Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91
Is there such thing as a pro transmission? How much power is there to be reclaimed from drag over the typical junkyard tranny running the same oil?

Vendors, sell me on a rebuilt tranny. They tend to die shortly after installation in my region.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
Rob;
From my vantage point miata transmission rebuilds don't have longevity... That being said I gave a local re-builder a shot and it's been great (solid for the first 4hrs of last yrs 25hr, the entire SoCal NASA season plus two classes and Nationals).

I have two gearboxes sitting here that I plan to take to him to rebuild... One will become my spare the other will need a good home.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
IMO transmission failures are 90+ % driver related.. I have been through a total of 2 rebuilt trans since 2004. The first, I missed a down shift pretty badly and sheared the teeth off third gear. The second happened last year, it just stuck in third with no issues before that happened. ( this failure was due to inadequate lubrication as we were trying fluids we should not have. ) My team mate goes through 2+ a year.. I lift the gas pedal, push clutch to floor, engage the gear, let the clutch out, back on gas, a little quicker than that, but I do all the steps.. I do not rest my hand on the shifter either. My team mate speed shifts. IMO if a transmission is rebuilt by one of the many qualified people doing them and all the parts that wear are replaced, they should all perform well. If they fail shortly after installation and was not a reassembly issue, it is a driver issue. We offer a 90 day warranty on ours, covers all except obvious abuse.

As far as drag... In terms of negative pulls on the dyno.. I have seen 1-3 hp drag differences in good boxes.. The used ones are inconsistent, some good, some not so good. That being said, I have never seen a used box better than a rebuilt box in terms of drag or performance. I haven't tested others rebuilt boxes, but obviously dyno ours all the time. Our negative numbers are always very close. within 1-1.5 hp. We see a larger difference in changing fluids than I have seen changing from one trans to another. We have seen some used units that are similar to rebuilt ones. I think the deciding factor for most is what you value your time at. If you do your own work and don't mind swapping a trans out, buy used. If you want a good trans that you can put in once and forget it , go rebuilt or new.

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
Jim, tranny shipping to San Diego?
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72
IMO, What Jim said.

Between Jim and myself, we probably do 50% of the SM transmissions on this side of the country. A used box will NEVER shift like a fresh one. They are worn out at 40,000 miles.

Upshifting properly, like Jim describes, is part of the issue. When you down shift, you must brake, wait, wait, wait, downshift and turn. Early downshifts will break teeth.

I have never broken a trans while driving. I also have customers who go through 2 a year.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88
Barry H here at MR.com is one of our best in NorCal for trannies.
Lives by LS.
Hartzel Automotive Svc

510 California Ave, Sand City, California 93955
Tel: (831)3946002
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
Is there anything in the way of clever stuff going on inside of a rebuild? Or is it just newer parts work together better?

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

IMO transmission failures are 90+ % driver related.. I have been through a total of 2 rebuilt trans since 2004. The first, I missed a down shift pretty badly and sheared the teeth off third gear. The second happened last year, it just stuck in third with no issues before that happened. ( this failure was due to inadequate lubrication as we were trying fluids we should not have. ) My team mate goes through 2+ a year.. I lift the gas pedal, push clutch to floor, engage the gear, let the clutch out, back on gas, a little quicker than that, but I do all the steps.. I do not rest my hand on the shifter either. My team mate speed shifts. IMO if a transmission is rebuilt by one of the many qualified people doing them and all the parts that wear are replaced, they should all perform well. If they fail shortly after installation and was not a reassembly issue, it is a driver issue. We offer a 90 day warranty on ours, covers all except obvious abuse.

As far as drag... In terms of negative pulls on the dyno.. I have seen 1-3 hp drag differences in good boxes.. The used ones are inconsistent, some good, some not so good. That being said, I have never seen a used box better than a rebuilt box in terms of drag or performance. I haven't tested others rebuilt boxes, but obviously dyno ours all the time. Our negative numbers are always very close. within 1-1.5 hp. We see a larger difference in changing fluids than I have seen changing from one trans to another. We have seen some used units that are similar to rebuilt ones. I think the deciding factor for most is what you value your time at. If you do your own work and don't mind swapping a trans out, buy used. If you want a good trans that you can put in once and forget it , go rebuilt or new.

Jim

Jim,

So what fluids give the least HP loss
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Jim,

So what fluids give the least HP loss

Customer secret.... :king: No soup for you!

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA