of the world. What do you guys think?

Austin - congrats on the build so far and on the helpful documentation of the process. WRT to the engine, if you're going to race you want the strongest possible engine so that it doesnt hold you back. Having put in so much time so far, I think it would be a big mistake just slapping it back together with the mismatched pistons. Do it right and you will have lots of fun racing ahead. Just slap it together and I predict you will do it again later and regret taking the easy way out. JMHO

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Austin Robison

Austin Robison

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Agreed, I'm trying to build it right the first time =)

I spoke with Ron a little earlier today, who told me that Mike Haag thinks I could still be ok and that the stampings might not be oversize markers. Time to go remeasure everything.

Austin Robison

Austin Robison

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Ok, I plead temporary insanity.

I went back and measured the crap out of my pistons and block. Standard sized pistons, block has not been overbored and is well within spec for the standard piston size. Guess I just psyched myself out with those stampings ;)

Anyway, I felt motivated after discovering that I was in fact, not totally screwed, and put the new rings on the pistons and bolted them to the crankshaft.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Easy-peasy...once I figured out that if you over tighten your ring compressor you will hate life.

Rinse and repeat:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Austin Robison

Austin Robison

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Also, I love this stuff:

Posted Image

Austin Robison

Austin Robison

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
And for extra bonus points, I reattached the oil pump and a new water pump. The old oil pump looked go, so it just got a new seal, and the old water pump was a giant pile of rust.

Posted Image

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Car Year:1990
Sweet. Let's get 'er done this weekend. :thumbsup:
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Austin Robison

Austin Robison

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Many thanks to Alberto and Brandon this weekend for helping out!

We got a ton of work done:

After a little work, Mike Haag's excellent head goes on:
Posted Image

Alberto and Brandon working on the drive axles:
Posted Image

Nice work, boys!
Posted Image

They also pulled the front hubs for repacking and put the R package tie rod ends on:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Austin Robison

Austin Robison

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Meanwhile, I was busy reassembling the engine:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bolting things onto the block went smoothly. No surprises here.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: build, na, scca, construction, 1991, 1.6L

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users