SCCA_Racer

SCCA_Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Region:San Fransisco
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:01
For the 2012 racing season I am considering adding a second camera to my car. I currently have a Go-Pro HD and I am considering a second, but I have heard a few things about the Contour HD. Has anybody else done a direct comparision of these two wide and camera? I am specifically interested in comparing three elements: Video Quality, Sound Quality, and Battery Life. Please let me know your opinion and experiences. Thanks.
Joshua
Joshua Fine
Sealed Spec Miata (SCCA)
Posted Image
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Talk to Juan Josh...loaded with info on the Contour!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Number:88
I had the first non HD version of the Go Pro and now use the Contour. The new Go Pro is probably much better than the old ones being that they film all sorts of reality TV shows with them, but I do like the Contour. Mine might have been a dud. It never did work well. The audio and video quality is great with the Contour. The battery life is much better although it requires their proprietary batteries that take forever to charge if you just plug it into your USB port rather than buy a charger. The image stabilization works impressively well. I've filmed some skiing with it that I thought would be very shaky and it looks much better than expected. I also like the big switch on top for ease of operation and the laser aiming system. When I wear it as a helmet cam it's like being Predator. B)
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
can anyone explain in simple terms also what is the difference between the Go Pro hero and Hero 2 ? I can't even figure that out?

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
The Hero 2 will shoot at higher frame rates, has higher resolution stills and more options how to shoot them, you have more choices of how wide an angle it shoots, it has a better lens, and a easier user interface.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

tako

tako

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
yes what he said but
biggest difference I see so far is low light indoor use,hd hero very dark on left and hd hero 2 on right you can easily make out details --same corner indoor kart track, video not altered
(I tried to put a picture in here but didn't come across, if someone explains how I will post later)

in car in daylight hd hero worked well for me last season; have yet to use my new hero 2 in car, but should be a touch better

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20
Tako, shouldn't that be spelled with a c?

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990
Out of the box, I thought the video quality of the Contour sucked and it was a bitch to setup compared to the Go Pro's idiot proof menu. Contour's software just plain didn't work on my PC when I tried to install it a year ago. Annoyed the hell out of me. However, once Juan did his magic on the camera, the video quality and sound quality greatly improved as did the space usage on the card. I'm satisfied with it now. So if you do decide to get one, save yourself the headache and time lost and get it from Juan.

More of my thoughts on video cameras are here:
http://blog.miatarac...contour-or.html

Here is a link (also on my blog) to a past discussion on Go Pro vs. Contour
http://mazdaracers.c...ero-or-contour/

There are some other options as well. Re Play has a camera that Cliff uses.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ernie Jr.

Ernie Jr.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:2012
  • Car Number:98
Back to Tako's question, how do you load a pic?

Ernie Francis Jr.
www.ErnieFrancisJrRacing.com
Pirelli World Challenge TCB/GTS Driver

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

G-Man

G-Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Region:Colorado Region
  • Car Year:1985
  • Car Number:45
I have a Contour HD1080P (now discontinued) and a brand-new GoPro Hero2 - but no comparison info yet. I think the Contour is very good so am eager to try the GoPro.

Biggest challenge for both is an easy, reliable remote on/off. No easy way to add a mechanical or electrical switch. Big pain when we're belted in!.

I was able to find Contour-size batteries elsewhere - they work well. And a cheapie car USB charger that works. PM/EM me for more info.

What are the mods that Juan does for the Contour? His posts on video are very helpful.

SCCA_Racer

SCCA_Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Region:San Fransisco
  • Car Number:01
Thanks guys for the info so far.
What about compared battery life or a hard wire setup? I am tempted to open up my Go-Pro HD and see about wiring in a dedicated power wire if possible since I mainly us it in the Spec Racer. It REALLY suck when the one minute signal is given and you hear the beep beep beep of the camera going off, or my other favorite as I make a great pass and look in my mirror and the camera is dead!!!
As far as my GoPro HD is concerned I really only have two complaints. 1) Battery Life 2)Recorded Video Format mp4. I currently pull the camera between run groups and put it on my phone charger to sustain the battery. Needless to say I have forgotten it between groups. I usually turn on my camera when the 5 minute signal is given, but I have moved my right side net making it now imposible to turn the camera on. I agree a remote on off would be very helpful for all of us when we get belted in. I was thinking a remote RF like that for a TV so its range would be short, but it could start multiple cameras recording at one time. Now to void my warranty and open the case!
Joshua Fine
Sealed Spec Miata (SCCA)
Posted Image
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Number:30
I'm using a regular camcorder, but the turn-on issues are the same. I make sure to buy a camcorder that has a mechanical on-off switch; that way it will power up when external power is applied. I built a regulator for the proper voltage, and supply it through a switch on the dash. I then mount the camcorder's remote to the windshield header with Dual-Lock. Quite easy to turn on the camcorder and set it to record, even while on track.

IMHO, any camcorder which can't be set to record externally is just useless for racing. That includes the original GoPro (anybody want mine cheap?), dunno about the later one or the Contour.

Mark McCallister

Mark McCallister

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:40
I don't have one, but from reading the web it seems like you can power the Hero/Hero2 via USB charger cable in the car, if you get the HD Skeleton Housing ($40).

To my eye the Hero2 has less of the rolling-shutter "jello" effect on the recorded video than the older camera.

I am planning to get a Hero2 and the Traqmate integration for auto-on/off this year.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Number:41

What about compared battery life or a hard wire setup? I am tempted to open up my Go-Pro HD and see about wiring in a dedicated power wire if possible since I mainly us it in the Spec Racer. It REALLY suck when the one minute signal is given and you hear the beep beep beep of the camera going off, or my other favorite as I make a great pass and look in my mirror and the camera is dead!!!
As far as my GoPro HD is concerned I really only have two complaints. 1) Battery Life 2)Recorded Video Format mp4. I currently pull the camera between run groups and put it on my phone charger to sustain the battery. Needless to say I have forgotten it between groups. I usually turn on my camera when the 5 minute signal is given, but I have moved my right side net making it now imposible to turn the camera on. I agree a remote on off would be very helpful for all of us when we get belted in. I was thinking a remote RF like that for a TV so its range would be short, but it could start multiple cameras recording at one time. Now to void my warranty and open the case!

You can get the GoPro skeleton case and wire up a USB charger for hardwire.

http://gopro.com/cam...eleton-housing/

And the WIFI backpack should be out soon which can control multiple cameras.

http://gopro.com/hd-...c-remote-combo/

I keep threatening to make a "backpack" for power and on/off, but time gets away from me now and again.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

Juan sold me a charger cable that plugs into the cigarette lighter. He suggested that if I'm feeling experimental that one could drill the rear cover and use the power cable to power on the Contour. Haven't gotten around to it yet...

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
The Contour isn't too bad for an on/off switch even though it's not remote. The camera stays on for 15 minutes with no activity until it shuts itself off. My old Hero was miserable for that. I had a lot of footage of what it's like to sit in pre-grid. I bring 2 batteries and video cards and swap them out after each session. They'll last 2 sessions easily but I sometimes forget to shut it off and get a lot of footage of what it's like to sit in impound.
  • Michael Colangelo likes this

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Number:30

The Contour isn't too bad for an on/off switch even though it's not remote. The camera stays on for 15 minutes with no activity until it shuts itself off.

What does it count as "activity"? It would be the pits to only get the first 15 minutes of a race.

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
Good point. Once the power is switched on, it will sit in standby mode for 15 min until you press another button or flip the recording switch to on. Once it's filming it will keep filming until the memory or battery runs out.

One thing to note about batteries though, they run out quickly when it's cold. I haven't done a comparision at many temps but skiing in the 30s I get less than an hour.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Number:41
Note, the gopro has a mode where it starts recording when it is turned on. One button record, it's called.
  • KentCarter likes this

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94
Need some camera help. I have a GoPro Hero HD and the thing has been miserable. It stops recording for no reason after less than a minute and fails to start recording some of the time. Is it possible this thing is just a dud and a new one would work well? Can anyone tell me that their Go Pro works flawlessly? Any other recommendations appreciated. Something that works well is more important to me than it being cheap.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users