• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:7
Posted Image

This week episode we talk about:

• Has the changes to the SCCA SM class rules worked.

• Does NASA contingency programs make it one of the best values in Club Racing?

• SCCA Convention Report

GoRacingTV.com is excited to announce the airing of its latest original content web video show “Racing No Filters”. This edgy, Mazda centric talk show hosted by Errol Tucker, Jim Daniels and Mike “Meathead” Collins, will address all the facts, rumors and myths surrounding racing Mazda’s at the club and ProAm level.

Co-Host Jim Daniels said, “I earned my “No Filter” status when I was terminated (I was the first SM Ad Hoc Chairman) in 2002 for not keeping the secret that Spec Miata was slated to be “REGIONAL ONLY”. Later, in 2007, I got another stripe when I was heavily compensated by the club for disallowing my MX5 from SSB competition weeks before the Runoffs. Don’t get me wrong, I love the club and the systems you must work to be successful in the club. I’ve been a Mazda insider for over two decades now. I have owned and raced all generations of the rotary cars, four platforms of the front wheel drive cars and all MX5 models. In 1988 I drove a 1979 RX7 in my first drivers school and in 2008 I drove the factory Mazda-6 in World-Challenge, what a ride it has been! I think we will find a way for this show to be very interesting. NO FILTER BABY!!”

“Many folks in both the SCCA and NASA know how passionate I am about Sports Car Racing and that I am inclined to say what I think without filter. If you hang around me long enough you’re certainly going to hear me say “that’s not what the rule says”, or “if you read the rules you would know”. I enjoy being on the outside looking in, it allows me to hold the various clubs leadership accountable for their actions, that doesn’t mean I am just a user or customer, I get actively involved in many capacities and volunteer my time freely. I am really looking forward to this format and weekly show” says co-host Mike Collins Partner-Founder MEATHEAD Racing, SMAC Member and Internet TV Celebrity at GoRacingTV.com.

“It’s no secret that the Spec Miata class and community is one of the largest in club racing, it’s only natural that we try to address that communities desire for interesting video content. It’s something many SM drivers have emailed us about for quite some time”, said Errol Tucker executive producer of GoRacingTV.com.

The show will air Sunday nights weekly at 8:00pm EDT on GoRAcingTV.com and MazdaRacers.com. Viewers are urged to chime in and give your thoughts of the host’s commentary.

About GoRacingTV.com Inc.
GoRacingTV is the premier web-video channel for the club racing/grassroots racing community. GoRacingTV.com began airing episodes of its instructional video shows, the “Club Racer” and “Auto Crosser” web-based video shows in February of 2009, but has quickly become the site where club racers can obtain updated information and news related to the amateur racing community. Presently, GoRacingTV produces several video programs for the grassroots racing community. GoRacingTV also provides a daily updated news article section on the front page of its site, for those fans who either cannot or do not want to view video for their news. These articles cover news from the entire top Amateur and Pro Racing series in the US. For the past two years GoRacingTV.com has provided video coverage of the SCCA Chicago Region June Sprints, airing all 9 racing groups from the event. GoRacingTV has also covered the past two years of the SCCA Championship Runoffs and the NASA Championships, producing a daily evening news show from the event informing fans of breaking news in a format similar to a standard network evening news show. GoRacingTV.com has partnered with some of the top Sports Car series in the U.S. and Canada to host their racing video archives. Racing fans around the world can now come to the GoRacingTV.com web site to see racing from their favorite series, SCCA Pro Racing Trans AM and Spec Racer Ford Series, Mazda Playboy MX5 Cup, Dodge Viper Cup, Star Mazda and Canadian Touring Car to name a few. This is just a handful of some of the video coverage available on GoRacingTV.com
Errol J Tucker Sr.
www.GoRacingTV.com
tucker@GoRacingTV.com
410-929-GRTV

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
No feedback? I guess I will just need to go on more rants!
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91
Yeah, this one was a lot softer than the first one. Only thing that was no-filter-ish was wanting to tear down a gorilla.

Otherwise your points weren't too controversial:
- Miata weights good
- NASA toyo money crazy but good
- Shorter runoffs good idea but weak implementation

Hasn't Sammy been a real competitor at both NASA Nats and the runoffs? I'm not sure it's fair to imply the gorilla will be the first fast guy to show up at the NASA show.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39
Actually Mike, I commented to Fowler this morning that Episode 2 was excellent. Did not expect you guys to take on the establishment as directly as you have done. Kudos for that.

I think dealing with things straight on gets cuts to the chase. Some of us who have only been around SCCA for only a few years are getting a better insight into how things work. Both episodes illuminated some of the issues that are frustrating to us all, and we are not trying to change things the way you are. I am hoping that Danhert is paying attention to the number defection and is going to throw some young blood at the governing body. Paying corner workers works in NASA - why not try it at SCCA on a limited scale and see if it works.

Thanks to Jim for bringing up the lopsided situation with drivers being accountable, yet nothing for the stewards. The debacle at the 2011 June Sprints was never resolved to anyone's satisfaction, especially to those who qualified up front.
When a driver screws up he generally screws it up for a few. But when a steward screws up he can screw it up for many, yet with no repercussion.

As to Gorriaran being denied a license to race in the SCCA pro series, personally I am a bit disappointed by that. Guy can drive, and his race with Elivan at the Runoffs was superb. I know I will get stick for this, but Elivan has been getting all the props for the drive, but I still think Steve drove one heck of a race. His personality has worn thin with lots over the years, and I am sure there is more to all this than I am aware of. If Steve runs NASA Nats, then I have no doubt that he will attract a lot more serious guys go race with him. So sad that NASA is such a bust here in the SE. This past weekend at Road Atlanta was a perfect example of just how broken the formula is down here.

Thanks for the programming

and tell Errol its a HUGE improvement with video hosting through YouTube - the GoRacingTV servers were painfully slow

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

I am hoping that Danhert is paying attention to the number defection and is going to throw some young blood at the governing body. Paying corner workers works in NASA - why not try it at SCCA on a limited scale and see if it works.

+1

and the stewards being accountable is a good idea but I think there is a gap in the reasoning.

1. pay workers
2. ???
3. workers are accountable

Unless you can pay them enough to make an effective threat to fire them (and find some sucker to replace them).... :)
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22
In our division it is painfully obvious the SCCA has been unable to lower the mean age of the corner workers, stewards, and tech officials. The demographics are too homogeneous and we stand to be in bad shape as this group moves into the nursing homes in the next few years. Even the younger workers that we do have seem to be taking their lead from the older folks. They are just waiting in line to inherit their fiefdom. There are few excellent folks who keep things running despite the others. Sydney Davis, saved the day for most of the SM drivers at the Super Tour event by navigating the nuances of SCCA decision making process. Dianne Carter is top notch timing and scoring official, we need more like them.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Blake Clements

Blake Clements

• Moderators
  • 305 posts
  • Car Number:6
You guys act the the NASA Nationals is a powderpuff? The year I went in 08 - Drago, Bennett, both Pombos, Todd Lamb and Sammy V were all there. Same guys have all run up front at Runoffs too.
  • Glenn and Charlie Hayes like this

Blake Clements

http://www.blakeclements.com - Driver Coaching, Consulting, & Video/Data Analysis.

OPM Autosports/SP Induction Systems/X-Factor Racing/G-Loc Brakes/Traqmate/Bell Helmets

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner -

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

You guys act the the NASA Nationals is a powderpuff? The year I went in 08 - Drago, Bennett, both Pombos, Todd Lamb and Sammy V were all there. Same guys have all run up front at Runoffs too.

Yeah I agree... Good point

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79
Meathead, stop exaggerating. the 1.6 is old enough without you declaring they are 25 years old. :)
  • Charlie Hayes likes this

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Mitch Reading

Mitch Reading

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:65

But with the exception of Sammy (and maybe Lamb... what was the year he went in the yellow car?) none have gone back since I don't think. Definitely not "powerpuff" but not the depth of entry list at the Runoffs eithers.

Mike and Errol, great shows. Keep 'em coming.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Lamb was in my yellow car in 09. He won in his own purple car in 07 and 08.

I don't think the top step is any easier, the depth may have been a little deeper in last few Runoffs. But the top step is the top step.
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Mitch Reading

Mitch Reading

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:65
Jim, where is the love back to Meat on the pot shots regarding the motor program :king:
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Jim, where is the love back to Meat on the pot shots regarding the motor program :king:

Sounded like respect to me.

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
During this episode there was discussion about Steve Gorriaran, I informed Errol, JD, Mike & now you all about some details pertaining to that discussion:
  • NASA has an internal policy that allows them to extend other organizations suspensions to NASA events, especially if the infractions are for overly aggressive on-track and/or paddock behavior.
  • Mr. Gorriaran has been notified that he will not be allowed to compete in any NASA events until his SCCA suspension has been lifted, this will include the 2013 NASA Nationals.
  • This decision was made at the highest levels within NASA (meaning, I had no part in it) and no appeal will be granted to Mr. Gorriaran unless he can prove that his SCCA license was not actually suspended.

Okay, fire away.... :duck:
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

During this episode there was discussion about Steve Gorriaran, I informed Errol, JD, Mike & now you all about some details pertaining to that discussion:

• NASA has an internal policy that allows them to extend other organizations suspensions to NASA events, especially if the infractions are for overly aggressive on-track and/or paddock behavior.
  • Mr. Gorriaran has been notified that he will not be allowed to compete in any NASA events until his SCCA suspension has been lifted, this will include the 2013 NASA Nationals.
  • This decision was made at the highest levels within NASA (meaning, I had no part in it) and no appeal will be granted to Mr. Gorriaran unless he can prove that his SCCA license was not actually suspended.
Okay, fire away.... :duck:

That's probably why Mr. G was denied in SCCA pro. Hell, that's even the same parent org. The racing world is pretty small and phone calls happen. Maybe he could try circle track for a season to get his fix?
  • Glenn likes this

wreckerboy

wreckerboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Region:NJ
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:53
Nice EMRA trophy in the background, Mike!
Rob Myles | "I didn't lose, I got out-painted!"
Hero To The Momentum Challenged
WDCR SSM #30

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users