• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Region:NorCal
Given the incredible toyo contingency in NASA, I'm thinking about getting back in to SM again after a hiatus to focus on my LS1 car. I might as well build a 99 if I'm going to build another SM, right? I know almost nothing about the 99's. Are there any specific packages, build numbers, options, etc. etc. etc. that are specifically desirable or undesirable in the 99?

I already know that I shouldn't get a California car given that some of the exhaust parts are more restrictive. Any other advice?

Cheers,

Dean

Former driver

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Oh man, I see how you are(tire whore!)....guess we'll stay in SCCA :D I don't think it really matters as far as options. You'll pay more for a nicer car with low miles but the stock stuff you don't need will be in better shape and you can off load it easier. If you want a real project...but cheap, get a hold of me. Will be great to see you back out there on a regular basis! Some wont be so happy :banghead:

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
Dean I do not know how much you do or don't know so if I will assume nothing. Stay away from the 6 speed 10 year anniversary models. otherwise you want what you would in any year. obviously nice if it comes with a Torsen, nicer, if it also had a hard top. As far as I know the options and packages are not that important; no automatics as the computer is different. otherwise get the cheapest cleanest one you can find. Out in the mid west I regularly see decent 99"s in the 4 to 5,000.00 range.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Given the incredible toyo contingency in NASA, I'm thinking about getting back in to SM again after a hiatus to focus on my LS1 car. I might as well build a 99 if I'm going to build another SM, right? I know almost nothing about the 99's. Are there any specific packages, build numbers, options, etc. etc. etc. that are specifically desirable or undesirable in the 99?

I already know that I shouldn't get a California car given that some of the exhaust parts are more restrictive. Any other advice?

Cheers,

Dean

Don't let the CA car be a deal breaker if you find a nice example. It's pretty easy (and fairly cheap) to convert it to a non-CA car. You only need a non CA manifold, and ECU. The ECU isn't necessary really either, the car will run on either. With open fuel pressure and timing I doubt it even matters anymore.

Duncan
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
Also, If you find a car you can call Mazda Motorsports with the VIN and they can tell you if it has a torsion. I found a car where the seller didn't know/car the car had the nicer diff and got a killer deal.

Duncan
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Killian

Killian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Region:NASA Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:707
Many MW/GL '99 owners don't know it, but their chassis (where the swaybar brackets mount) can be punched through with a pick and a hammer.

http://forum.miata.n...ad.php?t=397790

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Region:NorCal
Seems like the wrong place to be trying to remove weight... ;-)

Thanks guys - that's exactly the kind of information that I need regarding the special models to avoid, the torsen, the differences with the CA car, etc. You can buy a bunch of parts for the cost of a plane ticket and the costs associated with driving the car back several hundred miles from NV, UT or AZ...

Cheers,

Dean

Former driver

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
Its around $400 total to convert a CA car to the Federal exhaust including the manifold, heat shields, and new bolts for both heat shields. I wouldn't go through the trouble getting a out of state car unless it was a great deal and obviously worth it.

Im not sure if ECU's will be the same as my 1.6 where I went through a few to find the best one. :spin:
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88
You may want to look at 01~05 as well with the rules.
99-00: from 2400; 38mm
01-05: from 2400; 40mm
I think the chins are available as well.

Drago's doing a 02, what a surprise.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Drago's doing a 02, what a surprise.
J~

All for that cool wide Chin spoiler and cooler headlights, front cover and tail lights :) We are doing mine all out, but it is for sale. I am running my 99.

Important to say.... The 01-05 is at no more of an advantage or disadvantage since last year, compared to the 99, both lost 3 mm in plate and still weigh the same.. My thought process is that the 01/05 cars will pull 5th gear better than the 99's... I know one track specifically in Wi that has a very long 5th gear straight. Also feel the 01/05 may lose less with same 3 mm in restriction as the intake is already so bad.. We did an 02 last year that was pretty good, runs with almost any 99 in the country, but was not quite as good as our best 99's, but real close

Jim
  • makus0025 and lillyweld like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Dewey P

Dewey P

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Dean,

If memory serves me correct, if the donor has leather package or cruise control then it will have a Torson. Obviously the leather sells good on craiglists.

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Dean,

If memory serves me correct, if the donor has leather package or cruise control then it will have a Torson. Obviously the leather sells good on craiglists.

But that's not the only way to get one. My non-ABS cloth seat car had a Torsen. When I was looking at cars, I would just call Mazda Motorsports with the VIN and they would tell me what diff was in it.

Duncan

Killian

Killian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Region:NASA Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:707

But that's not the only way to get one. My non-ABS cloth seat car had a Torsen. When I was looking at cars, I would just call Mazda Motorsports with the VIN and they would tell me what diff was in it.

Duncan

Might be a popular equipment package (PEP) car.

Also, regarding the rust in MW/GL/NE cars, I am curious if one could patch this common problem in a '99 car...

Rail, Otr Frame¶ (a) R NC10-53-35XA
L NC10-54-35XA
6 Rail, Inr Frame¶ (a) R NC10-53-310
L NC10-54-310

http://www.mazdamoto...mx5_9905_cg.pdf

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Also, regarding the rust in MW/GL/NE cars, I am curious if one could patch this common problem in a '99 car...

Rail, Otr Frame¶ (a) R NC10-53-35XA
L NC10-54-35XA
6 Rail, Inr Frame¶ (a) R NC10-53-310
L NC10-54-310

A few days ago during the undercoat bitchfest while searching I read on another site a post about a guy pushing with a screwdrive at rusty looking areas & the next thing he knew he had very large holes where per him the unibody frame rusted out from the inside. If it were me doing a race car I'd say good by :wave2: to that chassis.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

Duncan

Open the passenger side door and look at the post, if it says "hard s" it is will have a Torsen as well as Bilstein shocks ( very marketable).

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

Open the passenger side door and look at the post, if it says "hard s" it is will have a Torsen as well as Bilstein shocks ( very marketable).

+1
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Nathan Pring

Nathan Pring

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:85

Dean I do not know how much you do or don't know so if I will assume nothing. Stay away from the 6 speed 10 year anniversary models. otherwise you want what you would in any year. obviously nice if it comes with a Torsen, nicer, if it also had a hard top. As far as I know the options and packages are not that important; no automatics as the computer is different. otherwise get the cheapest cleanest one you can find. Out in the mid west I regularly see decent 99"s in the 4 to 5,000.00 range.

Bringing up an old thread here, but what is the reason to avoid the 10AE models other than the six speed?  I currently am looking at some copart donors and keep seeing 10AE models available near me.  I have a '99 caged roller already so i'm just looking at getting a parts donor car to transfer to the shell.  I've already bought a motor and was planning on getting a 'race prepped' 5 speed so are they any other reasons to avoid the 10AEs?

Donors near me seem pretty scarce (at a decent price), if anyone has a heads up on a good donor car let me know! 

2019 SeDIV SMSE Champion

TylerQuance

TylerQuance

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:92
They have the wrong rear gear ratio since they have the 6 sp. Adds cost to your build to also buy a 4.30 Torsen

Tyler Quance 

Race Bushing Factory

Home of the turn-key SM Offset Bushing Control Arms

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

The 3.9 Torsen is worth ever bit as much as a 4.3...the 6 speed will also bring you money! After that the harness and all the other bits you need will swap into your chassis. Not sure if the 6 speed ecu is different but the 49 state ecu's are readily available! If the price is right a 10ae isn't an issue...you might come out ahead being able to sell the 6 speed and 3.9(worst case trade)! If it has the original wheels and seats in decent shape they are worth a few bucks as well!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Nathan Pring

Nathan Pring

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:85
Thanks guys, that's the info I needed.