Photo

Fire System plumbing and best nozzle locations.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Duane Polsley

Duane Polsley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Region:SFR
New car build, decided to put the bottle in the trunk. Any idea's on the best way to route the lines? Under the car or thru the pass compartment? Where are the best locations for the nozzles. Two in the engine comp.one in the cockpit ( I assume pointed at the driver ), and one in the trunk.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

wreckerboy

wreckerboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Region:NJ
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:53
I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but I did work for a fire suppression company for a while and spoke with their engineers about this same question. In a nutshell:

• Make sure that the activation device for the fire system is solidly mounted and is sturdy and well marked. If you're going for it, you're not going to be gentle. There was a report of a horrible fire at T'Hill a few years ago involving a RX7 where the first responders got to the car, pulled the lever, and had the entire mount come off in their hands because it was pop riveted to the plastic dash.
  • Route the lines inside the car to protect from getting torn up when ag racing.
  • You want to eliminate potential ignition and fuel sources for the flame. This means one nozzle over the fuel side of the motor, one over the exhaust.
  • You want to do your damndest to prevent the flames from getting to you. Close off those holes in the firewall with something more effective than duct tape.
  • Stop the flames from getting to as far away as possible from you to give you more time to get out. Usually this means putting them on your side of the firewall, typically in the footwells.
  • The shifter is another potential path for flame to get in at the gooey interface (driver). Consider some sort of flame retardant shift boot. NOTE: I'm not sure of the legality of that piece of advice, so read the GCR first.

• RacerX and Qik Nip like this
Rob Myles | "I didn't lose, I got out-painted!"
Hero To The Momentum Challenged
WDCR SSM #30

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Number:60
Great advice from wreckerboy. My only point of difference is that I used two nozzles in the cockpit and one (on the fuel side) under the hood. I figured that the car is going to burn if it catches, but I want me doused as much as possible to give max exit time. Ergo I have one in the footwell aimed at my legs and one over my right sholder aimed forward. Wreckerboy's comment about a strong mount is particually valid. I'm reinforcing mine this winter.
Rick
P.S. Mine is a wet foam system.

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year
Powered by: Stewart Engines
Set up by: RAFT Motorsports

SM: The safest race car in the world. It can just
barely kill you.

Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ken Wilkinson

Ken Wilkinson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Region:Mid Atlantic
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:228
If your system has 6 nozzles and you know you want to put 2 on the engine, 2 on the driver is it worth putting 1 or 2 in the vicinity of the fuel tank and if so where?

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

If your system has 6 nozzles and you know you want to put 2 on the engine, 2 on the driver is it worth putting 1 or 2 in the vicinity of the fuel tank and if so where?

I have 2 in the engine bay, 2 on me (over right shoulder and footwell) and 1 in the trunk pointed at the fuel inlet lines to tank.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

wreckerboy

wreckerboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Region:NJ
  • Car Number:53
This came up in my conversations with the fire engineers. My theory (note heavy emphasis) on putting them over the tank is that they might be best served elsewhere. If the tank, which is mounted over the rear suspension, is damaged by the wreck it is safe to say you've got other issues at that point. I would rather use them as Rick ("Qik Nip") suggests, and create extra coverage in the passenger's compartment to allow more egress time.
Rob Myles | "I didn't lose, I got out-painted!"
Hero To The Momentum Challenged
WDCR SSM #30

Gunpilot

Gunpilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:88
I purchased the 4L 6 nozzle system and did the same research you are doing. I read many posts and looked at many pictures. Here is what I did on my 1992 Miata.

Fire bottle mounted to passenger floor against transmission tunnel (so I can still use a seat and carry passengers if needed). One fire handel mounted in stock cigarette lighter locatioin using fabricated metal plates for stability. One fire handle mounted on plate with electrical cut off switch (one stop safety shop).

I routed the first line through the passenger fire wall into the engine bay using the bulkhead connector supplied in the kit. The nozzels are mounted on the firewall on each side on motor using fabricated brackets. One pointed at fuel rail and one pointed at exhaust manifold area.

Off of that line I branched a segment off before going through firewall and ran it behind radio console and mounted a nozzle on the right side of driver footwell pointed at my feet and lower legs.

For the second line I ran it along the transmission tunnel up the rear wall to the fuel tank area. One nozzel installed at fuel pump panel and one in fuel filler neck panel. Off of this line I also ran a line up the back of my cage and fabricated a bracket for a nozzel in the corner where the seat belt bar and diagonal bar meet to aim over my right shoulder and spray any flames down.
  • RacerX likes this

Ken Wilkinson

Ken Wilkinson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Region:Mid Atlantic
  • Car Number:228
I guess I should ask and clarify my earlier question better:
If you have 6 nozzels and are using 2 on the engine, 2 on the driver, is it worth the potential loss in volume and pressure by using 1 or both nozzels in the vicinity of the fuel tank?
My thought is that it would be better to just use 1 nozzel pointed at the fuel filler lines (or possibly over the fuel tank) and not use the 6th nozzel and avoid 1 extra "hole" in the system.

Duane Polsley

Duane Polsley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Region:SFR
Thanks for the input, very helpful. I'm thinking two nozzles in engine compartment and one in drivers footwell area and one towards drivers body.

Sacslider

Sacslider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:27
Being the one that pulled the fire system in the rx-7 and having it come off in my hand I can not over emphasize the proper mounting is critical. Metal brackets mounted to metal parts of the car only. Placing it on the driver's side of the shifter would also be a good idea since flames can (and have) come through the opening.

I personally would only use one nozzel in the trunk and two in the engine compart with the rest for the driver. The nzzel pointed over the shoulder would be a good idea along with the feet and legs. Do not point on at the driver from the dash. Foam in the face through a still open visor will not help you in your efforts to get out.

Craig Evans
NASA NorCal SpecMiata Director Retired
NASA Norcal Region Champion - SpecMiata 2011, 2013<p>
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88
My engine blew. Oil went up the tranny and caught my shifter boot on fire. Place your pull handle accordingly. I didn't have a system at the time, just a bottle on the other side of the fire.

J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jack Martin

Jack Martin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Region:Wichita
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30

My engine blew. Oil went up the tranny and caught my shifter boot on fire. Place your pull handle accordingly. I didn't have a system at the time, just a bottle on the other side of the fire.

J~

I use a Thermo Tec flame proof shifter boot. Jeg's has them for $28.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users