• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Chris Windsor

Chris Windsor

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Region:WDC
Well Sebring and Homestead are in the books. Sounds like some good racing and the top several running close.

So I raise the question was there any tech and what? :noidea:
SM5, SM, SSM builds
Support, sales, repair or rental
windsorcustoms.com

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
From the Sebring thread, there was a post race tech on the top 6 and whistled the top 3. No issues.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53
At both races, we impounded all cars and checked and marked RP's. We also checked tires, wt. marking & general appearance with 52 cars in impound at Sebring & 34 at Homestead. All was done quickly so those that needed to get ready for STL or STU could do so.

And at both races, we impounded top 6 & whistled top 3. No issues. In addition, the region had a compliance list and checked various items using their tech post race. In addition, we checked sway bars, steering racks, alternators & RP's post race.

We is Fred Clark, DA Tech SEDiv from Jacksonville, Fl & me, Jim Creighton, SM ARRC tech & Prod line chief at Runoffs from Atlanta, Ga.
  • Glenn likes this

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
Just out of curiosity what would be the issue with Alternators?

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

Really?

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53
I started to answer but I'd rather not give anyone any ideas! You guys already know too much. :nonono:

BTW, I've never had so many drivers tell me what a great event and what a good time they had this past weekend at Homestead. Region did a super job. Sit down supper for all drivers and crew Saturday night. Homestead Miami Speedway is the crown jewel in NASCAR tracks. And the track manager said they would be adding showers for next year. Weather a little cool, only got up to 74 degrees but the breeze off the ocean was nice.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

I started to answer but I'd rather not give anyone any ideas! You guys already know too much. :nonono:

Was the check just that a complete weight armature was in place?

Or that the alternator was functional?

Maybe a check for a switch would also be in order.

It's the accumulative non used hp that adds up. :peace1:
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
I don't know about the chick car in particular but there are ECU kits and mods that require a modification of the stock alternator or a different alternator altogether, The tuner car kids use one called Megasquirt. There are others. My understanding is that on the ODBII cars the ECU and alt communicate. Any time you can manipulate that relationship between the ECU and the air/fuel system you could gain a performance advantage. My outlook on publicising the cheats is different than Jim's, with all due respect. I like the NASCAR approach, they show eveyone what was not compliant by putting the piece outside the tech garage for part of the day as a warning. Of course, large fines and suspensions help too but I wouldn't suggest fines in non pursed club racing.

FWIW, I wouldn't run a Miata in a 30 min race with no alt. On an NB I don't know that the stock batt could provide enough current for that long.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

FWIW, I wouldn't run a Miata in a 30 min race with no alt. On an NB I don't know that the stock batt could provide enough current for that long.

+1 Dave, I had an alternator go on me two years ago, and had to keep the car hooked up to the truck and jumper cables till our session started, I felt like I was down on power at the end of the race. no cool suit and no power what a PITA it was.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30
Just a few data items. On the 2006+ MX-5, the ECU is indeed wired to the alternator. It serves as a very smart voltage regulator, that's all -- not quite "communicating" in any meaningful sense. Also no connection to AFR, although you could potentially disable the alternator that way; same effect as disconnecting it. Knowing Mazda, I'm guessing that they do disable the alternator at WOT, but I can't prove it.

The Miata battery has 32 amp-hour capacity. That means to drain it completely in a half-hour requires a 64 amp draw -- bloody unlikely with just the ignition working. Any given battery may be less than optimum, but a good battery should last a race with ease. If it doesn't, replace it.

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
Jim, how many times have you run your Miata with no alt on a 30 min race? There is more than just ignition. There are cool suits, brake lights, data, trasnponder, fans. Are you taking voltage drop and heat loss into account? Look at what the tuner car kids are doing with the ECU and the alt. Which means you'd need a cheater ECU and a cheater alt. I don't know yet what the chick car needs to optimally fire. I'll admit that. But, an HEI needs around 13vdc to provice optimal spark. A 12 volt batt isn't going to provide that. You say it's a 64 amp draw to drain, but what's the optimum voltage? Ohm's Law, babe. The more current you draw from that source, the lower the voltage. And there is no alt to recharge the battery. At what point is the spark less than optimum? The tuner car kids do change the voltage regulators and remap the ECU which changes the AFM. Changing the alt alone isn't the issue. It's one part of changing the entire package. For example, Jim C couldn't tell if I flashed my ECU at tech for a better curve, From what they've posted, they didn't do pass or fails for the ECU. But he could tell by looking at non stock mods to my alt that something was amiss. It's not one thing, it's everything.

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

Jim, how many times have you run your Miata with no alt on a 30 min race? There is more than just ignition. There are cool suits, brake lights, data, trasnponder, fans. Are you taking voltage drop and heat loss into account? Look at what the tuner car kids are doing with the ECU and the alt. Which means you'd need a cheater ECU and a cheater alt. I don't know yet what the chick car needs to optimally fire. I'll admit that. But, an HEI needs around 13vdc to provice optimal spark. A 12 volt batt isn't going to provide that. You say it's a 64 amp draw to drain, but what's the optimum voltage? Ohm's Law, babe. The more current you draw from that source, the lower the voltage. And there is no alt to recharge the battery. At what point is the spark less than optimum? The tuner car kids do change the voltage regulators and remap the ECU which changes the AFM. Changing the alt alone isn't the issue. It's one part of changing the entire package. For example, Jim C couldn't tell if I flashed my ECU at tech for a better curve, From what they've posted, they didn't do pass or fails for the ECU. But he could tell by looking at non stock mods to my alt that something was amiss. It's not one thing, it's everything.

A 99 + will NOT finish a 30 min race with a bad alt PERIOD. Additionally you risk leaning out the engine. FP guys run sans alt all the time BUT they are running a 1.6 and using aftermarket electronic goodies.

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
A 1.6 (SM) will not run very long off the battery either. (First hand experience when the main alternator terminal broke off - with almost new battery)
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30
You seem pretty fixated on "the tuner car kids", Dave. News flash, we're not them, and we can't do things that they do. Second news flash, tuner kids are often not the sharpest tools in the shed. ;)

But you're right, there are lots of factors that will make it so 64 amps isn't a real-world figure. And no, I don't know what the actual draw of a running 1.6 is -- if anybody's measured it, please post. I have indeed run without an alternator. When I bought me first car and took it out for the SCCA school, the alternator quite literally fell off -- both mounting bolts entirely gone. The car did stop, but unfortunately I don't know how long it had been running that long.

BTW, nobody can tell if your ECU has been flashed, because the 1.6 ECU doesn't have flash capability -- you have to physically replace the chip. As for battery draw, I don't use a cool suit, and you certainly wouldn't use one without an alternator. Brake lights are a couple of amps, but only for a very short period per lap. Lights are off, unless you're in a night enduro, which is clearly different. Data and transponder draw is negligible, and unless you're overheating the fans will stay off. Ignition really is the dominant current draw.

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39
Jim, cant speak for a 1.6, but I would be surporised if a '99 will run for an entire race without an alternator. Feed your AF signal ratio to your Traqmate or other data-logger, and if you lose your alternator in a race, watch what happens to your AFM. If you dont get a couple of fried plugs and/or pistons I would be surprised. As Glenn noted above, it gets REALLY lean (high 14's and into the 15's as the voltage drops)

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

Frank:
I suspect that they aren't connected, or that they are smaller than stock in order to lessen drag on the motor..
Rick

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year