Todd Tagget

Todd Tagget

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:42
I'm rebuilding all of my calipers as I do my build. So my first question is how do you guys get the pistons out ?

Second question is what is your opinion on the E-brake ? lose it ? or keep it ? I've heard differing opinions

Thanks
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
Depends. Keeping it street legal... Gotta keep it. Race only... lose it. More importantly, lose the adjusters out of the rear calipers... or be prepared to check them for drag after every session.

I recommend buying a pair of rear calipers from Drago with the adjuster removed. I'm also a proponent of starting new on brakes rather than rebuild an unknown set. I went that route, at first. Then I had issues and sound up replacing everything except the hard lines. So, pay now or maybe pay later. For something as critical as brakes.... now is probably the wiser option.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
Piston removal: you have two options that I know of.

1. Use compressed air in the fluid inlet port. This can be somewhat dramatic depending on the psi. Start low and work up to the pressure to push the cylinder free.

2. Get a helper to push the brake pedal while you have one caliper free. This is likely to make it mess with brake fluid.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I'm rebuilding all of my calipers as I do my build. So my first question is how do you guys get the pistons out ?

Thanks

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXcClOfFmlg

Any down side to NOT installing dust boots on rebuilds? Most real "racecars" do not use them.

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Any upside?
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

Any upside?

un sprung weight reduction :king:

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:26
Agree with Tom on the E-brake, your call.

On the video piston removal, save your fingers and use a block of wood when you remove the caliper with compressed air. Mine pop out with enough force to do some real damage. I use the boots, with the off road driving I do on occasion I've had zero brake issues. The video boot technique is pretty much what I do, I extend it a little further past the end of the caliper making it oblong to seat the bottom then work around the side from there. Good luck.

juliancates

juliancates

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Region:NASA MA/SE
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:73

Depends. Keeping it street legal... Gotta keep it. Race only... lose it. More importantly, lose the adjusters out of the rear calipers... or be prepared to check them for drag after every session.

Are there any how-to's available for removing the rear adjusters, or is this proprietary information?

I'm also a proponent of starting new on brakes rather than rebuild an unknown set.

With front calipers being $39 at Autozone (I paid about $20 just for a seal kit on my old car...) and rears being $68, this makes it not so much a kick in the nuts just to start with new calipers, it would seem.
Posted Image
2010 NASA Midwest GTS2 Runner-Up
2011 The SM Saga Begins

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Are there any how-to's available for removing the rear adjusters, or is this proprietary information?

It is pretty simple remove the bolt and crush washer from the caliper that covers the adjuster port remove the bleader valve. using the parking brake adjuster screw turn it manually pushing the piston out as far as you can by that method. Then pull the rubber back off the groove in the cylinder, then use air to push the piston rest of the way out.
Thread a slide hammer into the adjuster mechanism inside the piston holding piston in one hand and woking the slide hammer in the other it will eventually pop out. Slide the piston back into the dust sleve and re asemble. Alot easier than people think it is! be carefull not to tear the dust seals.

The easiest and best way I have found is to just send your calipers to East Street, and have him send you calipers that already have this done. They are much nicer than anything you will get at an Autozone. They are powder coated and rear adjuster disabled ready for installation!
  • Graeme likes this

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
There's a golfer in NE Ohio who showed Drago the ebrake disable procedure. I believe he still rebuilds caliper when not hanging out with Big Bertha. Said golfer also described the process on the 'other' SM website.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

The easiest and best way I have found is to just send your calipers to East Street, and have him send you calipers that already have this done. They are much nicer than anything you will get at an Autozone. They are powder coated and rear adjuster disabled ready for installation!

That is what I did on the rear's, I was going to attempt the e brake removal and looked at the how too and decided to just order the East Street version, Jim polishes the pistons and gives you a pretty nice product.

I did attempt a few times to rebuild my fronts but I do not have the nack, they always ended up leaking.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

A past regular poster Mark Bennett (aka the golfer) brought this forward on the old site. A search might find you somthing. For an immediate sort of show & tell go to http://www.miata.net/garage/ebrake/index.html . In the last photo the adjuster parts are layed out. In the lower left hand corner of picture is a round wire "C" clip. This "C" clip fits between the two sprockets of the adjuster (same picture) & a circular groove in the piston. When your puling the adjuster out of the inside of the piston this "C" clip must be forced out (reduced in outside diameter) of the piston circular groove.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Go Time Racing

Go Time Racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16 posts
After you dis-able the parking brake... I'll sell you some magical brake fluid worth another 2 h.p.
"Common sense... It's not rocket science."

Mike Tesch

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

After you dis-able the parking brake... I'll sell you some magical brake fluid worth another 2 h.p.

How much is it? :scratchchin: :D

I would never run with the e-brake hardware though.. I don't see an upside.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73

How much is it? :scratchchin: :D

+1
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

+1

Lost me...but then again always get lost after a nice 15% Zin :D

Somewhat related question...1.6 and 1.8 brake brackets, rotors,and pads are different. Are all calipers actually the same?? Also related to brake rotors...stock have a minimum thickness stamped on them. Any specific issues with them when you get close to this min or beyond?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Number:26

I did mine last year and can't remember exactly how I did it. I didn't use a slide hammer. I used the threads of the adjuster itself with another bolt to force the pieces apart. As I recall it was kind of similar to the way a hub puller works in concept. I think the threads on the caliper adjuster are reverse and my bolt with the same or similar threads worked together to get to come apart. I'm going to do some more calipers later this month and will post my technique. It did not require a lot of physical effort. Sorry my memory is not clearer on this.

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Also related to brake rotors...stock have a minimum thickness stamped on them. Any specific issues with them when you get close to this min or beyond?

Why would you - new rotors are $15.

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88

Why would you - new rotors are $15.

I get mine done since brand new, with new pads I've found sometimes it's a snug fit and the pads drag even with the pistons fully retracted. The machine shop takes just a hair off for me. $8 per rotor. Granted he though I was a bit daft at first, then he realized, "Because race car."
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users