Photo

Qualification Process for 2012 SCCA Runoffs Announced

- - - - - Finish 8 National & Have Fun

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
TOPEKA, Kan. (December 12, 2011) – Sports Car Club of America’s Board of Directors has amended the process in which invitations for the Club Racing National Championship Runoffs are determined, adding an option for those finishing eight races to the 2011 policy.

Any driver that finishes eight races in a class during the 2012 season, two of them in their division, will automatically be eligible for the National Championship Runoffs at Road America. In addition, the remaining criteria for qualification are unchanged from 2011.
Like in 2011, drivers will be eligible to compete in the Runoffs by starting a least four races, with a minimum of two within their Division of Record, and finish at least four National races in their class, while also either:
- Finishing in the top three of their class in their Divisional Championship.
- Finishing in the top half of the coast-to-coast, National Point Standings within their class during 2012.
- Reach or exceed a minimum number of points for a given class in the National Point Standings (listed below), set by the top half of the 2011 National Point Standings.
SCCA has previously announced that bonus points will be awarded to all drivers participating in BFGoodrich Tires Super Tour events, not just those placing in the top nine positions.
Minimum Number of NATIONAL (not Divisional) points to qualify for the Runoffs based on the point tally of the driver finishing at the mid-way point in the 2011 standings.

American Sedan – 35 points
C Sports Racing – 30 points
D Sports Racing – 35 points
E Production – 35 points
Formula 500 – 44 points
Formula Atlantic – 25 points
Formula 1000 – 46 points
Formula Continental – 20 points
Formula Enterprises – 28 points
Formula F – 27 points
Formula Mazda – 32 points
F Production – 30 points
Formula Vee – 35 points
GT-1 – 23 points
GT-2 – 36 points
GT-3 – 30 points
GT-L – 26 points
H Production – 32 points
Sports 2000 – 40 points

Spec Miata – 25 points

Spec Racer Ford – 28 points
Showroom Stock B – 41 points
Showroom Stock C – 47 points
Super Touring O – 22 points
Super Touring U – 18 points
Touring 1 – 39 points
Touring 2 – 41 points
Touring 3 – 50 points
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72
Although I think 8 races is a little high, this is a great way to allow the majority of SCCA drivers to participate in the National Championship event.

dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Although I think 8 races is a little high, this is a great way to allow the majority of SCCA drivers to participate in the National Championship event.

dave

Yeah, we all know what happened when the format was similar to this in 2010 Runoffs. Six freaking green laps with cars scattered everywhere in the kink on lap 1 and probaby a dozen cars off the track at various locations when they double yellow flagged the race and ended it.

I understand the club trying to boost attendence, but for some, even though you can go to the Runoffs, it might be better to stay home. RA is a fast and potentially danerous track for the inexperienced.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Mr. York, do we know for certain that it was inexperienced drivers that caused the FCYs? My observation is that front runners have contact too. However, personally, I will not enter a championship event just because I can / just to say I did.
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
My opinion is that the attendance we saw in 2010 will likely never be repeated again. I think it was the first time many go ever go to the Runoffs and it was at a track that many wanted to attend. The carnage, the gridding issues at the Sprints and lack of green flag laps are all factors i bringing the attendance down. As is the economy. I am sure certain people will chime in about parity and Road America, I don't that will be a case this year, nor do I believe it was a case in previous years.
IMO FCY's were not primarily due to people making the Runoffs because of easy requirements. I think it was a function of 60+ very similar, very competitive cars and drivers on the same track at the same time at a championship event. Everyone wanted to do well, most everyone thought that were 5-10 positions better than they qualified. People took chances they may not normally take. Many were unfamiliar with the people they were racing against.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

James York

James York

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Mr. York, do we know for certain that it was inexperienced drivers that caused the FCYs? My observation is that front runners have contact too. However, personally, I will not enter a championship event just because I can / just to say I did.

No, just an observation and opinion. The first lap wreck in the kink was in the back. Yes frontrunners have contact true, can't deny it.

For example, in the week prior testing, I had, let's say, an inexperienced driver give me a point by going up into blind turn 6. Well I waved back declining since it most likely would have resulted in him going for a ride in the dirt as he would be on the outside. (much better place to get by in turn 8). Instead I set up to get a run through 7 into 8. Next thing I know, this guys is attempting to block and outbrake me going into turn 8 after he gave me a point by???? What's up with that? Instead he gets punted out of the way.

Jim's point also has merit too. There was a lot of cars.... which leads to my point I think...too many allowed in.

Just my 2 cents. It is not worth much. Especially these days.

James York

sponsored by:

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72
Back in 2010, there was as much banging in the front as in the back.

Is Road America too fast and dangerous for inexperienced drivers. Maybe they should just cancel all the Regional races, those guys don't know how to drive anyways. Tracks don't cause crashes, cars don't cause crashes, inexperience does not cause crashes. DRIVERS CAUSE CRASHES.

Road america is 4 miles long! So 60 cars is the same as 37 at Atlanta. That doesn't sound crowded to me. The SCCA guideline is 25 cars per mile.

IMHO, the 2010 rule requiring 4 races was too easy. From what I have been told by people whom I respect, the 2011 changes effected SM, and SRF only. A couple people in prod cars. But the only major effect was on the 2 most popular classes in SCCA. If you make the investment (time and money) to attend National races, you should be able to attend the Runoffs.

Just my opinion
Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Road America being 4 miles is a great thing, I love the track... I also think the more the merrier.. I came up with the 2010 qualification process, so obviously I support(ed) it. The problem is whether the track is 4 miles or 1 mile, ALL the cars are very close for at least the first few laps and coincidentally, that is when a lot of this stuff happens.. The stuff at the front happens all the way through, before the green, during the race,after the checkered and even during cautions :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Kevin Edens

Kevin Edens

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Region:MidDiv
The car that started the first lap FCY started mid pack. Not too many positions behind you Mr York. He had some very good races with Jim Drago, Matt Reynolds and Tony Coello before the Runoffs and is a very experienced driver. The crash was an accordian effect from some one checking up in front, and him getting tapped from behind. Could have happened with 30 cars on that same four mile track.

James York

James York

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

The car that started the first lap FCY started mid pack. Not too many positions behind you Mr York. He had some very good races with Jim Drago, Matt Reynolds and Tony Coello before the Runoffs and is a very experienced driver. The crash was an accordian effect from some one checking up in front, and him getting tapped from behind. Could have happened with 30 cars on that same four mile track.

Wow. If you count 31 positions back not too many positions........assuming we are talking about the same person, which I assume we are since you provided a driver resume. But it doesn't matter. Maybe this driver didn't cause the FCY, but some inexperience person that tapped him??? Or was it the driver that couldn't run the kink flat in the race pack checking up that caused the issue? Someone caused a couple cars to get wadded up, and it sure wasn't the wall.

But, I'll acknowledge that perhaps the first FCY wasn't due to inexperience, but instead maybe the quantity of cars tightly bunched on lap one as Jim offers. Like I said, its just my opinion and it can be ignored.

However, it is my opinion that it was too easy to enter the Runoffs in 2010 which; 1) Made the idea of a unique, top tier drivers event less, and 2) greatly increased the likelyhood of wrecks (traffic and some questionable skilled drivers)

But it is what it is. Drago once told me, "a good plan is to start on pole and drive away so you don't worry about any crashes behind".

James York

sponsored by: