Sacslider

Sacslider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:27
Quick 3 minute video. Take a look and let me know what you think...

Was leading both days and moving through SpecE30 traffic.
Craig Evans
NASA NorCal SpecMiata Director Retired
NASA Norcal Region Champion - SpecMiata 2011, 2013<p>
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Michael Colangelo

Michael Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Region:Southern California
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:23
My two cents: During the first race, the black E30 should have just let you by as there didn't appear to be any cars in his class nearby. In the second race, he was clearly chasing another E30 so expecting him to just slow down/go off line/etc. and let you by (and thereby giving up ground against the other E30) shouldn't be expected. You need to respect his racing battle, too, even if he might be the tail end charlie. He has just as much right to be there as you do. At around the 2:50 mark, he did give you room to pass.

I've been on both sides of this situation and learned the hard way (as in many positions lost) not to give up my ground to a faster out-of-class car when I'm battling it out with several cars in my class. When the time is right, I'll let the faster car by, but I won't give up a hard-fought position for it. Faster out-of-class drivers need to realize that.

Having said that, I tend to be a pretty cooperative driver.

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Number:68
I've seen worse, WAY WORSE, and pretty much in every national race last year... Hoy boy nothing pisses me off more!!!

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30
I see you've posted this in a NASA section, and I can't comment from the standpoint of NASA rules. From the standpoint of sportsmanship, it's always nice when another car gives you the point-by. But expecting it -- or trying to make the other guy look bad in public for not giving it to you -- seems like a poor display. It makes you look bad rather than him. Just because his competition is out of sight doesn't mean he's not competing, and he paid his entry fee just like you did. You should work your way past him, as you eventually did, and go about your race. In this instance, it never even cost you a position.
  • Michael Colangelo likes this

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
Not sure I completely agree with Jim, but at least there were other cars in the guy's class. Two years ago at T-hill double national, a guy in a 350z raced me hard while 1st and 2nd were just several cars lengths ahead and thats the way the race ended. I later heard the guys father was in the tower egging him on! I talked to him before the race and he said he wouldn't get into our race. Some people just can't help themselves!!

-bw

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Clueless...no excuse IMO. My guess is he wasn't looking in his mirrors. I don't think the poster is trying to make anyone look bad or looks bad himself. I think before every race with NASA out of class racing is addressed...and every effort is made to encourage drivers to be cooperative. Again, I just think the E30 driver was late to realize the car was there, but gave room on the 2nd attempts.

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
He blocked so I think it was on purpose. Yes, I've defended higher hp cars trying to maintain position but mostly because they tend to park it in the corners. In Craig's case it's highly likely the e30 could have benefited... defending certainly isn't doing anything for the e30 except slowing him down!

Oh and another thing about mixed classes, nobody really knows who's leading and who's lapping, there are too many classes to keep count. Just can't stop myself from extoling the benefits of racing with SCCA (regional) :D

-bw

Michael Colangelo

Michael Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Region:Southern California
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:23
Bruce, just wait until you have to get through a gaggle of B-SPEC cars! :lol:

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Bruce, just wait until you have to get through a gaggle of B-SPEC cars! :lol:

Yeah, let's hope they do that well. This is the year that will define them...

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
Out of class racing is just a painful fact of life at times. For some, depending on the class they run, it might be the only fun that have that race. I would prefer they just run there line and I will find were to pass them. I don't appreciate blocking by an out of class guy anymore than an in class car and deal with them the same way by letting them know, after awhile, i am there and faster.

I try to return the professionalism, when I am caught by a faster class car, I run my line and don't block but let them decide when is the time to pass, me, I just want to run a consistent line. That is not to say I have never pointed a out of class car by, it just depends on the circumstances. If i am anywhere near contention of the next car, I am eyes forward and assume they will make good decisions.

I never expect a point by or a lift.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Region:NorCal
For those who are not NorCal NASA regulars, the race directors cover out of class racing expectations at EVERY DRIVERS' MEETING. I was at this event and I know for a fact that Will went over this at the drivers' meeting on Saturday. If an out of class car catches you from behind and you are not actively engaged with another in-class car, it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to help the out-of-class car by you quickly and efficiently.

That being said, I think the first example in the video is exactly what the race directors are trying to avoid. A back marker car should not be racing the out-of-class cars "playing through". In the second video, the E30's are all actively engaged in battle, so I'd have slightly different expectations of them. The E30 that moves off line to defend at T4 is actually hurting himself more by moving so far off line. Let's face it, he's towards the back of a huge E30 field, so he's probably not a hugely experienced racer. He's not going to make perfect race craft decisions.

Jim - your assessment of the situation is true - the other driver paid his fee, too. However, the race directors' orders for the event (and every single NorCal race event) are that out-of-class racing isn't permitted unless both drivers have agreed ahead of time that it's what they want to do. For instance, on grid for the Group C race at this very same event, I asked the drivers of two out of class cars if it was OK for me to race with them, since there were no other SU cars around my same lap time. Both said, "as long as I'm not actively racing against another car in MY class, let's go for it." Had they said no, I would have respected that and treated them differently on track.

Cheers,

Dean

Former driver

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
  • Car Year:1999
In the first instance, no problem. If you choose to race off line in a corner you may have to adjust your speed. He obviously slid out a bit. In the second instance, I seriously doubt he intentionally blocked you. I think he was so focused on the in class car ahead he didnt' know you were there and was moving right to try to out brake his opponent heading into 4...just my opinion. Congratulations on doing so well, but I'd tone back the use of the headlights. A bit too aggressive for me and I don't think it will win many friends in the paddock. It's just club racing after all!

And we know how Bruce feels about mixed class racing! :spin:
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

In the first instance, no problem. If you choose to race off line in a corner you may have to adjust your speed. He obviously slid out a bit. In the second instance, I seriously doubt he intentionally blocked you. I think he was so focused on the in class car ahead he didnt' know you were there and was moving right to try to out brake his opponent heading into 4...just my opinion. Congratulations on doing so well, but I'd tone back the use of the headlights. A bit too aggressive for me and I don't think it will win many friends in the paddock. It's just club racing after all!

This thinking just makes me shake my head. Even at the back of the pack, it is every drivers responsibility to be aware. Headlights are a common tool to try and catch the eye of a slower driver...done in every single SM race I've ever seen. Very similar to the corner workers waving a blue/yellow flag at you!!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Okay Bill, I've got some video that would even make you :weeping: give me a day or so to compile and post.

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60
Craig:
Operating under the assumption that he was the last car in the field, IMHO the E30 was a bone head both days. If you are Tail End Charlie, you simply need to pay attentiomn to your mirrors and get the #@*! out of the way. The typical backmarker is watching (sometimes even too much) for overtaking traffic and they make way for the leaders. This guy neded to do so as well.
Rick

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year