FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
I just inherited a full nitrogen tank for filling tires. I have never used it before but understand that the advantages are that you start out your tires at a higher pressure because nitrogen does not expand as fast as air.

I would think that this would be an advantage because you could start out your session with more air pressure, which may get you up to speed faster.

Anyone use nitrogen, any pros or cons? Is it worth doing?

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Frank
Most compressed air has high moisture content and it varies. So it plays with the amount your race tires blow up when your tires are coming up to temperature. Nitrogen is obvious consistent and does not grow as much and is always constant.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
Some folks say they can dry compressed air enough so it doesn't vary but I've never tired it. Karting I always used nitrogen and found great consistency. To add to what Jim posted, the volume of moisture in compressed air not only makes inflation inconsistent but tire temps, depending on the how much water is in the air. The moisture is a byproduct of the heat generated compressing the air that then condenses in the system. Same reason you should drain your air compressor regularly.

IOW, if you are getting inconsistent readings across the contact patch with temps and inconsistent pressure readings and you know you are on a balanced and/or optimum set up, could be the compressed air. That said, I ran compressed air from my compressor and dryer/filter (Motorguard M60} the second season of stock car racing because I traded my big tank for MIG mix. I now have enough tanks for welding and Nitrogen so the SM will get nitrogen. I couldn't tell in the hobby stock but I was on old street tires from the used tire joint and there were other things wrong with the car. Kept having a problem with a loose nut behind the wheel, though I did finish 8th for the season in a 40 car class in a car that was less than optimal. I bet most SMers won't notice but the gang at the pointy end of the grid probably will. It is cheap to fill (compared to welding gasses). My last big 250 cuft bottle fill was 27 bucks, out the door. My last 100% argon was 80 bucks plus for a 150cuft and last 86/14 MIG mix150 cuft was just under 70 bucks. Nitrogen is pretty cheap.

Link to bottle size designations from where I get my gases.

http://www.airgas.co...d=7000000000234

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE
Royal PIA without much benifit. You have to COMPLETLY evacuate the air out of each tire before you put in the nitrogen. As was stated before its not the air expanding its the moisture in the air.

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Some folks say they can dry compressed air enough so it doesn't vary but I've never tired it.

I used SCUBA air for several seasons. less than .1% moisture. A 60cf alum tank lasted 2 week ends filling tires and running air tools.

Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Royal PIA without much benifit.

+1
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72
Nitrogen is great to travel with, just a big hi-pressure are tank. No compressor or elctricity needed.

Is it better for use in a tire. Maybe.

Air is 72% nitrogen, so what we are worried about is the other 28%. On a cold day in December, humidity is around 5%. Hot summer day in August it may be 90%. It is that variation in water content that gives the inconsistent readings. Even on a dry day, if the compressor is full of water, you end up with humid air.

Just like doing allignments, there are many methods, but consistency is the important part. If you can keep your humidity consistent from your compressor, you will always have the same amount of tire pressure increase for a given set of circumstances. Nitrogen is always the same humidity. Therefore consistant.

To properly use nitrogen, you must mount the tires with air (no sense wasting expensive nitrogen beading tires. Then purge all the air out, refill with nitrogen, purge that out. Then fill for use. As Glenn said PITA.

I carry nitrogen all the time in my semi. I do not normally fill tires with nitrogen.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

philstireservice

philstireservice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
At best you end up with 93% or so nitrogen in your tire. Also tire pressure will continue to grow/expand in a tire with nitrogen just like a tire with so called standard air. What happens though, as the tire reaches the higher operating temperatures when filled with nitrogen, the expansion slows and the tire pressure remains more constant. Like Dave said, the less moisture content is why nitrogen doesn't "grow" as rapidly when the higher tire temps/pressures are reached.

http://philstireservice.com Enkei Team Dynamics The Miata Wheel Motegi Apex Wedsport Hoosier Toyo BFG Michelin Nankang Federal

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
Any one want to buy a cheap tank of Nitrogen, Just kidding, I may give it a try, i have nothing to lose. Maybe this will be the equalizer between the weight and plate debate for my 99. :spin:

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Rob Gibson

Rob Gibson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
Definitely worth doing if you value consistency and predictability in tire pressures. If your goal is only to be within 2 psi of your target, don't bother. With air we could only predict within maybe 1-1.5 psi of the target. Our first weekend with nitrogen and we were predicting within .5 psi. And now after 5 or 6 races, we're disappointed if we're not within .25 psi. Of course this goes along with a stringent recording of tire pressure/temp data.

But don't NOT do it just because people say it's a PITA. A lot of things are a PITA in racing, but you do all these little things and they add up. Let's talk about a very basic PITA item in racing: changing cross weight. You have to jack up one side of the car, turn both spring perches (the correct way and the same amount), then jack up the other side of the car, turn those spring perches, then go to both the front sway bar, loosen lock nuts, turn the coupling nut (as long as you have a left and right hand threaded coupling nut), remove the bind in the sway bar link, tighten the lock nuts, then do the same for the rear sway bar. Oh yeah, and this is all after you've set up the scale stands to be perfectly level.

That to me is a PITA. And how much time are you gaining based on that? But if you want the car to be better you do it. Same goes for Nitrogen, only it's a lot simpler, it can be done at home/shop at your leisure, and then you're done.
  • john mueller and philstireservice like this
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2011 25 Hours of Thunderhill Champion - E3 Class
2012/2009/2008 WERC Champion - E3 Class
2010 NASA Nationals Champion - TTE Class
rjracing.net
facebook.com/rj.racing
twitter.com/rjracing
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
Thanks Rob, I was thinking that I can over fill the tires a little at home before going to the track. I can fill my spare air tank with Nitrogen to bring to the track. I assume I should not have to make dramatic changes at the track and will have the air tank to do it if I need to. So its certainly doable.

With my 205/50/15 tires with regular air I would see on average (this is average) about 6 to 8 lb increase from cold to hot pressures, what range of change have you seen using the nitrogen?

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Definitely worth doing if you value consistency and predictability in tire pressures. If your goal is only to be within 2 psi of your target, don't bother. With air we could only predict within maybe 1-1.5 psi of the target. Our first weekend with nitrogen and we were predicting within .5 psi. And now after 5 or 6 races, we're disappointed if we're not within .25 psi. Of course this goes along with a stringent recording of tire pressure/temp data.

But don't NOT do it just because people say it's a PITA. A lot of things are a PITA in racing, but you do all these little things and they add up. Let's talk about a very basic PITA item in racing: changing cross weight. You have to jack up one side of the car, turn both spring perches (the correct way and the same amount), then jack up the other side of the car, turn those spring perches, then go to both the front sway bar, loosen lock nuts, turn the coupling nut (as long as you have a left and right hand threaded coupling nut), remove the bind in the sway bar link, tighten the lock nuts, then do the same for the rear sway bar. Oh yeah, and this is all after you've set up the scale stands to be perfectly level.

That to me is a PITA. And how much time are you gaining based on that? But if you want the car to be better you do it. Same goes for Nitrogen, only it's a lot simpler, it can be done at home/shop at your leisure, and then you're done.

Are you trying to tell me you can tell the difference in tire pressures of .25#? :scratchchin: Driver ability/skill/consistancy affects changes far more unpredictibility than using AIR. I set 20 cars in the mourning to the same pressure and after the first session I sample EVERY tire. What do ya thing that spread is?

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72
What do ya thing that spread is?

8 psi

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

What do ya thing that spread is?

At first I thought the "thing" was a DC thing, but Now I'll guess it's also a Beloit thing.:rolleyes:

I wish my driver had the ability to feel .25 psi difference.:yep:
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38
I don't think anyone should use nitrogen in their tires. It is so much easier just to used compressed air. I will still use it and enjoy the competitive advantage all to my self.
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

A lot of things are a PITA in racing, but you do all these little things and they add up. Let's talk about a very basic PITA item in racing: changing cross weight.

+1

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

Royal PIA without much benifit. You have to COMPLETLY evacuate the air out of each tire before you put in the nitrogen. As was stated before its not the air expanding its the moisture in the air.

You have to mount them with nitrogen and make sure what you clean your wheels or tires with doesn't take away any of the benefit. That's where using a purge valve is handy though not allowed in SM. As said before, it's all those little pain in the ass things that add up to win races and championships. Most of us ain't gonna notice.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

You have to mount them with nitrogen and make sure what you clean your wheels or tires with doesn't take away any of the benefit. That's where using a purge valve is handy though not allowed in SM. As said before, it's all those little pain in the ass things that add up to win races and championships. Most of us ain't gonna notice.

Since I have not done this yet, my plan on the purge was, I have the TR motorsports rims from Tire Rack, It has two air valves in it i was going to connect the inlet to one and open the other side and hopefully displace the air with Nitrogen. Does that sound plausible?

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Since I have not done this yet, my plan on the purge was, I have the TR motorsports rims from Tire Rack, It has two air valves in it i was going to connect the inlet to one and open the other side and hopefully displace the air with Nitrogen. Does that sound plausible?

Frank, a more common option is a little metal T shaped dealy bob that you screw onto the normal valve stem after you take the valve core out. The T shaped dealy bob has valve core end, normal air in end & air exit end. Using normal compressor air a vacum is created to suck air out of tire. More commonly called blocking the tire. The tire sides are actually sucked into the rim. Remove the T shaped dealy bob, insert valve core, fill with nitrogen. I guess the dealy bob would be called a blocking tool. :scratchchin:
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

philstireservice

philstireservice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Frank, a more common option is a little metal T shaped dealy bob that you screw onto the normal valve stem after you take the valve core out. The T shaped dealy bob has valve core end, normal air in end & air exit end. Using normal compressor air a vacum is created to suck air out of tire. More commonly called blocking the tire. The tire sides are actually sucked into the rim. Remove the T shaped dealy bob, insert valve core, fill with nitrogen. I guess the dealy bob would be called a blocking tool. :scratchchin:

You can get said "dealy bob" from Myers Tire Supply.

http://philstireservice.com Enkei Team Dynamics The Miata Wheel Motegi Apex Wedsport Hoosier Toyo BFG Michelin Nankang Federal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users