Photo

Car Builders - Main hoop dimensions, please?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Josh Chaney

Josh Chaney

JC-MX5

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:33
Hey, fellas. This weekend, I'm finally taking my next step and having a half-cage fabbed up so that my '90 and myself can move to HPDE events, TTs, and so forth. My one issue is that I don't own a hard top and would like to be absolutely sure that my main hoop will clear a hard top when the time comes. I was wondering if anyone could share some hard top clearing main hoop dimensions (floor of tub to roof, of course) for an NA6 with me so that I may have them on hand for my fabricator.

I'm going to try and track somebody down that will come with me and/or loan me their top for the day, but that's looking like a slim possibility. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
- Team Fail Motorsports: Failing Hardcore Since 2009 -

pitbull113

pitbull113

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Region:CFR
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:01 ITA
if it was me i would not have the cage built without the hardtop to make sure you have the clearance and all the room possible.

Steve Elicati
1994 ITA miata #01

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
Get the top for your car then have the cage fabbed to that. As an alternative you could go with a Harddog kit or other TT/DE accepted method. I don't know if thety enforce this in TT od DE but one thing to consider is that if you run without a top and with a hoop, you may to a minimum helmet clearance under the hoop that you may not have with the top. I don't think starting the race cage without a top is a good option.
  • Jim Drago likes this

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30
Perhaps you could borrow a top for the bar install? Dave's question is real, though -- you could find that you won't be allowed without the top anyway. It just depends who's putting on the track day.

Josh Chaney

Josh Chaney

JC-MX5

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
I'm still trying to track down a loaner HT for the day. They told me that there's a regular there that has a Miata with a HT, so hopefully they'll be there or nearby to let me use it. If worse comes to worse, I could always back out or reschedule.

Josh Chaney

Josh Chaney

JC-MX5

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
And thank the car gods, I have a hard top lined up! Thanks for the input, guys. :D

Stetson

Stetson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Region:South East
I hate to be the wet blanket - but bite the bullet and get the hard top. You are going to need one eventually so go ahead and get it. Then you can have the cage fabricated perfectly and you won't have to worry about it.

Its a bit of coin to get one, but hey, its essential if you are going to take your driving and your car to the next level. See if you can get a used one in good shape, save you a few dollars.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users