17 replies to this topic

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE
Please note that there are products from other manufacturers such as DefNder and Leatt Brace that were previously certified and labeled as meeting SFI 38.1. They are not currently listed on the SFI website because they are no longer in new production. However, any devices still in the field or at retail outlets that have SFI 38.1 stickers on them were properly tested and certified at the time. The certifications for those devices remain valid.

Does this mean SCCA will accept DefNder? Inquiring drivers want to know!

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
Does it have a SCCA certification sticker on it?
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

Does it have a SCCA certification sticker on it?

Question should be does it have an SFI sticker on it. SCCA does'nt certify dooky

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
Doh! Brain fart.
  • Glenn likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
There's also a thread I'll have to look up about if your SFI label peeled off or just showing VOID.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Doug007

Doug007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Region:TX
In related news, the R3 Rage has been discontinued (tired to order one from Summit Racing and was told they are not available). I think they are only making the pro carbon fiber version now ($995).

Looks like HANS is regaining their monopoly...

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL
Here's why defnder is no longer being produced: http://www.africanbu...-technology-llc

Interestingly, I couldn't find any information on the resolution for the lawsuit by hans against them.

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

Here's why defnder is no longer being produced: http://www.africanbu...-technology-llc

Interestingly, I couldn't find any information on the resolution for the lawsuit by hans against them.

My understanding is that HANs and IST settled. Didn't know that Leatt and IST were at odds last year. It's a default judgement which is interesting. I wonder if IST knew they were in the wrong and chose not to respond. Have you looked at what Pacer has on IST with regard to both HANs and Leatt? The Leatt product is used quite a bit in karting. It's far bettter than the required foam neck collar.

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

My understanding is that HANs and IST settled. Didn't know that Leatt and IST were at odds last year. It's a default judgement which is interesting. I wonder if IST knew they were in the wrong and chose not to respond. Have you looked at what Pacer has on IST with regard to both HANs and Leatt? The Leatt product is used quite a bit in karting. It's far bettter than the required foam neck collar.

Good question. I didn't check Pacer, as I'm sure any settlement would be confidential with simply a dismissal on file. As for the default, that's kind of a stupid response to take a default judgment. A default judgment could have put the company totally out of existance. So, I'm not sure how they are stil in business. My only guess is that they gave up the defnder name/website, all assets went to either Leatt or to HANS and IST just walked away from it.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

My only guess is that they gave up the defnder name/website,

According to their website Defnder continues to sell parts.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

According to their website Defnder continues to sell parts.

Yep, but it appears that they haven't made any in a while. Just because they got a judgement against them doesn't mean it's been enforced. Once you get a judgement, you have to go to the proper authority and have it enforced. A bankruptcy can delay or derail that as can an appeal to the judgement.

A head and neck restraint is cheap insurance. I had an angiogram a couple months back. Not stents. Hospital alone bill not quite 30K for a six hour stay. Surgeon and other bits another $32k plus. I got great insurance, I was at max out of pocket and that alone cost me just over a grand. Not counting the nearly $100k of work they've billed on me in 2k11. The ol' man just had a stent in his widow maker, bill to Medicare, $75k all in.

So what do you think a basilar skull fracture will cost? If it doesn't kill you, whcih is what it usuually does. Not counting your familie's grieving. So now that $700-1200 foer a head and neck fo a dangerous hobby doesn't seem so bad.

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
They may have just decided it wasn't a good financial decision to fight it and win. I recently got a patent that was in dispute for 7 years. The only people who made real money off it were the lawyers.

plane

plane

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:71
We al think that patents are great.... I have a tech friend who says "The problem with petents is that you have to defend them."

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:32

They may have just decided it wasn't a good financial decision to fight it and win. I recently got a patent that was in dispute for 7 years. The only people who made real money off it were the lawyers.

Know exactly what u mean Keith. I am in year 6 of another patent chase to the tune of $45K so far. Makes SM racing look cheap.

Cnj
  • Keith Novak likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

granracing

granracing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Here's why defnder is no longer being produced:

I spoke with the owner several weeks ago and he stated that was only one of the many reasons. He owns multiple businesses and from what I could read into our discussion this H&NR business had too many headaches and too low return on investment.
Dave Gran
Want to learn how to begin racing, tips on building / buying a racecar,
becoming a front-running drive, or get vehicle reviews
from a motorsports enthusiast perspective? Visit our free site:
GoAheadTakeTheWheel.com

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

He owns multiple businesses and from what I could read into our discussion this H&NR business had too many headaches and too low return on investment.

Similar info told by Defnder months ago when I called.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

forestdweller37

forestdweller37

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Region:Des Moines Valley
  • Car Year:1994
Looks like Def-n-der's back.

http://www.necksgen.com/index.html

Todd Tagget

Todd Tagget

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:42
I just called them.. It's actually a brand new company!!
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users