• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
In the recent "14 year old" thread concern was raised about the lack of NASA compliance tech at the event.

My personal 10 year experience/observation is that with the exception of the Nationals I have never witnessed invasive tech at a NASA event. Mostly just weight and a cursory peak under the hood.

Am I wrong?
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve D

Steve D

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:30
I can only speak for what's been teched at NASA Southeast races. Since I've been series director (13 months), a few specific things we've checked are:

- cam lobe dimensions
- absence of adjustable cam gears
- weights
- plates
- rotor diameters
- sway bar diameters
- exhaust diameter & routing
- airboxes
- ballast location
- wheel spacers
- unmolested shock towers
- ferrous driveshafts

... and a few other things that I'd rather not give some of you ideas about. :lol:

The feedback I've gotten from racers in my region has been universally positive. I think that the proof is in the pudding - our races have been close enough that the consensus is everyone is compliant. We can -- and will if necessary -- get more invasive with tech but for now the general once-over seems to be working.

I routinely solicit and receive recommended tech items from guys in and out of my region. I'm all ears (and not just physically).
  • john mueller, JBlaisdell, Caveman-kwebb99 and 2 others like this

Steve DeVinney
Retired mediocre driver

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Region:NorCal
At NorCal NASA, we've checked the following over the last couple seasons:
- restrictor plates (of course!)
- final drive ratio
- clutch and flywheel (visual inspection only with starter removed and boroscope through clutch lever boot hole)
- track and wheel spacers
- compression (whistled)
- dyno'd top 5 cars to look for anomolies
- we have access to a shock dyno but haven't used it... yet.

This list is just off the top of my head that I remember going through.

Cheers,

Dean

Former driver

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Armando Ramirez

Armando Ramirez

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:76
NASA Southeast tech is very inclusive - I like.

JRHille

JRHille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Number:48
Great Lakes tech has never been anything but weight and restrictors for the newer cars ( i think ). Every now and then they will look for adjustable sway bars and restrictor plates on my 1.6 :noidea: . The last few events have included a dyno run for the top few guys from the session.

1999 Spec Miata
Hilltrux - Roush - V2 Motorsports - ESR

BFG Supertour Winner - SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Only been to one SE event so clearly not the definitive opinion, but weight only.

CruzanTom

CruzanTom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Number:44

I can only speak for what's been teched at NASA Southeast races. Since I've been series director (13 months),

Steve forgot to mention the NASA-SE tested the 10 second exit, too.

Since Steve races in SM this year, he has offered to let any other SM racer pick Tech items on his car. He still wins!

Tom Hart

#44 SM and T-4

2014 SC Driver of the Year

2015 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

2016 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jaime Florence

Jaime Florence

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:96
Also in NorCal NASA we have been tested for:
- Alternator Test
- Wheel minimum weight
- Visual inspection of ECU's
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Visual inspection of ECU's

I don't care who you are - that there is funny!

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
Why is that funny? Breaking open an ECU to see if it has been tampered with isn't going to catch every cheat, but it might catch some. Just like dyno pulls on the top 5 cars, you aren't going to DQ someone based on the result of that specific test, but it might be the indicator to look deeper.

Visual inspection of ECU's was something they did at the NASA Nationals in 2009 and 2010.

Dean

Former driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
I guess I'm ignorant. I did not know you can visually tell a re-flashed chip.

Who knew?!

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
No one said you could. Reflashing is one way to cheat an ECU but not necessarily the only way. Every tech item doesn't have to be an absolutely definitive test to be useful.

Dean

Former driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

Why is that funny? Breaking open an ECU to see if it has been tampered with isn't going to catch every cheat, but it might catch some.

The one's that are good at flashing chips are good enough to be able to get the assembly back together so you couldn't tell.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get a stock 1.6 to rev to 7400 rpm or so using only drafting, reducing drag and rolling resistance..... :scratchchin: :whistling: :king:

The local Hornet class goes through more tech than many club sports car events.

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
It's all in the hub grease. I'm experimenting with this...

http://www.netmercur...pacegrease.aspx

Sure it's $1600 a pound, but if I no longer need the draft and can rev to 7500, it's worth it!

Former driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

I'm still trying to figure out how to get a stock 1.6 to rev to 7400 rpm or so using only drafting, reducing drag and rolling resistance..... :scratchchin: :whistling: :king:

NOW I don't care who you are - that THERE is funny!
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

No one said you could. Reflashing is one way to cheat an ECU but not necessarily the only way. Every tech item doesn't have to be an absolutely definitive test to be useful.

A few yes ago in SoCal (when Angela was the SoCal Dir) after qualifying the top two NB's had their ECU's swap'ed for that days race... Post race one was confiscated (based on feedback from one of the drivers) and was sent to Mazda to test. That ECU was found to be altered, resulting in a DQ for the original owner... There are a few ways to skin that cat.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Number:26

A few yes ago in SoCal (when Angela was the SoCal Dir) after qualifying the top two NB's had their ECU's swap'ed for that days race... Post race one was confiscated (based on feedback from one of the drivers) and was sent to Mazda to test. That ECU was found to be altered, resulting in a DQ for the original owner... There are a few ways to skin that cat.

Feedback like "He can keep my ECU, I want his" :)

High Chair

High Chair

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:CFR
  • Car Number:97

I don't care who you are - that there is funny!

Yep! Thats an ECU :noidea:
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

High Chair

High Chair

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:CFR
  • Car Number:97

NOW I don't care who you are - that THERE is funny!

Im not all that happy that I could not go to Atlanta tis weekend but I must say this forum is really cheering me up.
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
As always if NASA will have me, I will be back at the National Championships again. I think the competitors have enjoyed the level of tech that bring to this exciting event.
  • dstevens, john mueller, Glenn and 1 other like this
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users